• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

****Dwight Howard Discussion Thread****

BusBoyIsBack

DH and Bynum are both very entitled. Don't think the rules apply to them. I think we should go after al jefferson

They maybe very entitiled but they are playing within the rules. If you have a contract that expires and your boss says we can sign you for 3 years at the same money at this location right now OR let your contract run out and get a new deal for longer with more money at this location or another....what will you do. I don't like the idea that DH is indecisive but at this point I think it's less about him and more about Orlando trying to play all teams against each other to get more assests for him.

Bill Walton = superstar Rick Barry = superstar Hondo = superstar Isiah Thomas = superstar Next? The only two teams in the history of the NBA to ever win a title without a superstar are the late 70's Sonics that Lenny coached and Dennis Johnson was on and the 2003/4 or whatever year it was the Pistons was. That's it. And yes it is absolutely my opinion that a team with 2 or 3 superstars is going to be a team of give average to good starters.

I don't consider Dirk a Superstar, I don't think San Antonio in 2005/07 is packed with superstars. You can win as a team.
  • Like 1

Isiah was a superstar. Timmy is most certainly one. That Piston team from I think 2004 was the only team in recent memory that won without one. I think the #1 reason for this is the way games are officiated.

• Like 1

At this stage of their careers, I don't think Duncan, Garnett, etc. are still superstars, or do you think that designation never goes away, no matter how old you are or how much your game deteriorates?

Edited by Watchman

So now Dwights agent has come out and said these nitwit rumours are not true and that Dwight will not extend with any team because he wants to be a free agent, I wonder what the next sucker gullible rumour will be.

Edited by NJHAWK

So now Dwights agent has come out and said these nitwit rumours are not true and that Dwight will not extend with any team because he wants to be a free agent, I wonder what the next sucker gullible rumour will be.

Well, if he won't extend, doesn't that mean our chances are as good as anyone else's? (Or is there a distinction between "extend" and "re-sign"?)

Well, if he won't extend, doesn't that mean our chances are as good as anyone else's? (Or is there a distinction between "extend" and "re-sign"?)

The latter hit it on the head. It has been repeated ad naseum that he's not going to "extend" with anyone from the beginning of all of this. His agent coming out and saying so is the equivalent of stating that the sky is blue. He loses a tremendous amount of money and years by extending so even if he went to Brooklyn he would still be "testing free agency" and opt instead to "re-sign". Now also remember that his agent also advised him not to opt into his option for this season.......how'd that turn out?

• Premium Member

To each his own, but I wouldn't consider Havlicek, Barry and Walton to be superstars. They were good to very good players, but not superstars.

Er, what? They are all HoF players and were the main players on NBA championship teams. How the heck are they not superstars? You ask most fans and they will say they were superstars.

Bottom line: Dwight's agent says he won't extend with any team, presumably because if he waits to sign he'll get one less year and significantly less cash ($25 million). Using that logic, wouldn't the team with Bird rights - whatever team that is - have a huge chance to win out?

In other words: If we miraculously land D12, and then he signs with say Dallas or Houston in the off-season, wouldn't he end up with the very deal he refuses to do now? Or does signing as a free agent with a team without Bird Rights still give him more than an extension? (Don't know the answer the last one -- need some help there).

I could be wrong but I think he'd get bigger annual raises on a new deal as opposed to an extension.

Ok, thanks. And what about years? Can he still get 5 with another team? If so, I guess the question then is how much more is a Birds Right max offer vs. a free agent one?

If I remember correctly, that Max FA deal is 4 years and Bird's Rights Deal is 5 years. That is the reason why team want to go ahead him, Byunm and others to hold those rights and telling them and their agents like 'We got 1 extra year and 25 million reasons why you can stay with us". I got money that Josh is hoping for the same thing, same as CPIII, same as D12 as well. So holding those rights is maybe the most thing right now.

• Premium Member

I also seem to recall that the new CBA only allows this upcoming summer as the last time to S&T a player to a team 5 million above the luxury tax. That means teams like the Lakers or Nets have zero shot at Dwight unless they can get him before the trade deadline.

If I remember correctly, that Max FA deal is 4 years and Bird's Rights Deal is 5 years.

I know the max years for an extension is 4, but it's the same for a free agent signing (non-Bird Right)? I'm curious as to what exactly (years and dollars) Dwight would leave on the table to bolt the Hawks and sign with another team. And in general, how much better is a free agent deal (non-Bird) than an extension?

I know the max years for an extension is 4, but it's the same for a free agent signing (non-Bird Right)? I'm curious as to what exactly (years and dollars) Dwight would leave on the table to bolt the Hawks and sign with another team. And in general, how much better is a free agent deal (non-Bird) than an extension?

For perfect example, look at Deron Williams deal, he could got 4/75 million contact by the Mavs or he can get a 5/100 (actually 98) million dollar contact by Nets. Even know he said that he came back because of JJ and the Nets moves. That extra 1/25 million is alot of think about.

Hold up, you think Dirk is "greatest power forward of all time", really?

Should have been more specific on that remark, but I think it's pretty obvious I was referring to Tim Duncan from the "05/07 Spurs." Also, Dirk is most definitely a superstar. You see, when someone has the credentials of being an NBA MVP, Finals MVP, 11 time All-Star, 4 time All-NBA first team, 5 time All-NBA second team, 3 time All-NBA third team, and NBA champion he's pretty much a shoe-in for superstar status.

Should have been more specific on that remark, but I think it's pretty obvious I was referring to Tim Duncan from the "05/07 Spurs." Also, Dirk is most definitely a superstar. You see, when someone has the credentials of being an NBA MVP, Finals MVP, 11 time All-Star, 4 time All-NBA first team, 5 time All-NBA second team, 3 time All-NBA third team, and NBA champion he's pretty much a shoe-in for superstar status.

I would add fist ballot Hall of Famer to that list