• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is the Wizards Pick and Roll REALLY killing the Hawks?

TheNorthCydeRises

So let's take a look

http://stats.nba.com/players/ball-handler/#!?sort=PPG&dir=1

In 2 games, John Wall is 4th in points as the Pick and Roll ball handler, at 10.5 ppg.   Conversely, Dennis Schröder is right there with him at 10.5 ppg.  But let's focus on Wall and the Washington PnR.

Wall is posting a very mediocre PPP ( points per possession ) number of 0.78 as the Pick and Roll Ball Handler, and shooting 31.6% FG.  If the Wiz keep wanting to put us in the Pick and Roll, in an attempt to supposedly expose Dwight, the numbers say that they're really not successful at doing this.   But the key is to MAKE Wall the shooter, and not the passer.

The flip side of the Washington Pick and Roll is on the Man side, in which Marcin Gortat has excelled. 

http://stats.nba.com/players/roll-man/#!?sort=PPG&dir=1

He's scoring a ridiculous 8 ppg as the Roll Man, which is by far #1 in the playoffs.  This is 3 more points than the #2 guy Deandre Jordan, who lives off the PnR to get his points.  When the Hawks have the big man come out to contest Wall's drive or jumper, that opens things up for Gortat around the rim.  Game 2 is a great illustration as to how Gortat got his points off the PnR

The other thing to notice about this clip, is the obvious.  Moose has NO CHANCE of handling Gortat on the inside.  NONE.  And in this clip, he only scored 4 points while Dwight was in the game, but 10 points while Moose was in.   

The Hawks must stop the drive of Wall, while not letting him feed Gortat whenever he wants.  Turn Wall into a midrange shooter.  Let's see if he can make more than 4 shots in the midrange off the pick and roll.   If I was Bud, I'd take my chances more on giving Wall open 15 footers, than letting him pass to Gortat 3 feet away from the rim.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

Sigh.

Like I said, AGAIN. There is a DIFFERENCE between GIVING the jump shot and it being a FREE THROW. It's mostly been the latter. It's been so bad that D'Antoni would not be mad at the mid range shots.

Edited by Lurker

Just now, Lurker said:

Sigh.

Like I said, AGAIN. There is a DIFFERENCE between GIVING the jump shot and it being a FREE THROW. It's mostly been the latter.

The numbers don't lie sir.

You force Wall to beat you by shooting "FTs off the dribble" . . . which he hasn't really done in this series.   Give him the FT and let's see if he can make it.

Have Dwight ( or Humphries ) sag off Wall, and let's see how many shots he can make.  He'll shoot them right out of the game.

43 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The numbers don't lie sir.

You force Wall to beat you by shooting "FTs off the dribble" . . . which he hasn't really done in this series.   Give him the FT and let's see if he can make it.

Have Dwight ( or Humphries ) sag off Wall, and let's see how many shots he can make.  He'll shoot them right out of the game.

Humphries trash self will lead the Hawks to getting stomped on twice by 30 and 40. Toughness is needed a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT less than fundamental defense.