• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Meruelo banks on creating more Hawks interest

johnnyde

When Alex Meruelo walked to the microphone last week to introduce himself as the probable new owner of the Atlanta Hawks, fans saw a soft-spoken businessman, clearly uneasy in front of the cameras.

Hawks_LEDE_1076358l.jpg

Confessing he had never participated in a press conference before, Meruelo looked the part, stammering, gulping and sweating as he spoke about his lifelong dream of being a part of the NBA.

Off camera, in his element, Meruelo is decidedly different. Those who know the Los Angeles area entrepreneur describe him as a confident, aggressive businessman who has seized opportunity and elbowed his way to success.

“He has a very good sense of timing, I tell you,” said William Lyons, a Southern California homebuilder who started an Orange County bank with Meruelo. “He is very shrewd. You can talk to him about a deal, give him 15 items [of information]; he’ll talk it over and then make a decision.”

Here's the link for the full article:

http://www.ajc.com/b...ks-1107682.html

Example to follow: The Atlanta Braves.

Ted Turner purchased a small TV station, Channell 17. Then he put the Braves on T.V. He discovered he could

bounce the signal off a sattelite and we have Super Station WTBS. The Braves were available every night on

a national TV station.

Casual fans from all over began to watch the Braves on TV and many new fans went to watch the Braves when they

were the visiting team. This happened all over the league, and still does. And, they came to the games in Atlanta.

You see fans of the Braves from the entire area also.

Hawks must promote the team outside the 285 loop. Braves have an extensive radio network. Hawks are scarsely

heard outside the immediate Atlanta area. Thanks to local TV, we can watch all Hawks games, but if we are away

from the TV, we can't listen.

Ask the Hawksquawkers outside the Atlanta area. If the Hawks aren't on national TV, which is only occasionally,

how do they watch or listen to the Hawks?

The lack of a radio signal is so true. I barely live outside the perimeter (Gwinnett) and I can't hear the games on the radio. I can listen fine to the station anytime of the day, but it seems as soon as the Hawks come on, it is all static.I can just think if it is that bad right outside the loop, how bad is it even further out.

680 now has the Hawks, and I'm pretty sure they broadcast the Hawks on one of their FM sister stations. I think it is on the new 99X that is broadcasting on some other frequency than 99. Point is, the games should be heard better outside the perimiter now.

The real issue, as has been pointed previously in the board, is that we need a guy that everyone can see is IT. While at the same time having an owner that is playing with the big boys of the sport. Until then, the Hawks will struggle with attendance.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

680 now has the Hawks, and I'm pretty sure they broadcast the Hawks on one of their FM sister stations. I think it is on the new 99X that is broadcasting on some other frequency than 99. Point is, the games should be heard better outside the perimiter now.

The real issue, as has been pointed previously in the board, is that we need a guy that everyone can see is IT. While at the same time having an owner that is playing with the big boys of the sport. Until then, the Hawks will struggle with attendance.

That last part is so true. Too long this team has been "babied." Scared to trade guys. Scared to fire/hire the right coach. Scared to fire/hire the right GM. The teams at the top are not afraid to pull the trigger. For better or worse, they make something happen. Alex has to infuse some aggression into our front office and that old "just good enough" mentality has got to GO.