• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

All Star game is an embarrassment

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, sturt said:

1. While it's always been a mid-season event, the consequences of injury now are seem so much more pronounced, so impactful, it's natural that no one's going to want to play the game with any intensity.

It's got to become an end-of-season event to even present the possibility of it being considered a legit competition by players.

Hadn't given this element nearly as much thought, but it's just as vital, so now I have...

Proposal here is that All-Star Weekend and the initial weekend of the NBA Finals should be one and the same.

(You're gonna exclude the All-Stars on the two NBA finalists' rosters, but those players will be in-town anyhow for the Game 1 of the Finals.)

So, the most compelling premise here picks up on an argument long made by Scott Boras that they're leaving money on the table in baseball because they don't have a definitive place and date for Game 1 of the World Series--which, in all fairness, isn't a fair championship series if we're honest, because if it goes 7 games, one team will get the home field advantage.

Same applies to NBA, of course.

All-Star Weekend, then, kicks off on Thursday afternoon with some of the festivities that have ordinarily been a fixture for Friday afternoon, and with the NBA Finals feature event being held the Thursday night (as it traditionally has been through the years), with the All-Star Weekend city anointed as the neutral site for Game 1... thereby, making the rest of the series a fair 3 home games/3 away games competition.

The periphery events of the weekend get sprinkled through the rest of Friday, Saturday and Sunday, before, in-between, and after the 5 All-Star round-robin sessions.

Then, Sunday night features the All-Star Sunday Showdown as the final event in the All-Star Weekend city, followed by Game 2 of the NBA Finals on the home court of the winner of Game 1 (... Games 3 and 4, of course, get played on the Game 1 loser's home court).

Just make me basketball czar, and I promise, you'll love it even more than you ever dreamed you'd love the NBA.

giphy.gif

Pinky promise, even.

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, sturt said:

Hadn't given this element nearly as much thought, but it's just as vital, so now I have...

Proposal here is that All-Star Weekend and the initial weekend of the NBA Finals should be one and the same.

(You're gonna exclude the All-Stars on the two NBA finalists' rosters, but those players will be in-town anyhow for the Game 1 of the Finals.)

So, the most compelling premise here picks up on an argument long made by Scott Boras that they're leaving money on the table in baseball because they don't have a definitive place and date for Game 1 of the World Series--which, in all fairness, isn't a fair championship series if we're honest, because if it goes 7 games, one team will get the home field advantage.

Same applies to NBA, of course.

All-Star Weekend, then, kicks off on Thursday afternoon with some of the festivities that have ordinarily been a fixture for Friday afternoon, and with the NBA Finals feature event being held the Thursday night (as it traditionally has been through the years), with the All-Star Weekend city anointed as the neutral site for Game 1... thereby, making the rest of the series a fair 3 home games/3 away games competition.

The periphery events of the weekend get sprinkled through the rest of Friday, Saturday and Sunday, before, in-between, and after the 5 All-Star round-robin sessions.

Then, Sunday night features the All-Star Sunday Showdown as the final event in the All-Star Weekend city, followed by Game 2 of the NBA Finals on the home court of the winner of Game 1 (... Games 3 and 4, of course, get played on the Game 1 loser's home court).

Just make me basketball czar, and I promise, you'll love it even more than you ever dreamed you'd love the NBA.

giphy.gif

Pinky promise, even.

Sturt, just so you know I have a personal policy where I refuse to read posts where people quote themselves.   Couldn't you save time by just talking to yourself in the mirror?

• Premium Member

Is there anything more ironic than Person A complaining to Person B as-if Person B surely cares that Person A isn't reading his posts... and it's Person B who is the self-obsessed one?

tenor.gif?ssl=1

Shakes, reading is fundamental, and it is also optional... 😉😄

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, sturt said:

Is there anything more ironic than Person A complaining to Person B as-if Person B surely cares that Person A isn't reading his posts... and it's Person B who is the self-obsessed one?

tenor.gif?ssl=1

Shakes, reading is fundamental, and it is also optional... 😉😄

I read this post.  Much better.