Making moves for a championship

Vol4ever

Barring major injuries, they are winning 55 at a minimum.  This team and system was built for the regular season and they will excel in the regular season as long as they are mostly healthy.  It's why the Spurs are always in the top 2 or 3 in the standings in the West, even in years when they suffer injuries.  Our offensive system produces consistent easy shots which is a huge bonus in the regular season. 

Which is WHY i said they gonna pile on meaningless wins. Build for the playoffs. Thats what cleveland did last year. They laughed at the Hawks for winning 60 games, because they knew when they met head to head in the playoffs, they had the matchup advantages. They made ADJUSTMENTS to their roster so that they could beat the Hawks. Bud stayed pat at the trade deadline.

I WILL say this though, it wouldnt shock me if the Hawks WERE to beat cleveland though, even though the matchups are still in cleveland's favor. The reason being, the Hawks are gonna try and OUTSCORE opponents. Maybe Hardaway and the others can make up for what Korver didnt do in the playoffs for the Hawks this past season.

Edited by atlhawks1

There is no doubt in my mind that the quality of our play absolutely suffered without Thabo.  You could see it in our defense and rebounding even when we were winning and it was noticable to me that we were diminished for the rest of the season.

Did the quality of play decrease?  Yes, some. 

Did we stop winning games because of it?  No.

This discussion is centered around winning games and Thabo's absence did not result in us losing an irregular amount of games.  The losses only started piling up when we had multiple players out at the same time. 

Which is WHY i said they gonna pile on meaningless wins. Build for the playoffs. Thats what cleveland did last year. They laughed at the Hawks for winning 60 games, because they knew when they met head to head, they had the matchup advantages.

Winning 45-50 games is piling on wins? 

Cleveland is the only team in the East that can be confident against us in a 7 game series.

The Hawks will win 55+ again this year.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Did the quality of play decrease?  Yes, some. 

Did we stop winning games because of it?  No.

This discussion is centered around winning games and Thabo's absence did not result in us losing an irregular amount of games.  The losses only started piling up when we had multiple players out at the same time. 

Had the rest of our team stayed healthy, the loss of Thabo could have meant the difference between winning the EC or not, IMO.  We were a much more vulnerable team after his loss -- especially when you start compounding it with other injuries.  

• Like 1

Winning 45-50 games is piling on wins? 

Cleveland is the only team in the East that can be confident against us in a 7 game series.

The Hawks will win 55+ again this year.

Do you want 45-50 wins and a championship, or do you want 60 wins and watching someone else celebrate. The Braves did the SAME thing for years, built for the regular season, and got ONE chip out of a run of being the best team in baseball for over a decade. I dont want the Hawks to do that.

Dont let Pop and his system fool you, they STILL had big time players in that system. I wonder WHY they went and got the best player available in free agency, and dumped Tiago Splitter on us.............

Edited by atlhawks1

Had the rest of our team stayed healthy, the loss of Thabo could have meant the difference between winning the EC or not, IMO.  We were a much more vulnerable team after his loss -- especially when you start compounding it with other injuries.  

I agree with the playoffs and particularly matching up with Lebron.  I disagree with his absence costing us regular season games.  I have probably been Thabo's biggest supporter on this board since he got here.  I understand that his absence was big, it just surprisingly didn't cost us games during the regular season.

Do you want 45-50 wins and a championship, or do you want 60 wins and watching someone else celebrate. The Braves did the SAME thing for years, built for the regular season, and got ONE chip out of a run of being the best team in baseball for over a decade. I dont want the Hawks to do that.

Dont let Pop and his system fool you, they STILL had big time players in that system. I wonder WHY they went and got the best player available in free agency, and dumped Tiago Splitter on us.............

Well that's easy.

If we only win 45-50 games, we aren't good enough to win a championship. 

When's the last time an NBA team won 50 games or less and won the title?  I would imagine that the list is very small if there are any at all.

How often have the Spurs only won 45-50 wins since they have had Duncan?  The only time was in a lockout year with fewer games.

The only big time player the Spurs have had is Duncan.  Parker and Ginobli wouldn't be anywhere near the hall of fame if they didn't win those titles.

Edited by JETSET

Well that's easy.

When's the last time an NBA team won 50 games or less and won the title?  I would imagine that the list is very small if there are any at all.

You are correct. Look, the Hawks are not gonna win a championship this coming season, so, really, it a waste of time even going back and forth over how many games they gonna win.

• Moderators

Well that's easy.

How often have the Spurs only won 45-50 wins since they have had Duncan?  The only time was in a lockout year with fewer games.

The only big time player the Spurs have had is Duncan.  Parker and Ginobli wouldn't be anywhere near the hall of fame if they didn't win those titles.

Last time was the 47 win Houston Rockets in 1995,

• Premium Member

We didnt show up in the playoffs with the right mindset.  We were mentally weak imo. Inderstand we had some injuries but so did the other teams and I believe Washington would have beaten us if Wall had been 100% the whole series.

We didnt show up in the playoffs with the right mindset.  We were mentally weak imo. Inderstand we had some injuries but so did the other teams and I believe Washington would have beaten us if Wall had been 100% the whole series.

While I disagree that Washington would've beaten us (Wall, to me, is tremendously overrated), I agree that part of it was mental. I bet Atlanta felt the pressure to perform. I think that the core guys know they can do it now, so mentally they'll be stronger.

Right now we've got a puncher's chance at the title I'd say, second best team in the East. Solid upgrade at the 3 and we're legit contenders. I'm really high on Holliday (wasn't on my radar at all, great move), think he'll be our Korver replacement and then some eventually.

We didnt show up in the playoffs with the right mindset. We were mentally weak imo. Inderstand we had some injuries but so did the other teams and I believe Washington would have beaten us if Wall had been 100% the whole series.

We didn't show up in the ECF - that's it.

While I disagree that Washington would've beaten us (Wall, to me, is tremendously overrated), I agree that part of it was mental. I bet Atlanta felt the pressure to perform. I think that the core guys know they can do it now, so mentally they'll be stronger.

Right now we've got a puncher's chance at the title I'd say, second best team in the East. Solid upgrade at the 3 and we're legit contenders. I'm really high on Holliday (wasn't on my radar at all, great move), think he'll be our Korver replacement and then some eventually.

Not just to you.  I'm so sick of people overrating not only him but that whole Zards team.  How folks are projecting them as a top 2-3 seed is beyond me considering they'll still be trotting Nene and Gortat out there as a starting 4/5 combo.

Disagree on Holliday.  He hasn't shown anything at this point.

Not just to you.  I'm so sick of people overrating not only him but that whole Zards team.  How folks are projecting them as a top 2-3 seed is beyond me considering they'll still be trotting Nene and Gortat out there as a starting 4/5 combo.

Disagree on Holliday.  He hasn't shown anything at this point.

More of a gut-feeling than anything. Like his wingspan, poise and shooting stroke. "Korver replacement and then some" was probably too much, Korver is an incredible player, I think Holliday could be closer to Klay Thompson-lite or something like that.

I think Holiday is here to keep a fire lit under Hardaway. And if Hardaway fails, maybe develop him more. I would not be to excited about any of these guys, playoff-elite level wise.

Also, I think of Thabo as a versatile defender, but not really when it comes to taking on Lebron one-on-one.

Edited by DS17Fanboy