• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Koonin Already Blowing It

Bahamut

Saporta seems to have had a lot of hate articles about the Hawks. Well, hate towards everyone but the Gearons and Rutherford.

Bingo. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. I know two of the "Ambassadors" (and Koonin was one himself) who said that the program was absolutely pointless and they did nothing. There were no asks of them, and it was basically their way to get free tickets. I am going to trust Koonin on this one. If the Chief Marketing Officer of Coke, Kia, Philips, Delta, etc. came out and publicly spoke against it, then I would be concerned. But look at who is quoted here...it's not like any of them were sponsors. 

• Like 4

I've had lunch with Maria Saporta several times on behalf of non-profit clients over the years.  She is pretty damn full of herself, to be honest.  She certainly cares about Atlanta, and is clearly knowledgeable, et al.  But she feels very entitled.  She is also very "old school Atlanta" and her ties to the Seydels and the Rutherfords, Gearons, Turners, etc., are deep enough that she will protect them I would think.  Sounds like maybe she wasn't being catered to enough by Koonin in some way.  I wouldn't be too concerened about this either, IMHO. 

Edited by LongTimeFan

Way to go, idiot.

"Just about everything that Steve Koonin has touched has turned to the corporate equivalent of gold – whether it was at National Distributing, the Coca-Cola Co. or Turner Broadcasting System.

Now Koonin hopes to create some of the marketing magic at the Atlanta Hawks where he has been working for the past eight weeks as the team’s new CEO."

Yup, Steve Koonin is an idiot. Mmm hmmm.......drag.gif

Edited by hazer
  • Like 3

Seems like a good move to me:

1. The decision to disband the Hawks Ambassadors was announced two days after Koonin had a meeting with about 500 season ticket holders and loyal fans of the club. 

2. While the Hawks are a community asset, brand building and strategy must come from within the organization. Internally, we must do the work to create the vision and implement a strategy to make us inclusive and relevant to fans, the community and businesses alike. We are committed to doing that work before we ask the same of others

3. Part of our strategy moving forward will be the formation of a fan advisory council comprised of our most engaged and loyal members

I've had lunch with Maria Saporta several times on behalf of non-profit clients over the years.  She is pretty damn full of herself, to be honest.  She certainly cares about Atlanta, and is clearly knowledgeable, et al.  But she feels very entitled.  She is also very "old school Atlanta" and her ties to the Seydels and the Rutherfords, Gearons, Turners, etc., are deep enough that she will protect them I would think.  Sounds like maybe she wasn't being catered to enough by Koonin in some way.  I wouldn't be too concerened about this either, IMHO.

Interesting...

Yeah I recall reading a Saporta article a while ago that made it sound like the Hawks were a regular old KKK club:

Racial tension has permeated the Atlanta Hawks organization during the leadership of Danny Ferry, according to Tommy Dortch, a leading African-American businessman in Atlanta.

And it’s not just Wilkins. Three basketball greats have recently passed away — Walt Bellamy (November, 2013), Lou Hudson (April, 2014) and Danny Roundfield (August, 2012) – all receiving virtually no recognition from the Atlanta Hawks.

“ When the great Walt Bellamy died, I heard nothing from the organization,” Dortch said. “When the sweet Lou Hudson died, I heard nothing. And when the great Danny Roundfield died, Danny who despite being hurt, kept playing, you heard nothing from the organization.”

Dortch, however, only had positive things to say about the Atlanta team owners — Rutherford Seydel, Michael Gearon Jr. and his father, Michael Gearon Sr.

http://saportareport.com/blog/2014/09/more-calls-for-hawks-gm-danny-ferry-to-step-down-as-focus-turns-to-star-dominique-wilkins/

I mean, geez someone is trying to paint a picture. And also, the Hawks did recognize all 3 of the legends who passed. Hell, the playoffs the Hawks put a black band on their jerseys to honor Lou. Just complete and total bullshit that has been made up and reported as if it is a fact. This right here triggered me to not pay attention to Saporta because, frankly, she isn't a journalist. A journalist would check facts and that has not been done. (Although most journalists aren't great at fact checking, so I don't have a lot of respect for journalists to begin with).

"Just about everything that Steve Koonin has touched has turned to the corporate equivalent of gold – whether it was at National Distributing, the Coca-Cola Co. or Turner Broadcasting System.

Now Koonin hopes to create some of the marketing magic at the Atlanta Hawks where he has been working for the past eight weeks as the team’s new CEO."

Yup, Steve Koonin is an idiot. Mmm hmmm.......:drag:

Some of the local business executives, as in potential sponsors, feel the same way.

Were any of these ambassadors who owned businesses already Hawks sponsors? If not Shame on them - what exactly have they done and what were they charged with doing. What have they done? Name One thing they've done in the name of the Hawks?

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Were any of these ambassadors who owned businesses already Hawks sponsors? If not Shame on them - what exactly have they done and what were they charged with doing. What have they done? Name One thing they've done in the name of the Hawks?

Exactly. What was this group doing?...even the Emory guy said that they had no clear mission. I would rather have the most loyal fans be sitting on a council than a bunch of self-promoting Atlanta businessmen. How many were paying season ticket holders and sponsors? I will trust Koonin, his strategy and the folks on the inside here more than Maria Saporta and a few people pissed about losing their access. This piece irked me because it just read as another Saporta piece trying to take shots at the Hawks 

• Like 2

Exactly. What was this group doing?...even the Emory guy said that they had no clear mission. I would rather have the most loyal fans be sitting on a council than a bunch of self-promoting Atlanta businessmen. How many were paying season ticket holders and sponsors? I will trust Koonin, his strategy and the folks on the inside here more than Maria Saporta and a few people pissed about losing their access. This piece irked me because it just read as another Saporta piece trying to take shots at the Hawks

The Squawk needs a representative on that board :-)

I dont understand what this Ambassador's group was supposed to do. I think they should look into something like a supporters group.  Im a die hard SounderFC supporter and follow MUFC. Supporters have a lot to say and factor into some of the decision making when it comes to the clubs. They organize all of events for supporters/fans of the team on behalf of the club. I think something like that would awesome. When ATL gets there MLS team you will see what im talking about. You could look at the Silverbacks supporters to see what im talking about.

• Like 1

That's the last thing we need is the second coming of Michael Moore representing. 

Couldn't decide whether to go with a ... 

dmtf.gif

Or a hearty ...

fosc.gif

Aren't y'all glad the season is upon us?  I was running out of gifs. 

Ok, ok ... 

clssfd.gif

ETA: Oh, and et tu @JayBirdHawk?  Et tu ...

Edited by kg01