• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who should we keep?

abeck11

So far we haven't cut anyone and I was just curious who the 5 players are that we should cut. 

The first obvious choices are Matt Costello, Josh Magette, and Will Bynum.

Now things get interesting in my opinion. 2 more players need to be cut. Ryan Kelly is probably gone but ill come back to him. That leaves 1 guy among Mike Scott, Moose, and Kris. 

Since the 4 is the deepest position we have, it's the clear position from which to eliminate the extra player. I would choose Moose from that group. Kris is a grinder that brings a toughness off the bench that Mike and Moose haven't yet shown. Mike has much more scoring upside than Moose and in a pinch can play the 3. Plus Moose's contract isn't guaranteed which hurts his chances even more. 

I would like to try and keep Kelly because he is a more traditional stretch 4 in the mold of Ryan Anderson while obviously not being as accomplished. But playing at Duke and knowing Bud's system, Kelly has the intelligence and skill set to be a perimeter scoring 4 off the bench that our second unit has lacked. 

I have also started to lose faith that Tim will ever be able to be a viable scoring threat at the 2 because he is a volume shooter that needs to get on a roll which he has yet to prove as a Hawk. I would cut him as well but we are thin on the wing behind Korver and we can't trust Korver's backup to be a rookie with even less shooting potential than Tim right now. 

Curious what everyone else thinks about our roster situation.  

Agree on Magette, Costello, and Bynum.

I am ready to move on from THJr and Splitter. We all know why with Timmy, and Splitter is oft-injured and his butterfingered bobbly hands have been overrated IMHO. Maybe some team would want Splitter enough to take both in a package for a future second round pick? 2020? That way Kelly and Moose could stay in case Sap has more injury issues or Scott winds up in the pokey. I think Moose should stay to get another chance to prove himself. He is young and on a VERY cheap deal (that goes through next season) and has been mostly looking good this preseason. 

• Like 1

Costello, Bynum, Magette, and Kelly are outta here. After hearing Wes beam about Moose's attitude, work ethic, improvement the other night combined with his age, contract, BBIQ, and hustle it's apparent he stays. Bud already said Splitter's hamstring won't affect the final roster, so he's staying. The axe comes down THJr, Scott, or Humphries. My guess would be THJr if we don't see this slump end, or Scott if his legal troubles worsen. Humphries is just too valuable as a tough rebounder with a 3-pt shot who can backup 2 positions.