• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dermarr Impressed? Hear what Dermarr has to say...

Admin

In reply to:

Dan Dickau is used to being the vocal leader on the court, barking out orders that lead to NCAA tournament appearances.

But on his first day at the Hawks' two-a-day practices Wednesday, the former Gonzaga star mostly kept quiet. Bright-eyed and bushy-haired, he stood attentively, nodding and taking advice from coaches and veteran players.

He knows there will be time for directing traffic later. Right now, he's just trying to get a feel for where he fits into his new team.

"My nature is always lead by example first. Then, when I get comfortable, I get a little more vocal," Dickau said. "Once I get to know the guys on the floor, I'll start talking a little more."

Dickau will get to know his teammates very well in the next couple of weeks. In a camp usually reserved for rookies and free agents, a number of Hawks veterans --- including Theo Ratliff, Chris Crawford, Dion Glover and DerMarr Johnson --- will play at Shaw's Pro Summer League in Boston next week.

Meanwhile, after shaking the rust off his jumper and struggling with his passes to the post Wednesday, Dickau was pleased with his first workout as a pro.

"As far as picking up things, playing hard, those sorts of things, I thought it was a good first day," he said. "Wish I could've knocked down a few more shots, but the opportunity didn't present itself too much."

Hawks coaches also came away impressed with Dickau's grasp of the mental game after only two hours of practice.

There were "no big surprises today," Hawks coach Lon Kruger said. "He's a guy who will definitely be in the rotation from the start."

Kruger and Hawks assistant coach Eric Musselman, who will coach the summer league team, were reluctant to praise the No. 28 overall pick too much after such a short time. But they and the Hawks players are looking forward to throwing Dickau into the fray and seeing how he reacts in game situations.

"He made some real good plays today," Johnson said. "The one behind-the-back move where he split through the screen really impressed me. I know everybody is wondering how he's going to do."

Etc.

Ratliff and his wife Kristina welcomed their fourth child, a 6-pound, 12-once girl named Sasha on July 2. Ratliff said he's spending as much time with her as he can before going to Boston for the final three games of next week's camp.

Ratliff apparently did not inform the team's publicists of the child's birth until Wednesday.