• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

End of age restriction...

Scout200

• Moderators

Makes it a worse product for fans. Gives players more time to earn money as veterans so I understand why they want it.

I hope they raise it to require 2 years from high school.

Edited by AHF

• Admin

Makes it a worse product for fans. Gives players more time to earn money as veterans so I understand why they want it.

I hope they raise it to require 2 years from high school.

I agree...it hurts college ball and it also hurts a lot of those players who think they are ready for the NBA out of high school (90% are not).

I say make it 21 or 3 years removed like the NFL.

I think by raising the age restriction it will help aging players keep their roster spot. I see roster space wasted on "potential." most the time those young guys never develop anyway

• Moderators

I think by raising the age restriction it will help aging players keep their roster spot. I see roster space wasted on "potential." most the time those young guys never develop anyway

Bingo. Even guys who do make it like Tracy McGrady would have been more marketable and entertaining coming with two years of development under their belts. Toronto smartly drafted him and then got very little out of him because he spent half his time in Toronto playing a minor role developing rather than being ready to contribute and that is a star coming from HS. As a fan, you want teams to have meaningful scouting reports on prospects and for the guys at the top of the draft to be able to hit the ground running and not spend their first few years getting their feet wet.

Bingo. Even guys who do make it like Tracy McGrady would have been more marketable and entertaining coming with two years of development under their belts. Toronto smartly drafted him and then got very little out of him because he spent half his time in Toronto playing a minor role developing rather than being ready to contribute and that is a star coming from HS. As a fan, you want teams to have meaningful scouting reports on prospects and for the guys at the top of the draft to be able to hit the ground running and not spend their first few years getting their feet wet.

Excellent point!

Another thing is I think there's a question as to whether coming in early adds any time to a player's career. Can't point to anything specific, but seen/read various things saying that these guys just wear out sooner if they start younger due to the rigors of the pro game and maybe coming in less than completely grown up. Plus, if they don't get the fundamentals from a good college coach, its even harder to pick them up in the NBA. I agree with raising the age so that they have to go at least 2 years out of college, and maybe 3. I could see for some guys who just don't want to, or can't make it to college maybe having them in the NBDL or something for a few years. I guess another option is Eurpoe. Jennings from the Bucks did that, and it probably helped him.

Another thing is its tough enough to figure out if a guy will be a good pro coming out of college. Coming out of HS is just a crap shoot, so teams really are just gambling more.