• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks overcame Magic, but how much re-tooling is needed to beat Chicago

hawks21

The Hawks weren't as athletic as many people suggested and with a backcourt of aging Joe Johnson, a 30-something Jamal Crawford and even though Hinrich done alright-- he is 30 years old...

Jeff Teague's emergence is great, but another playmaking, athletic guard who can play defense (break down defenses) is needed along with an athletic small forward with a skill set of a Carmelo Anthony, but can defend... (Stacey Augmon with a reliable jump shot)

Marvin Williams is likely gone, but who is going to defend Lebron next year for the Hawks?

Philadelphia's athleticism bothered the Hawks this past season and resulted in one of those home blowouts, so I hope management addresses this concern of the lack of athleticism at the guard and small forward positions.

Jeff Teague provided a glimpse of what kind of style is effective against a team like the Bulls, but this team needs more players such as Teague if the Hawks are going to compete against the Bulls, Heat and even Philly...

nba_u_rose_b1_576.jpg

Edited by hawks21

• Premium Member

I think you make some valid points, but the Hawks desperately need more size and a post prescence to feed off of offensively. You can't win being a perimeter, jump shooting team no matter how athletic you are.

Edited by Jody23

I don't think the Hawks need that much retooling. There are a lot of negative comments on this board about this team but they did better than I personally expected. Heck, many believed that they wouldn't get out of the first round and, if they did, would be swept by the Bulls.

Hawks obviously need a center who can score down low along with playing hard defense.

They need some sort of upgrade at SF. Taj Gibson owned the Hawks in the 4th quarter of game 5... K'mon now...

The bench needs some improvement as well... at SF for the most part.

I think our pieces to trade are Marvin and Jamal (would like to keep him if we can though)

The way I see it is:

PG: Teague or Kirk start (I don't really mind which one, but keep both)

SG: Joe with Jamal off the bench

SF: Josh and new bench SF

PF: Al with Josh subbing in every now and then... + filler

C: Whoever they can get... with Z and Collins off the bench

The idea being that Josh plays about half his minutes at SF and the other half "off the bench" at PF.

Look, I know this is said just about every year, but I think both Josh and Al haven't reached their full potential. Josh is getting it, don't give up on him just yet.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think what should have been learned from this is that...defense and rebounding is what wins. It's not just cliche, it's the truth. This team has to become more physical dedensively and on the boards and they need new personnel to ensure that happens.