• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Still hate giving up Marvin Williams..

MVP23

You have a great defender, a guy that can take it to the hole, knock down the 3, and create his own shot in Marvin Williams. Its sad he never had a shot to do that here in Atlanta with guys like Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford chucking every trip down the court. I really hope he gets to be himself in Utah. A 20-10 guy from the 3/4 spot.

man this guy has to be a straight-up troll lol

or have a VERY highly advanced sense of humor Posted Image

Go Hawks!

Edited by ftown

LOL @ Marvin being a 20-10 player.. Please tell me you were drunk when you wrote this up.. Because everything you said, Is everything Marvin is not.

Edited by hawkrule152

Don't understand the trade. We aren't getting any salary relief this season. Obviously Utah didn't think much of Devin Harris if they wanted Marvin Williams.

What's not to understand? We're getting cap space after this season when Harris' contract comes off the books. If we didn't make this deal, we'd still be stuck paying Marvin ~$8 million next season.

Guest DopeHawk

The dude had 7 seasons to "prove himself" / "do his thing here" Love Marvin but its just too much cash for what he was giving us, especially for a no. 2 pick.

I am happy for Marvin beacause he's finally got a shot to showcase his skills. Like it or not, Marvin was never given a true opportunity here to be even a good player. He came in and did exactly what he was supposed to do under Woody and LD. NO player with Marvin's skillset is going to flourish in an offense that is designed to have the 2 guard with the ball in his hand for 17+ seconds on the shot clock. Our expectations of Marvin were extremely high because of his draft status (which they should have been) but in a system where the shooting guard handles the ball until he gets his shot or until 6 seconds are on the shotclock wasn't going to work for a guy who was the 4th or 5th option on these teams. If it wasn't Joe it was Bibby or Jamal or Josh or Al THEN Marvin. Did many of our other young draft picks flourish under our head coach that liked to kill young player's confidence Mike Woodson? Do many other teams have their 5th option make the all-star team or score 20 points a game? I attribute much of Marvins lack of success to the Hawks coaching and wish him all the best in Utah.

Guest Walter

I won't miss his off-season half-assing, his lack of love for the career he chose, or his diminishing returns despite his talent. I know that a lot of people came to the conclusion he just wasn't that talented, but if you put a Kobe Bryant or even Bruce Bowen mindset in that guy and he would have been a 20/7 player for years. It's so frustrating to watch. THAT was always the problem with MW and it is a problem I would rather not have on my team. I hope this lights a fire under his ass because 1) I wish him no ill will and 2) nothing else has. W

• Moderators

Don't understand the trade. We aren't getting any salary relief this season. Obviously Utah didn't think much of Devin Harris if they wanted Marvin Williams.

#1 - Salary relief means nothing this season. It may mean everything after this season. #2 - Harris was a poor fit in Utah but there is a good chance he is an upgrade for us. Seems like a reasonable gamble on the court and a no-brainer on the books.

• Moderators

Like it or not, Marvin was never given a true opportunity here to be even a good player.

15000 minutes over 7 seasons (30+ mpg) is enough time to assert yourself, IMO. Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

I didn't even bother to read your post, because to because to be frank it wouldn't matter. Marvin was drafted in 2005, it's 2012. He has been in the league for several years and to say you're giving up on him doesn't make sense. Giving up one Marvin would have been trading him after 2006 or 2007. Marvin had his chances in Atlanta. He started most of his career even when he didn't deserve to be a starter. His lack of hustle and motivation in the NBA have made him a bust. Good luck to him, glad to see him go.