• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

UGA rumor from good source

coachx

I hear from a person "close" to the situation that UGA strength and conditioning coach, David Van Halanger will retire and Joe Tereshiski III will be hired as the replacement. Most know him as a former UGA QB that was forced to start his first game vs. Florida when DJ Shockley was hurt. He began the next season, his senior year, as the starter but was hurt in the South Carolina game. MAtt Stafford took the job at that point and never looked back. His farther, uncle, and grandfather also played college football. His father coached at UGA for many years with Dooley and I believe he is still involved with the athletic program in some capacity.

I also hear John Kasey Sr. will be the Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach. He is the father of the Carolina Panthers kicker, and former Clarke Central and UGA kicker John Kasey, Jr. I went to HS with him.

Hallanger has held this position since 2001 under Mark Richt. Its is no secret they are best of friends and "running buddies." Him retiring will prevent Richt from having to fire a close friend.

All the talk is that Van Halanger was an "old school" coach and was not using the more modern or ground breaking workout regiments and technology that many other progams are now using. For instance I know there is a new rave in monitoriong players heart rates in practice to see when performance drops. Every player has their own drop off point. I know for a fact that Thomas Dimitroff and the Falcons were the 1st NFL team to utilize this tool. Word is that Tereshiski III is up on all the cutting edge work out practices that these Bulldogs have been missing out on.

Edited by coachx

Damn ! I got the call at 1:30 and the AJC posted it at 4:25.........10 minutes before I had a chance to post it here. I thought I was actually breaking news.

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2010/12/02/tereshinski-replaces-van-halanger-as-dogs-strength-director/?cxntfid=blogs_uga_sports_blog

Looks my source was wrong. Tereshinski II (not III) is the new S & C Coach. No word yet if John Kasey if actually the assistant or not.

I'm scratching my head on this one. Why promote a guy who has been in the program for 30 years ? Its really seemed like a new voice is needed here. I think my source automatically thought it must be T. III..............this T. II hire makes no sense at all.

The other rumor is the Rodney Gardner and the new defensive coaches do not get along. I think Gardner is toast but I expect this to stay quiet until after the Feb 1 signing day to keep current recruits happy. If nothing else he will be given a different title. Maybe limiting his new title to just "Recruiting Coordinator" to get him away from the other defensive coaches. I hear Rodney G. and Todd G. don't get along at all. That is not good if true.

Edited by coachx

Here it is, blog is updated to include John Kasey as the new Assistant S & C Coach.

John Kasay, the Bulldogs’ strength and conditioning director under former coach Vince Dooley, is expected to be an assistant strength coach under Tereshinski.

Interesting. I hope Tereshiski is up on everything if he is hired. It makes me nervous when former Richt players are hired without any experience coaching ala Mike Bobo.

I was wrong.

Its his father getting a promotion who has been at UGA since 1982. JFYI.......Bobo played under Donnan and was a very cerebral QB. He had the physical talent of most player's pinky toe but he was a heck of a college QB with what he had to work with. He worked for Richt for like 6 or 7 years as QB coach before he became OC. His offense was pretty darn good this year.

Truth be told, I would be happier if it was son. I just think that is a "young man's" job to have. Waking players up at 5 AM for mat drills and such. Did you see the ESPN Special on Alabama's off season ? There little red headed S & C coach is an animal. He got me so fired up I was ready to put on a hemet. " This little man makes monsters !" He kept yelling......and he is right. I just can't see an old guy being that intense. "If it feels good then you aint doin; it right ! I love when grabbed the bar when the guy was doing curls and yelled this is my ball ! Perhaps our RB should get familiar with a similar drill with their fumble issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbMeEOCNfTQ

I want him !

Talk about 4th quarter motivation !

How did you like that !

Edited by coachx

I doubt UGA's old farts have half of his intensity.

I'm wrong again according to David Pollack.

http://blogs.ajc.com/junkyard-blawg/2010/12/03/richts-latest-move-fans-debate-old-school-vs-new-blood/?cxntfid=blogs_junkyard_blawg

As UGA kicking great Rex Robinson put it: “Most fans expected an infusion of new blood. What Coach Mark Richt has done instead is withdraw what can only be described as ‘cord blood’ to this football program. How many times has the DawgNation screamed for the days of Erk Russell. The old school approach to winning football. Hard work, toughness and a junkyard mentality. Well here you go Dawg fans.”

Indications are that the Tereshinski way will differ radically from the way Van Halanger handled things. As former player David Pollack told Bulldogs Blog, Van Halanger and Tereshinski are “polar opposites.”

He described Van Halanger as “one of the sweetest human beings you’ll ever meet” and “a father-figure guy.”

As for Coach T., Pollack said, “you can go to him anytime you want to, but he might have a switch waiting for you. He’s very, very old school. … I don’t think there’s anyone that ever pushed me harder than Coach T. Just old school, hard work, you’re going to do things the hard way.”

And who’s to say that old-school Tereshinski won’t embrace whatever the latest developments are in the field? Reportedly, another hire will be added to the strength and conditioning staff, and that might well mean some fresh ideas added to the mix. Old dogs do learn new tricks.

Bottom line: The Dogs of late have been getting whipped in the fourth quarter with regularity and that’s not what characterized Georgia football in the days when Tereshinski and Kasay were players.

It remains to be seen if the players, too often coddled in the Richt regime, will buy into Coach T’s old-school approach, but Pollack seemed optimistic in that regard when he Tweeted that Tereshinski will be a “great fit 4 young kids who think they know it all.”

Read more: http://dawg-extra.blogspot.com/2010/12/georgia-set-to-announce-changes-in.html#ixzz1745UYgHM

David Pollack, the former All-American linebacker at Georgia, described Tereshinski and Van Halanger as "polar opposites", and for that reason thinks the move could be beneficial.

“Coach Van Halanger is one of the sweetest human beings you’ll ever meet," Pollack said. "Such a good team builder and motivator. One of those guys you could always go to. A father-figure type guy. Coach T, you can go to him anytime you want to, but he might have a switch waiting for you. He’s very, very old school.

"I don’t think there’s anyone that ever pushed me harder than coach T. Just old school, hard work, you’re going to do things the hard way. He’s just got that really passionate, fiery, he’s gonna let you know if you’re not doing it his way. It’s different.”

---

Here's an update: Joe Tereshinski, whose current title is strenght and conditioning and video coordinator, is being put in charge of the entire strength program, and John Kasay Sr. is being coming on board as an assistant. That's according to a source.

Kasay was the assistant strength coach under Vince Dooley. His son is a former Bulldog kicker now with the NFL's Carolina Panthers.

A former player, who will remain anonymous because the move hasn't been made official, was fully on board with the change: "Coach T is a stud. I'm telling you that is such a great move it ain't even funny."

http://www.roughingthekicker.com/new-blood-is-old-school/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RtkByRexRobinson+%28RTK+by+Rex+Robinson%29

• 2 weeks later...