• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ratliff article from the AJC

Admin

In reply to:

Theo Ratliff is coming back to the game next weekend. The Hawks are cheering, even though it's only summer league.

"The best news," guard Jason Terry said.

Ratliff is committed to playing in three games in the Shaw's Pro Summer League in Boston, his first game action since a Jan. 11 regular season game in Toronto. He made only three appearances last season after tearing cartilage in his right hip.

"I'm looking forward to it," Ratliff said after a weekend veterans practice. "I'm feeling good. There are the usual aches and pains that you get with coming back after a long layoff, but I'm ready."

If the Hawks actually needed an excuse to participate in the summer league this month, Ratliff would be it. He has played three games in 1 1/2 seasons since breaking the scaphoid bone in his right wrist on the eve of the 2001 All-Star Game when he was still a Philadelphia 76er.

It is no secret the Hawks present and future depends on a healthy, active Ratliff in the middle. The Hawks are committed to the 6-foot-11 veteran, and events of this summer prove that Ratliff is committed to them.

First, he declined to notify the Hawks of an intention to exercise the out clause in his contract next summer. The contract that he signed in Philadelphia included that requirement and has three years to run. Ratliff will earn $8.9 million next season, $10.1 million in 2003-04 and $10.9 million in 2004-05.

Second, Ratliff is closing Friday on a new home for his family of six.

And while Ratliff remains the focus of the Hawks' week in Boston, this will also be an interesting trial for guard Dion Glover, who has recovered from a stress fracture in his right foot, and for swingman DerMarr Johnson who has added 15 pounds to his slender body.

"It's a chance for us to make some fresh evaluations," Hawks vice president-general manager Pete Babcock said.

If Glover has a good week, he might become attractive to another NBA team, and that could allow him to escape the Hawks' crowded backcourt situation for a chance to play elsewhere.

Glover becomes expendable if 6-7 guard Ira Newble, a free agent, signs as expected on July 17 or shortly thereafter. The Hawks have tendered a qualifying offer and have the right to match any other offer. Babcock has indicated they will do that unless Newble receives an outrageous offer.

Assuming Newble signs, the Hawks will have 12 players under guaranteed contracts for next season.

"Given that situation, the only way we can continue to improve our team would be through a trade," Babcock said. "And that would be most likely to happen in September."

Crawford out 12 weeks

Forward Chris Crawford's knee injury was worse than initially indicated, trainer Wally Blase said. While the veteran forward's meniscus damage was not serious, he did suffer a slight cartilage tear at the end of his femur. He will miss 12 weeks, Blase said, only so that new cartilage will have time to harden.

Crawford, a quick healer, will in effect be held back by the medical staff until the middle of October. He suffered his latest injury Wednesday after showing no lingering problems from a torn ACL suffered in November.

Smith back in Chicago

The Hawks may have seen the last of Leon Smith, signed to a "make good" contract in March.

The young center abruptly left the team and returned to his home in Chicago last week "to deal with personal issues," Babcock said. He has not worked out with the squad in several weeks, Babcock added, and would not be in condition to play in the summer league.

Layups

Shareef Abdur-Rahim has sold his Marietta mansion and gym and moved into another home, saying, "Now that I'm playing in Atlanta I didn't need it any more." He spends his days this summer in Philips Arena, although he will be active at Holy Innocents' school July 29-Aug. 2 while running a basketball camp. Information is available at 770-805-8257 and 770-850-9271. . . . Terry's second celebrity game will be played July 28 at 3 p.m. in Philips Arena. Tickets are $10 to $30 from Ticketmaster.com. . . . Team veterans will gather again for organized practice sessions Aug. 21-22 and Sept. 10-12. . . . Hawks assistant coach Eric Musselman interviewed Friday with the Golden State Warriors for a vacant coaching position. It is not known whether he is being considered for the top assistant or head coaching job.

SOme interesting stuff in this article. One being is that Dion is one of the players we want to get rid of,but he needs to elevate his stock in order to be traded. The other issue is that "Problem Child" Leon Smith has left Atlanta and went back home to Chi Town, and could possibly not come back. All I say is that frees up more roster space for the team, now if only we could move Hendu, Toni, and Davis.

I thought so too Blunt. I found it very contradicting though to the article about the team asking players opinions about the team paying back fans and all from a few weeks back.......when Dion was one of the players opinions, out of the few they reported, that was asked. Him being traded is pretty much on par with what most of us have thought though recently in our trade propsals. He still has loads of talent and will be able to really help someone out, but if he can bring us a top flight SF then we gotta trade him.

Nice to hear that Theo has bought a house locally now too. Doesnt seem to me that he accidentally didnt opt out of his contract. It seems to me that maybe he knew and wants to be here, contrary to what many of the negative nancys on here like to think about him not wanting to be here.

I guess Dions dont work to well in Atlanta sports=)

I'm starting to wonder if keeping Newble over Dion is

really smart.The thing we have to concerned with is

Ira just played well so he could get a contract?I wonder...

Glover might be sent in the deal to Orlando...after they

lose Hudson they might want another backup SG.

I think maybe Pete has had it in his mind to trade Dion all

a long.Maybe he has a SLIGHT idea of what he actually

wants to do this time....IF Dion plays well I bet there is a

80% chance he will be traded.

Just because Theo didn't opt out doesn't mean he wants

to be here.Perhaps it means he realizes he might not get

more from another team.He probably didn't opt out due

to the money and would have probably signed for less

elsewhere.