• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

MKG -- 52 over 4 years -- wtf

capstone21

I swerved in traffic when I heard that.  I'm sorry, HorCats, this is an awful signing.  I mean, why re-sign him now?  Might as well wait and try to pry Barnes from GoldenSt.

I know they fancy him as some kind of defensive stopper but geez.

• Moderators

Definite over pay for what he is right now.  It seems like all you needed was a pulse to get a pretty big deal as a wing player this offseason.  Kyle Singler $25M, Wes Matthews $70M (coming off a serious injury), Jae Crowder $35M, Shumpert $40M, etc.  MKG is a defensive stud and very good rebounder but will need to become a positive contributor on offense to make this deal work.

I am probably one of the few who thinks this is a good deal for the Horcats. I think players are getting overpaid left and right so why not secure somebody that was a high selection for your club and will improve greatly imo.

I am probably one of the few who thinks this is a good deal for the Horcats. I think players are getting overpaid left and right so why not secure somebody that was a high selection for your club and will improve greatly imo.

Will he though?  That's the gamble.  We thought Marvo would surely improve considering how young he was too.

Will he though? That's the gamble. We thought Marvo would surely improve considering how young he was too.

That's true and I have no guarantee that MKG will improve, but from what I saw in him in high school and a bit at Kentucky, the kid works his tail off and seems to give it 110% every time. With his physical tools and hard work, I'm willing to bet that he will be one of the most improved candidates in the NBA this year. Just a hunch. And with Marvin, I loved him when we picked him, but honestly I think he had some MAJOR imbalance in his lower body(please save the jokes) and weakness that make him very vulnerable to any contact at the NBA level. His jumpshot was always beautiful and almost flawless mechanically but he needed to improve in other areas which never happened.

That's true and I have no guarantee that MKG will improve, but from what I saw in him in high school and a bit at Kentucky, the kid works his tail off and seems to give it 110% every time. With his physical tools and hard work, I'm willing to bet that he will be one of the most improved candidates in the NBA this year. Just a hunch. And with Marvin, I loved him when we picked him, but honestly I think he had some MAJOR imbalance in his lower body(please save the jokes) and weakness that make him very vulnerable to any contact at the NBA level. His jumpshot was always beautiful and almost flawless mechanically but he needed to improve in other areas which never happened.

Tyler Handsblo is a hard worker too, but he just doesn't have the skillset for all the hardwork to matter all that much.  It's kinda like tuning up a '92 Hyundai or something.  There's a ceiling on the performance you're gonna get out of it.

MKG is basically a finely tuned Hyundai considering the ceiling there appears to be on his offensive game.

Tyler Handsblo is a hard worker too, but he just doesn't have the skillset for all the hardwork to matter all that much. It's kinda like tuning up a '92 Hyundai or something. There's a ceiling on the performance you're gonna get out of it.

MKG is basically a finely tuned Hyundai considering the ceiling there appears to be on his offensive game.

Hmmmm...I think MKG has a better skill set that Tyler, and it's tough to determine the guy's ceiling this far into his career. If he doesn't progress greatly in 2 or 3 years I agree with you, but the kid came out after only 1 year at Kentucky...he's way too young to determine his ceiling imo. Also, I agree that he needs major work on offense but many players in this league made a big name for themselves as defensive stoppers. Rodman is the prime example.(in no way I am comparing MKG to Rodman, just pointing out that defense can keep you on an NBA floor as a vital piece).

Hmmmm...I think MKG has a better skill set that Tyler, and it's tough to determine the guy's ceiling this far into his career. If he doesn't progress greatly in 2 or 3 years I agree with you, but the kid came out after only 1 year at Kentucky...he's way too young to determine his ceiling imo. Also, I agree that he needs major work on offense but many players in this league made a big name for themselves as defensive stoppers. Rodman is the prime example.(in no way I am comparing MKG to Rodman, just pointing out that defense can keep you on an NBA floor as a vital piece).

Yeah, you're not wrong.  Dude's way young.  I just am of the opinion that he's not going to get dramatically better.  I think that's where we differ.

I tend to think he'll follow Marvo's progression (or lack thereof).

As an aside, do you remember when Marvin scored like 30 in Seattle and said after the game that shooting so much was too tiring.  I wanted to wring his neck.  You're the #2 pick!  That's why we brought you here dummy!

Yeah, you're not wrong. Dude's way young. I just am of the opinion that he's not going to get dramatically better. I think that's where we differ.

I tend to think he'll follow Marvo's progression (or lack thereof).

As an aside, do you remember when Marvin scored like 30 in Seattle and said after the game that shooting so much was too tiring. I wanted to wring his neck. You're the #2 pick! That's why we brought you here dummy!

Yup, I was waiting forever for that game because I had a feeling Marv would wanna drop a bunch on his home state, thought there were more to come after that. Fast forward 10 years and I have 2 Marvin Williams jerseys sitting in my closet :-(

• Moderators

I definitely like his prospects better than Marvin's.  He has a will to compete that Marvin has never had and that is a huge factor for long-term success.  Unlike Tyler Hanbrough, he has all the tools to be a stud.  What he is missing is a skill right now which is perimeter shooting.  Whether he develops enough perimeter offense to keep teams honest will determine his ceiling.  I wouldn't bet on him become a perimeter stud but he is only 21 years old as of today.  There is every possibility he will get much better than he is today although that is faint praise (i.e., moving from "terrible" to "I should probably guard him" would be a big step).

Yup, I was waiting forever for that game because I had a feeling Marv would wanna drop a bunch on his home state, thought there were more to come after that. Fast forward 10 years and I have 2 Marvin Williams jerseys sitting in my closet :-(

2!?  What no Alexander Volkov jerseys on sale?

Speaking of Handsblo, why was that clown so dominate at the college level?

• Moderators

College  is a different game than the NBA and he reasonably talented for that level and busted his rear.  That works when the competition is weaker in college but doesn't cut it in the NBA.  There are tons of guys who were college studs and not much in the NBA.  He is into a solid rotation type NBA career with per 36s of 14.5 pp36 and 9.0 rp36.  So while he isn't garbage in the NBA, he just doesn't have the tools to dominate like he did in college.  

College is a different game than the NBA and he reasonably talented for that level and busted his rear. That works when the competition is weaker in college but doesn't cut it in the NBA. There are tons of guys who were college studs and not much in the NBA. He is into a solid rotation type NBA career with per 36s of 14.5 pp36 and 9.0 rp36. So while he isn't garbage in the NBA, he just doesn't have the tools to dominate like he did in college.

i.e. Adam Morrison...interestingly enough, another Horcat...

2!? What no Alexander Volkov jerseys on sale?

Speaking of Handsblo, why was that clown so dominate at the college level?

Sadly I got them both in his rookie year, road red and alternate yellow, so it wasn't even on sale. :-( I thought he was the next James Worthy...(ya ummmm I know I know)

I agree.  I think it was very smart of the Hornets to lock him up at only $13 mil per year over the next 4 in this new high-paid NBA.  MKG was the clear difference maker for that Hornet team last year.  He is their best player and he is still very young.  He shot a decent percentage from midrange last season and this contract will end up being a steal if he can develop his midrange a little further and add the corner 3.

Hornets were 26-25 last season when MKG played a full game

Hornets were 6-17 last season when MKG did not play or left a game with injury and did not return. 

Similar win-loss swing past two years when he was healthy vs injured.