• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Legit 3pt threat at the 5 will fix inside scoring

JTB

We need to focus on getting a legit 3pt shooting center! Only if pero was a better shooter he would be perfect.

Im not suggesting this as a starter move but as a change in lineup move when inside scoring is needed. I feel the Hawks have two all stars that can provide inside scoring already in Sap and Horford if they can get more one on one opportunities in post with power forwards.

In my eyes as far as inside scoring this is an obvious fix just by having a guy at the center position who can be a avg to high percentage 3pt shooter like a spencer hawes (don't let clippers season fool you) or by drafting a guy like Frank K. out of Wisconsin. Then you still have Teagues elite penetration as well as DMCs fearless cutting to the goal ability along with Dennis/Bazemore off the bench.

Now does this fix rim protection? Yes and no

Does it fix rebounding? Yes and no

I don't think all of these issues can be fixed in one off season unless we get Marc Gasol which is a long shot and honestly I believe in team rebounding and I always have! DMC can do more on the boards as well as Horford and Sap. Rim protection can come from any legit 7 footer that's not afraid to contest at the goal.

Last thing I want to mention is that the one thing I hate on the squawk is how rim protection and rebounds get more attention than offense. While I think they are slightly more of a need I think it's just as important that our only inside scoring come from pgs most of the time. Also it gets old to watch this team basketball when points are needed and no one comes through but maybe a legit 3pt shooting center can change all that....maybe Horford and Sap can post up pfs and score effectively if given more opportunity....even when teams switch and put their center on them they probably could then utilize their speed for once in getting around them to score consistently....

I don't agree on this. I'd rather our center be more dangerous on the blocks rather than at the 3pt line. If he's that far out who's getting offensive rebounds? Also, we don't know if Sap will return as of yet. So that's up in the air. Lastly, I'd argue that Horford does score inside ENOUGH with his speed advantage over other centers and don't get me started on the post moves he still hasn't developed.

Aww man.

I wish that Bud would forget about having an outside shooting threat at the 5. Either get a guy who can score around the rim, or get a guy who can be a defensive and rebounding anchor.

With the amount of shots he'd get, a 3 point shooting center MIGHT make 2 threes a game. More than likely though, he'd only be good for 1 three a game.

My thing is this, on a team that wants the 4 position to be able to make 18+ foot jumpers, wouldn't it be more useful to have a center that could get us extra possessions by grabbing offensive rebounds?

From hoopsstats.com:

Pero tied for the league in 3 point attempts for centers, with 2.7 attempts per game. He shot 31% He only made 0.8 of his 3s.

Kelly Olynyk also took 2.7 threes per game. He made 35% of his attempts, averaging 1.0 made three per game. Your boy Spencer Hawes was 3rd in attempts at 2.4 per game, while shooting just above 31%.

Unless you got a guy who can shoot close to or over 40% from 3, encouraging your center to stretch the floor is overrated as hell.

But if you REALLY want a stretch 5, just hope that Bud encourages Horford to take more corner 3s. He shot 30% from 3 this season. Maybe with practice, he could become at least a 35% shooter.

If the Hawks are modeling themselves after the Spurs then pf becomes critical at rebounding and scoring. Duncan yeah I know no one like him but if a player like Monroe is signed could really help things since Horford could play pf or center so their both interchangeable. Monroe is a better center I believe which means Horford would have to go to pf. Worst case scenario Monroe plays power forward and Horford center. I think monroe would fair better than Sap against bigs like we saw vs Cleveland. Let me research this how many off rebounds did Monroe get vs Sap this year.

If the Hawks come back with same team then they still need a rebounder big.San Antonio rebounds well while the Hawks are one of the worst in the league.

Edited by thescout5

I don't agree on this. I'd rather our center be more dangerous on the blocks rather than at the 3pt line. If he's that far out who's getting offensive rebounds? Also, we don't know if Sap will return as of yet. So that's up in the air. Lastly, I'd argue that Horford doesn't score inside ENOUGH with his speed advantage over other centers and don't get me started on the post moves he still hasn't developed.

*Fixed

Aww man.

I wish that Bud would forget about having an outside shooting threat at the 5. Either get a guy who can score around the rim, or get a guy who can be a defensive and rebounding anchor.

With the amount of shots he'd get, a 3 point shooting center MIGHT make 2 threes a game. More than likely though, he'd only be good for 1 three a game.

My thing is this, on a team that wants the 4 position to be able to make 18+ foot jumpers, wouldn't it be more useful to have a center that could get us extra possessions by grabbing offensive rebounds?

From hoopsstats.com:

Pero tied for the league in 3 point attempts for centers, with 2.7 attempts per game. He shot 31% He only made 0.8 of his 3s.

Kelly Olynyk also took 2.7 threes per game. He made 35% of his attempts, averaging 1.0 made three per game. Your boy Spencer Hawes was 3rd in attempts at 2.4 per game, while shooting just above 31%.

Unless you got a guy who can shoot close to or over 40% from 3, encouraging your center to stretch the floor is overrated as hell.

But if you REALLY want a stretch 5, just hope that Bud encourages Horford to take more corner 3s. He shot 30% from 3 this season. Maybe with practice, he could become at least a 35% shooter.

I get what you're saying but I think you are missing my point. I'm saying instead of using sap as a stretch pf lets get a center that is more reliable at making 3s and use sap or Horford in the paint more when this 3 point shooting big is in the game!

I'm not suggesting a change in the starting lineup. This is just a way for Horford and Sap to get more one on one opportunities against power forwards in the post.

This is a fix in case we don't get a low post scoring big like gasol or Monroe....you guys act like there's a ton of them on the market. My biggest problem is that no matter the player people suggest every center other than gasol has some type of problem in their game.

After Gasol, Monroe clearly fits our needs as a post scorer and rebounder but no defense....the list continues to drop off from there as most of the center left aren't even decent post scorers or they are only a post scorer like brook Lopez but offers nothing else

Damn, here comes the Hawes posts again.

This isn't a Hawes thread just used his name cause he has been a good 3pt shooter before....calm down I'm not making an argument for him like I was last year but I know bud would use him better than what doc did.