• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

McLouth's Eye-Exam Comment Has Pirates' Brass Seeing Red

• Moderators

During the Braves' spring-training 4-2 victory over the Pirates Thursday, a beat writer for Pittsburgh's version of the AJC (Post-Gazette) asked former Pirate Nate McLouth about the differences in atmosphere between the Bravos and the Buccos...

"After watching what went on last summer ... I was kind of lucky to be the first one to get sent out... It feels good to be in an organization that talks about the playoffs this year ... and not have to talk about years down the road. It's good to have that feeling in spring training... Things are a lot more positive and relaxed, from what I've noticed [with Atlanta]. People aren't as uptight. Losing for so long, there are so many negative things said about the Pirates. It's tough to read, being on that side. Defensive. But the thing is, it's true. That's tough to deal with every day, it's tough to deal with that negativity."

Later in the interview, when asked about his new contact lenses, McLouth remarked...

"Guess they do [an eye exam] in spring training, but a blind man could pass that test. So I'd never really done a full eye exam. Got home a couple of days after the season ended and ended up getting contacts. It was kind of interesting to find that out when I got home. ... The way I describe it, it's kind of like going from watching standard-definition television to watching HD. It just kind of sharpens things up a bit. It has been a big help. Absolutely. Both in seeing pitches and in the outfield."

Somehow, that statement was perceived as a dig at the Pirates' medical staff, perhaps errantly since it was offered in the context of the full interview. On Friday, senior Post-Gazette muckraker Bob Smizik (no relation to Larry from the Three Stooges) presented the statement above to Pirates president Coonelly, who got -- surprise! -- defensive and uptight, and basically suggested that Nate needs to shut his big McMouth:

"The medical treatment that the Pirates provide its players is a serious matter that we take extremely seriously. It is not a matter, in our opinion, that is appropriate for humor. If Nate was not attempting to be light-hearted with our beat writers, then his recollection of the eye exams that he received each year during spring training with the Pirates is not very good.

"We provide comprehensive vision screens to each player during spring training. Indeed, since we came on board two years ago we have added additional tests to the players’ eye exams.

"I would not and am not legally permitted under HIPPA to discuss any player’s medical information. I have, however, reviewed the eye exam records of our players and am convinced that our players receive an extensive eye screening during each spring training and that any issue that is detected during the screens or that is reported by the player is treated appropriately by the outstanding eye doctors whom we employ for their benefit.

"The eye doctors who had provided these services to Nate over the last five years were surprised, disappointed and hurt by his comment."

Awww! C'mon, Pirates, group hug, group hug!

I read McLouth's comment as a subtle critique of the spring-training eye exams provided to all MLB players (as the lenses he received came AFTER the Braves' season ended, by an eye doctor at the University of Michigan, not during the Braves spring training) and not of any one team's medical staff. I also saw the reaction of the Post-Gazette, its readers, and Pirates' brass as a picture-perfect example of what Nate alluded to: the hyper-sensitivity of a team, its media, and its raw-rubbed fans, when an organization has failed to put competitive entertainment on the field in the two decades since the day Sid Bream slid safely home.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3