Washington Redskins trademark canceled by federal agency

Admin

This is going to be a HUGE deal.

Federal agency cancels Redskins trademark registration, says name is disparaging

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins trademark registration, calling the football team’s name “disparaging to Native Americans.”

The landmark case, which appeared before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, was filed on behalf of five Native Americans. It was the second time such a case was filed.

“This victory was a long time coming and reflects the hard work of many attorneys at our firm,” said lead attorney Jesse Witten, of Drinker Biddle & Reath.

Federal trademark law does not permit registration of trademarks that “may disparage” individuals or groups or “bring them into contempt or disrepute.” The ruling pertains to six different trademarks associated with the team, each containing the word “Redskin.”

“We are extraordinarily gratified to have prevailed in this case,” Alfred Putnam Jr., the chairman of Drinker Biddle & Reath, said. “The dedication and professionalism of our attorneys and the determination of our clients have resulted in a milestone victory that will serve as an historic precedent.”

Read more...

Snyders response basically was I dont give a bleep were the Redskins. He may have to pursue his own merchandising deal like Jerry Jones has with Dallas. I dont know how the hell the nfl let Jones get away with that. I mean lets face it the name is racist. I mean if it wasnt for the fact the American Indian population is so small compared to other ethnic groups this would have been changed a long time ago.

The article says this same thing happened in 1999 and the nfl appealed and won in 2009. So if Snyder appeals this is it going to take another 10 years to decide? lol seems like Snyder has been there done that with this already sadly. Stop being a Sterling and just change the bleeping name.

• Like 1

Could you make a small summary of the whole history of the Redskins? I have read that they want to change the name of the Washington Redskins but I still don't know why that's offensive/racist (the only I know is that redskins is refered to old american indians)

It was the offensive racist name that white soldiers and society refered to Native Americans as. Also it is what they called theyre scalps when they accumulated them in the wars or exterminations. Its no different than any other ethnic or racial slur.

• Like 2

It was the offensive racist name that white soldiers and society refered to Native Americans as. Also it is what they called theyre scalps when they accumulated them in the wars or exterminations. Its no different than any other ethnic or racial slur.

Of course the American soldiers only started scalping when they learned that from the Indians. That was actually their customary post-battle action to collect them.

I definitely think it's time for them to change their name though.

Snyders response basically was I dont give a bleep were the Redskins. He may have to pursue his own merchandising deal like Jerry Jones has with Dallas. I dont know how the hell the nfl let Jones get away with that. I mean lets face it the name is racist. I mean if it wasnt for the fact the American Indian population is so small compared to other ethnic groups this would have been changed a long time ago.

Here ya go @Ebert and for you too @Spud2Nique since I know you probably love this bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sOGJ978d0

• Like 1

Lol. I could watch Chappelle all day. Word. I studied you in social studies lmao

Me too man! Too bad it cut off the skit before the part about the tepee and peace pipe and stuff.

Looks like even though there won't be a Chappell show coming back we could possibly be seeing him return to an HBO special since he's touring again and getting the juice back.