• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

List of the Day 8-16... Who were your favorite NCAA Men's Basketball teams of all time?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Let's say... Top 10 Favorite College Basketball teams of all time.  You don't have to give the year, but you have to give a player reference. 

1.  Michigan Fab Five. 
  2. Kentucky with Mashburn and Travis Ford with Tony Delk coming off the bench. 
  3. Ga Tech with Lethal Weapon 3...  Scott, Anderson, and Brian Oliver
  4. UNLV with Augmon and Johnson
  5. UNC with Jaimson and Carter. 
  6. Michigan with Glen Rice. 
  7. UNC with Stackhouse and Wallace. 
  8. Georgetown with Deke and Morning and Charles Smith. 
  9. LSU with Shaq and Stanley Roberts and Chris Jackson!!
  10. Syracuse with Derrick Coleman, Sherman Douglass, and Billy Owens...

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Let's say... Top 10 Favorite College Basketball teams of all time.  You don't have to give the year, but you have to give a player reference. 

1.  Michigan Fab Five. 
  2. Kentucky with Mashburn and Travis Ford with Tony Delk coming off the bench. 
  3. Ga Tech with Lethal Weapon 3...  Scott, Anderson, and Brian Oliver
  4. UNLV with Augmon and Johnson
  5. UNC with Jaimson and Carter. 
  6. Michigan with Glen Rice. 
  7. UNC with Stackhouse and Wallace. 
  8. Georgetown with Deke and Morning and Charles Smith. 
  9. LSU with Shaq and Stanley Roberts and Chris Jackson!!
  10. Syracuse with Derrick Coleman, Sherman Douglass, and Billy Owens...

wow, you sure have cheered on a lot  of losers.    Only winners you got there are Rice's Michigan and UNLV which is then soured a bit by their epic defeat to Duke the next season.

Who did you root for when Letha Weapon 3 and Shaq's LSU squared off in the NCAA?  That was an amazing game.

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, shakes said:

wow, you sure have cheered on a lot  of losers.    Only winners you got there are Rice's Michigan and UNLV which is then soured a bit by their epic defeat to Duke the next season.

Who did you root for when Letha Weapon 3 and Shaq's LSU squared off in the NCAA?  That was an amazing game.

Lethal Weapon 3... one of the greatest games in Basketball history.   So was LMU vs. LSU in that same year. 

Have a strong hate for Duke and Indiana.  Duke players rarely go on to better pro careers while UNC and UK and Georgetown and Kentucky players do. 

Somewhere down on the list were MSU teams... and farther down were the Obannon brothers.   Before that was a couple of Arkansas teams...  The OK team with Mookie and Stacie.   The Illinois team with Nick Anderson and Gill.  AI's Georgetown.  Melo's Syracuse (since you want a winner).   

It's just that some basketball is more beautiful than others.  Like Nolan Richardson's defense... 

BTW... UNLV threw that game vs. Duke.   Duke on it's best day couldn't beat UNLV.     What did they lose by the first time.. 47?

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Lethal Weapon 3... one of the greatest games in Basketball history.   So was LMU vs. LSU in that same year. 

Have a strong hate for Duke and Indiana.  Duke players rarely go on to better pro careers while UNC and UK and Georgetown and Kentucky players do. 

Somewhere down on the list were MSU teams... and farther down were the Obannon brothers.   Before that was a couple of Arkansas teams...  The OK team with Mookie and Stacie.   The Illinois team with Nick Anderson and Gill.  AI's Georgetown.  Melo's Syracuse (since you want a winner).   

It's just that some basketball is more beautiful than others.  Like Nolan Richardson's defense... 

BTW... UNLV threw that game vs. Duke.   Duke on it's best day couldn't beat UNLV.     What did they lose by the first time.. 47?

naw, UNLV didn't throw the game.  The difference between the two scores is pretty easy to explain.  For one, Bobby Hurley didn't have the hershey squirts in the rematch.  Remember in the first game he kept having to run back to the locker room?    But, the biggest reason for the drastic change was that Greg Anthony fouled out with 10 minutes left in the rematch.  There's no doubt that Tark was a terrible coach and that the only reason UNLV won is because they had a real coach on the floor running the team in Anthony.  Once he fouled out the wheels fell off in spectacular fashion.

My bball running mate from law school played for TCU as a freshman and started a game at PG vs that Arkansas team in Arkansas.   he said it was not fun lol.   He blew out his knee later that season and left D1 for D3 and then law school.

I was a freshman at Oklahoma for Mookie and Stacey's last year.  I went to the pre season scrimmage and was shocked to see Stacy King thoroughly outplayed by a 6'6 power forward (forgot his name).  After that I wat not the least bit surprised that King never panned out.  He was such a lazy bum.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, shakes said:

UNLV didn't throw the game.  The difference between the two scores is pretty easy to explain. 

Hot tub photo with convicted fixer, UNLV players doomed Jerry Tarkanian |  Las Vegas Review-Journal

You mean that Tark couldn't coach his undefeated team past a 5 loss team that they beat handily the year before?   Yeah, they didn't throw that game...  A lot of people walked off with a lot of money at the betting table though.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, shakes said:

My bball running mate from law school played for TCU as a freshman and started a game at PG vs that Arkansas team in Arkansas. 

It was either TCU or Tulane that would start their 2nd team and let them play and then bring out the starters after the other team was tired.   It was an interesting strategy. 

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Diesel said:

He has more NBA title rings than John Stockton. 

🤣

I have a great story about King.   One off season midway through his career buddies of mine were working summer jobs for a landscaping company.   They got a job at King's house.   Mid summer.    They were there a long time.  Every day King is sitting by his pool eating and drinking and clearly not working out.   This was right after he got let go or traded or something from the Bulls.      My buddies started chatting him up cause they were there so often.  King told them that the Bulls messed up and he guaranteed that he would be an all star one day.

well, he was kinda right cause a couple years later he was an all star.....in the CBA.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

The Oklahoma version of Stacey King (I always thought it was Stacie for some reason... maybe the Wood).   Anyway... Stacey King at OK was really good.   I remember watching them lose to the Kansas team with Danny Manning.. This started my hate for Manning.   Manning beat them in the NCAA Finals and I couldn't understand why OK couldn't do anything to stop him.

But that Next year...  OK was ranked.   They played an early game vs. Michigan.   It was like the 2 vs. 3 game or the 3 vs. 4 game or something.   This is why Michigan is a high ranking team for me...

Storytime with Old man Diesel....

They had:

Glenn Rice, Loy Vault, Sean Higgins, Rumeal Robinson and Terry Mills.   One of the greatest assemblage of talent that College Basketball had ever seen.  @shakes Your Duke loss to win story has nothing on this Michigan team.

This Michigan team... Stacked.. But they never could be Illinois.   For some reason everytime they played Illinois, they would fold.  Like Michigan folded to OSU in football during the 2000s.   Illinois beat Michigan 2 times in the regular season.   Illinois beat Michigan for the Big 10 title. 

Illinois was in the seat of their power.   They were mowing people down in the NCAA tourney.  They walked through Denny Crum's Louisville team with Never Nervous Pervous, LaBradford Smith, and Felton Spencer coming off the bench.  It was a UNLV Duke like blowout.  They mowed down my other favorite team (Syracuse with DC, General Sherman and Billy Owens.).   So final four, standing in their way was the University of Michigan.  Fisher was a first year replacement coach (I think).  They had Beat UM 3 times and they won the coin toss in every game too.    But today...  Was Glenn Rice's day.   Glenn Rice Dueled Kenny Battle like Jeff Teague battled the MVP Derrick Rose in the playoffs.   Rice was not letting up.   Battle was not letting up. (whatever happened to Battle).  Illinois was doing what they always did.  Score just enough to win... but then... THE KID.. Sean Higgins...   That Bald headed...  Oh You watch...

Now there were better games than this...

LSU Vs. Ga Tech..

LMU vs. LSU

come to mind...

But I don't think you can find a better moment in College Basketball history.   It was a game that nobody expected Michigan to win. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The Oklahoma version of Stacey King (I always thought it was Stacie for some reason... maybe the Wood).   Anyway... Stacey King at OK was really good.   I remember watching them lose to the Kansas team with Danny Manning.. This started my hate for Manning.   Manning beat them in the NCAA Finals and I couldn't understand why OK couldn't do anything to stop him.

But that Next year...  OK was ranked.   They played an early game vs. Michigan.   It was like the 2 vs. 3 game or the 3 vs. 4 game or something.   This is why Michigan is a high ranking team for me...

Storytime with Old man Diesel....

They had:

Glenn Rice, Loy Vault, Sean Higgins, Rumeal Robinson and Terry Mills.   One of the greatest assemblage of talent that College Basketball had ever seen.  @shakes Your Duke loss to win story has nothing on this Michigan team.

This Michigan team... Stacked.. But they never could be Illinois.   For some reason everytime they played Illinois, they would fold.  Like Michigan folded to OSU in football during the 2000s.   Illinois beat Michigan 2 times in the regular season.   Illinois beat Michigan for the Big 10 title. 

Illinois was in the seat of their power.   They were mowing people down in the NCAA tourney.  They walked through Denny Crum's Louisville team with Never Nervous Pervous, LaBradford Smith, and Felton Spencer coming off the bench.  It was a UNLV Duke like blowout.  They mowed down my other favorite team (Syracuse with DC, General Sherman and Billy Owens.).   So final four, standing in their way was the University of Michigan.  Fisher was a first year replacement coach (I think).  They had Beat UM 3 times and they won the coin toss in every game too.    But today...  Was Glenn Rice's day.   Glenn Rice Dueled Kenny Battle like Jeff Teague battled the MVP Derrick Rose in the playoffs.   Rice was not letting up.   Battle was not letting up. (whatever happened to Battle).  Illinois was doing what they always did.  Score just enough to win... but then... THE KID.. Sean Higgins...   That Bald headed...  Oh You watch...

Now there were better games than this...

LSU Vs. Ga Tech..

LMU vs. LSU

come to mind...

But I don't think you can find a better moment in College Basketball history.   It was a game that nobody expected Michigan to win. 

I love how you're telling me this stuff like I didn't live through it as well 🤣

My mom went to Illinois and my dad went to DePaul.  I followed my dad and became a DePaul fan and a Illini hater.  Was very happy when Kendall Gill, Stephen Bardo, Marcus Liberty and Nelison Anderson (that was his name in high school before he went to Nick) got beat by Michigan.    If I remember correctly, didn't Higgins score the winner on a put back?

I remember that Kansas/OU game like it was yesterday.  You might've been the only person in the country outside of Oklahoma who was rooting for OU.  How could you not root for Danny and the Miracles?   They got beat 2x by OU that year, but not when it mattered most.   OU had no answer for Manning.  Wasn't Kevin Pritchard on that team as well?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, shakes said:

I remember that Kansas/OU game like it was yesterday.  You might've been the only person in the country outside of Oklahoma who was rooting for OU.  How could you not root for Danny and the Miracles? 

Probably because it was Danny.  My powers as the beyonder allowed me to peer into the future and see that one day he would be traded for Nique and cause the Atlanta Hawks to lose out on their championship.  I should have made my way to Kansas and Nancy Kerrigan'd his knee... but my powers as the beyonder won't allow me to take advantage of my fore knowledge. 

• Haha 1