• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Details in Joe Johnson Trade

HalfHawk

What you need to remember is that the Nets had NO STAR under contract at the time of the trade. While Billy King may have made that deal to entice Deron to re-sign with the Nets, King was also fully committed to having JJ being the ONLY STAR in Brooklyn, if worst came to worst.They were moving into a new arena, and needed at least some name player to try to sell to the fans in Brooklyn. Trading a bunch of scrubs and even putting that option of trading draft picks for JJ, was what they had to do. ( Although I suspect that option may have been added AFTER King talked to Deron Williams and told him that he had JJ all but locked up. )People keep talking about how great of a deal this is for us. We'll see. Because as of right now, the majority of the fans are flat out crying because we don't have a legitimate SF on the team, and some are even willing to trade for Rudy Gay, a more athletic but lesser shooting version of JJ.All I know is that adding mid and low 1st round picks aren't going to get us to that next level. Your true impact players are usually found in the top half of the draft lottery. Mid to Low 1st round guys are usually solid starters who are complimentary players.If cap space and the ability to switch draft picks don't land us a star who is better than Smith or Horford, the only thing the trade would've done is give the fans false hope.Right now, neither team has a problem with the trade. Nor should they.

Personally, I'm surprised we didn't take back any negative value when dealing Joe. That's what's so amazing about the deal to me. Now Brooklyn is the new Atlanta (capped out with little flexibility) and we should be at least as good as Brooklyn is. And we have the flexibility to get better.

People keep saying "false hope," and I have absolutely no clue what that means. I don't believe in "false hope." You either have hope or you don't, and I'd rather be a Hawks squad with even a sliver of hope than the Joe led squad of yesteryear.

So what if we strike out on Howard or Paul? We'll hit the playoffs again next year and look towards future rather than wondering if JJ can keep up his level of play.

Edit: This sounds a lot more argumentative than I meant it.

Edited by TheFuzz