• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nice article on Millsap re: FA & his improvement since he's been w/ ATL

johnnyde

Nice article, but not sure how much of it is anything really new.

After being eliminated by the Cleveland Cavaliers, Millsap spoke with Chris Vivamoore of the Atlanta-Journal Constitution about his free agency, sounding very much like a player who values the structure of success around him:

I think looking at different options, looking at this team, looking at what we’ve built thus far, in weight my options I can’t make a decision right now. It’s been a long series, a long year, for me and the team. Let things die down, cool off, relax and think about it a little bit. We are a family. This team is close. It will play a lot into the decision.

One potential issue is that maxing out his financial possibilities may mean disrupting that structure, as Zach Lowe explained at Grantland:

Millsap’s maximum salary will be about $18.9 million, meaning that if Millsap wants his max —or thinks he can get it from another team—the Hawks will have to dip into their cap room to pay him. If Atlanta goes over the cap, it can sign Millsap to a deal starting at only $16.6 million per season. And if they use $19 million in cap space on Millsap, they would not have enough left over to re-sign [DeMarre] Carroll. Even trading one low-cost player to clear space might not be enough.

It's a choice that many players have to make in free agency—balancing their own financial interests with what gives them the best opportunity to be successful—and everyone handles it a little bit differently.

There will be many potential suitors for Millsap this offseason. The hopes of the Hawks may rest on Millsap's commitment to their vision and his willingness to sacrifice a little to be a part of it.

I think Millsap's future with us rests first and foremost on his decision to take the $16.6m early-Bird max from us which would allow us to resign DMC also, or if he really wants that extra $2+m per season to get his true max salary. If he insists on his full $18.9m Max, and you can be certain some team IS going to offer that to him, then the team has a very tough decision on it's hands. It would be best for all involved if Millsap realizes it's in his best interests to take the $16.6m Hawks offer and continue to grow and develop with this core group - and keep on winning.  

I think he'll end up taking the 16.6m option myself. Consider his comments from the Feb 15th Rolling Stone piece that this article cites:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/paul-millsap-the-nbas-brawny-pearl-20150210?page=2

When asked whether Atlanta's charitable playing style will have any impact on one of the biggest decisions he'll ever make, Millsap does not hesitate. "Absolutely. One of the few things we talked about [two summers ago] was going to an unselfish team. Having the opportunity to play for a good coach, with an unselfish mentality. And that's one of the selling points for me."

If his focus really is on an "unselfish mentality" then him realizing that he needs to take a little bit less salary in order to keep a team together merges with that. It would be paradoxical for him to preach unselfishness on one end, then be selfish on the other end.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 1

I think we sometimes forget we have other options of clearing more salary this year as well. Mike Scott is a $3.3m salary we could clear off the books, and should. HIs minutes are probably going to Muscala in the future anyway.

This could also be the year we reduce our salary at the PG position in one of two ways. Shelvin makes $2,433,333 in 2015-16. Teague makes $8m. We could at the least move Mack, which is more difficult now that he is injured. Or we could move Teague, while getting a good assett in return. I'm not saying we "should" move Teague, just suggesting we "could" if the salary cap calls for it. 

Playing Teague and Schröder together so much this year leads me to a scenario with a question - what if Bud was trying to see if he could find a way to give heavy minutes to both in order to keep them both on the roster for the long term? We face a future decision whether to keep Teague as the starter or to pay Schröder and make him the starter while trading Teague away. Some people complained about the 2 PG lineup all year long, but what if Bud was just experimenting for the future? We all know eventually Schröder will be off his rookie contract and he's going to get paid here or somewhere. He'll obviously want to be a starter here or elsewhere, unless perhaps if he's already getting heavy minutes in something like the role Bud was trying out this year.

I think we all know Schröder is the future if he continues developing at his current rate, and isn't going anywhere if we can help it. I personally think the 2 PG experiment this year was to determine if Teague is a part of that longterm future also, or if he is going to have to be moved in order to accommodate Schröder. Only Bud and his staff currently know the answer to that question. But if they don't think both fit in the future, then this could be the offeason we see Teague moved since his value is very high coming off an All-Star selection combined with the fact we need more salary cap room this year. That would allow us to keep Millsap, DMC, trade Teague for something like the #6 overall pick, and probably still have a little money (like $2m ish) to add another depth player. This would leave Shelvin as the backup.

Or if Teague and Schröder are both in the plans for the longterm, then we should trade Shelvin this year to clear his cap room. And there is always the most likely option that we push the Teague decision down the road until next offseason. In which case we'd probably need to hang on to all 3 again this year, salary cap be damned. That way we don't go into the 2016 season with Schröder as the only experienced PG in this system.

Edited by RandomFan

Mike Scott has value, a bad post season is not going to erase a decent regular season

Scott has value when his shot is falling, which is about 1 out of every 5 or 6 games. If his shot's not falling, he's beyond useless. So to me he has very little value. He was our weakest link all season long, not just the playoffs.

Scott has value when his shot is falling, which is about 1 out of every 5 or 6 games. If his shot's not falling, he's beyond useless. So to me he has very little value. He was our weakest link all season long, not just the playoffs.

Stat wise, he's our 4th most productive bench player. Considering his skill of shooting and athleticism, he holds value. Maybe he's overpaid but not by much. 

The issue is Brand, Jenkins and Daye. Mack is one as well but outside of Brand, none of them are overpaid. 

Stat wise, he's our 4th most productive bench player. Considering his skill of shooting and athleticism, he holds value. Maybe he's overpaid but not by much. 

The issue is Brand, Jenkins and Daye. Mack is one as well but outside of Brand, none of them are overpaid. 

So you're saying he's our 9th best player, like that's something to be excited about?

And I consider him taking up a roster spot being overpaid in my book. When that spot could go to someone else who doesn't suck balls 4 out of 5 games. Or even an empty roster spot is more valuable than him. Yeah, I said it...

So you're saying he's our 9th best player, like that's something to be excited about?

And I consider him taking up a roster spot being overpaid in my book. When that spot could go to someone else who doesn't suck balls 4 out of 5 games. Or even an empty roster spot is more valuable than him. Yeah, I said it...

He's a productive bench player. Of course he holds value. Productive bench players aren't easy to find. 

• Premium Member

i do agree that there are money saving moves we can make but the only one that makes sense is moving Scott for space.  We will prolly keep our 3 pg situ.  Moose stays.  Pero is too cheap not to reup unless he wants more than 1.5.  Sef is a good player when hes healthy.