• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It took 6 years for Mike Woodson to get 49 wins...6 years.

MVP23

• Premium Member

What was the last team to win 60 games without a superstar?

'06 Pistons. And I'd argue that JJ is better than any of Boston's Big 3 (plus Rondo) last year, when the Celts won 62. Of course, having 3-4 not-quite-superstars is better than having 1 not-quite-superstar and 3 borderline All-Stars.

I actually always like to analogize JJ to Boston's Big 3: He's not good enough to be a one-man franchise, but he is good enough that if you can acquire 1-2 other players of his caliber plus other solid players to fill out the rotation, you'll contend. But the Hawks don't have the Celtics' (and Knicks' and Lakers') luxury of being a cash cow even when the team is losing, and it's tough to build a team like that on a "normal" NBA team's budget.

Edited by niremetal

Yeah- the pistons will always be intersting to me- they were the only team in the last 30 years or so to win a championship without a superstar as well.

The worry I have with JJ is that at this point he may realize that if he is the best player on a team then he will never compete for a championship. And his best chance to play with a superstar is to leave in FA this offseason.

Edited by spotatl