• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Details in Joe Johnson Trade

HalfHawk

It's no lottery pick, but moving up a few spots in the draft can't hurt.

"According to a league source for NetsDaily, the Brooklyn Nets agreed to give the Atlanta Hawks the right to swap their 2014 and 2015 first-round picks as part of the Joe Johnson trade. This part of the deal was previously unreported. The Nets still have the right to trade the picks."

http://thebrooklyngame.com/details-of-joe-johnson-trade-emerge-nets-agreed-to-swap-2014-15-first-round-picks-with-atlanta/

• Like 1

Looking at it, this very much could be a big deal. Brooklyn is capped out through 2016 so they can really only afford to cobble together a bench made from shoestrings and bubblegum then add to it that they are over-reliant on their "core four" not declining due to age or reoccurring foot injury.......well, as if you needed more reason to see them fail.

• Moderators

I would assume we still have the right to swap the pick with the team that acquires that pick. But that is an important question that needs an answer.

It is an interesting question and would make trading it interesting for NJ if your assumption is correct, Dolfan.

• Moderators

Can't cite examples in particular at the moment but in the past I've seen in cases like this and similar that whoever the Nets would trade picks with would have the "lesser of" or "least favorable of" label attached.

That is the only thing that would make sense.

Goodness. Ferry absolutely hosed the Nets in this trade. A boring, declining Joe Johnson on a ridiculous contract for (essentially) Korver, Morrow, Petro, Stevenson, 2 picks and the right to swap 2 picks? And people don't like this Ferry guy?

• Like 1

We need all we can get for that contract debacle. Joe can pony up $20 million out of his pocket toward our 2013 offseason campaign. Its the least he could do. He was overvalued by much more than that. But yeah, Billy King is unbelievable. He makes Sund and Knight look like RC Buford or somebody.

Goodness. Ferry absolutely hosed the Nets in this trade. A boring, declining Joe Johnson on a ridiculous contract for (essentially) Korver, Morrow, Petro, Stevenson, 2 picks and the right to swap 2 picks? And people don't like this Ferry guy?

What you need to remember is that the Nets had NO STAR under contract at the time of the trade. While Billy King may have made that deal to entice Deron to re-sign with the Nets, King was also fully committed to having JJ being the ONLY STAR in Brooklyn, if worst came to worst.They were moving into a new arena, and needed at least some name player to try to sell to the fans in Brooklyn. Trading a bunch of scrubs and even putting that option of trading draft picks for JJ, was what they had to do. ( Although I suspect that option may have been added AFTER King talked to Deron Williams and told him that he had JJ all but locked up. )People keep talking about how great of a deal this is for us. We'll see. Because as of right now, the majority of the fans are flat out crying because we don't have a legitimate SF on the team, and some are even willing to trade for Rudy Gay, a more athletic but lesser shooting version of JJ.All I know is that adding mid and low 1st round picks aren't going to get us to that next level. Your true impact players are usually found in the top half of the draft lottery. Mid to Low 1st round guys are usually solid starters who are complimentary players.If cap space and the ability to switch draft picks don't land us a star who is better than Smith or Horford, the only thing the trade would've done is give the fans false hope.Right now, neither team has a problem with the trade. Nor should they.

Im a bit confused correct me if Im wrong........

I thought that if the Rockets made the playoffs the Hawks pick from the Nets trade would be a lottery pick.

If the above statement is true...what is all the fuss about!

As of now the rockets are sure to get into the playoffs as long as harden doesnt go down. If they get in like they should we get a lottery pick.

On the flip side with this nets pick...this pick is only good if they miss the playoffs cause then the pick becomes a high to mid pick! It isnt likely that they miss it but even if they trade the pick we have a right to swap it out!

..................maybe Im confused but I dont see the fuss, if my above statements are true!

Im a bit confused correct me if Im wrong........ I thought that if the Rockets made the playoffs the Hawks pick from the Nets trade would be a lottery pick. If the above statement is true...what is all the fuss about!As of now the rockets are sure to get into the playoffs as long as harden doesnt go down. If they get in like they should we get a lottery pick. On the flip side with this nets pick...this pick is only good if they miss the playoffs cause then the pick becomes a high to mid pick! It isnt likely that they miss it but even if they trade the pick we have a right to swap it out! ..................maybe Im confused but I dont see the fuss, if my above statements are true!

I believe the deal with the Rockets pick, is that the lottery protection that the Rockets had on the pick, falls off if they make the playoffs. If they didn't make the playoffs by 2017, it turns into a 2nd round pick and cash.Right now here are where the teams are slotted:17) Brooklyn20) Houston ( which becomes our pick if they stay outside the top 14 )23) AtlantaWhat this new finding states, is that if the Hawks desire, they can swap slots with Brooklyn, putting them at 17 and Brooklyn at 23. Considering Brooklyn's salary situation, they may not mind this at all.But what if the end of the year standings looked like this?17) Houston20) Atlanta23) BrooklynWe would still get the Houston pick at #17. But if we didn't value anyone at #20, we could still swap slots with Brooklyn, and move down at #23.Honestly, those late round picks don't elevate us to where we want to be. Now, if the Hawks used those picks in a package with someone else on the Hawks ( namely Smith or Horford ), maybe those picks can be the thing that brings in a very talented player to the mix . . or even put us in the lottery. Edited by northcyde

• Moderators

Honestly, those late round picks don't elevate us to where we want to be. Now, if the Hawks used those picks in a package with someone else on the Hawks ( namely Smith or Horford ), maybe those picks can be the thing that brings in a very talented player to the mix . . or even put us in the lottery.

The way we have drafted for at least the last 20 years, I generally agree but...if you are taking the Tayshaun Prince, Tony Parker, Josh Smith, Jermaine O'Neal, etc. guys more frequently then this can be a very valuable part of team building. It needs to be for us.