• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The thing I learned from a hall of fame coach.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I would have loved and still would love to meet Lenny Wilkins, the same is true for Rudy T. I have met Jason Kidd be would have never thought that he would one day be a coach... Never had a chance to meet Mark Jackson but knew that he would be a coach.

However, the one hall of fame coach I have met was Larry Brown. Back in TX a few years ago, in passing.... I was a Smoove fan and he had won the slam dunk contest by this time. Actually, I met Herb Brown and then met Larry while talking about Smoove.

This is what LBrown said.

Smoove will never be an allstar because "You are what you defend".

I have taken that as a rule of thumb to judge all players...

Because the more I watched Smoove, I realized that positionally, he couldn't defend anybody well. So he labelled himself midrange shawty to make up for the fact that he might have good PF size but most PFs have their way with him.

Why is that relevant now??

Mike Scott and Al Horford.

Scott has a shooters touch but can't defend the three. He plays the 4 and 5, but how good is his defense?

Horford is a 5 right now but real 5's beat him like a drum. Even fake 5s like KG beat him like a drum. I would love to see Horf at the 4 for a season before he decides to walk on us.

• Moderators

Hmm. I've seen Horford hold his own if not totally outplay Brook Lopez and Hibbert. Not sure what real 5s you're talking about unless its Howard who is allowed 23 fouls a game. Since Al has already been an All-Star twice at the center position i'm not sure the point here. As for Scott he hasn't played a minute of serious nba basketball.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Hmm. I've seen Horford hold his own if not totally outplay Brook Lopez and Hibbert. Not sure what real 5s you're talking about unless its Howard who is allowed 23 fouls a game. Since Al has already been an All-Star twice at the center position i'm not sure the point here. As for Scott he hasn't played a minute of serious nba basketball.

I'm sure I've seen both of those guys outplay Horford.

Since we got him, Horf has had problems against Bigger guys. Hell, KG in the playoffs a few years ago. Moreover, being an allstar because everybody else is hurt or the east is weak don't count. If he can do it this year with everybody else healthy, I would be impressed!

• Premium Member

Well some would say that this is bad for Teague and how he will never be a all-star

Yeah, but Teague's allstar is based on who else is in the east. Rondo, Rose, Wade, James, and Anthony doesn't even have to play. Then there's Irving and his Pepsi commercials.

• Moderators

I'm sure I've seen both of those guys outplay Horford.

Since we got him, Horf has had problems against Bigger guys. Hell, KG in the playoffs a few years ago. Moreover, being an allstar because everybody else is hurt or the east is weak don't count. If he can do it this year with everybody else healthy, I would be impressed!

Garnett and Horford are almost the same size. Garnett maybe an inch taller. But Garnett isn't a big center anyway. To me that would point more toward Horford having trouble with the better PFs. There again who doesn't have trouble with Garnett?