• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Some talk about DJ's game in the latest AJC >>>

chillzatl

• Admin

Summer league plan goes perfectly

By MICHAEL LEE

Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Boston -- Six games, six wins. The Hawks' run in Shaw's Pro Summer League, completed by an 85-68 victory Sunday against Boston, may not send shock waves through the NBA, but Hawks assistant coach Eric Musselman hopes it is a sign. A year ago, the two best teams here, New Jersey and Boston, went 5-1.

"They were the two teams that went to the Eastern Conference championship," Musselman said. "We were trying to establish a winning culture, and I think we did that."

Wins and losses were not the sole measuring stick. The Hawks were more concerned with the progress of center Theo Ratliff as he rehabs his hip, and the development of young players Dion Glover, DerMarr Johnson and Dan Dickau.

Glover kept his summer league success intact, earning tournament MVP honors.

Johnson came to camp 12 pounds heavier than last season, not enough weight for him to lose the nickname "Slim," or to start mixing it up in the middle. But Sunday, Johnson attacked the basket more and shot fewer 3-pointers while scoring a team-high 20 points.

Early in the week, Johnson seemed content on the perimeter. He shot nearly the same percentage from 3-point range (9-for-21) as he did from inside the arc (20-for-46), averaging 13.8 points a game.

Coach Lon Kruger and his staff still are waiting on Johnson's development as a defender. But he held Boston's Kedric Brown, a first-team all-summer league performer, to three points.

"I need that challenge," Johnson said. "During the season I've got to guard a lot of the league's top players."

Atlanta's first-round pick, Dickau, struggled in the last two days, possibly the result of fatigue from the six-games-in-seven-days schedule. Earlier in the week, Dickau seemed to find a rhythm with Glover and Johnson on the break. He got the Hawks into their offense, made crisp passes and took pull-up jumpers within the flow.

"Dan's a natural," Kruger said. "He's a mature player. He understands where the ball needs to go. He fits well with his teammates."

Musselman's wait

The word on Golden State's vacant coaching position could come in the next few days, but Musselman's chances have increased after Nets assistant Eddie Jordan withdrew from consideration this weekend. The Warriors will choose between Musselman and interim head coach Brian Winters. . . . The Celtics are close to a deal to acquire Vin Baker. Boston is said to be shipping former Georgia Tech point guard Kenny Anderson, Smyrna native Joseph Forte and Vitaly Potapenko to the Sonics for Baker and either Shammond Williams or Earl Watson.

The big test

Kruger said Ratliff, who played the last two days of the summer league, looked "stronger than last October." On Sunday, Ratliff scored six points and blocked three shots. The game also served as a good physical test -- he got to bang inside with the Celtics' 300-plus-pound center, Oliver Miller.

"The Big O is big," Ratliff said with a laugh. "I got in there and pushed around a bit. I just want to continue to increase my strength."

• Admin

I didn't even know we played yesterday. Good to hear that the coaching staff is pushing DJ to go to the basket more and that he's actually doing it.

"Johnson came to camp 12 pounds heavier than last season, not enough weight for him to lose the nickname "Slim," or to start mixing it up in the middle. But Sunday, Johnson attacked the basket more and shot fewer 3-pointers while scoring a team-high 20 points.

Early in the week, Johnson seemed content on the perimeter. He shot nearly the same percentage from 3-point range (9-for-21) as he did from inside the arc (20-for-46), averaging 13.8 points a game. "

The more he does it, the more comfortable he's going to be doing it and the more he will do it in games. Once he adds that facet to his game, he will be a consistant 15+ppg player.

DJ's game is not going to mature all of a sudden no matter how much we all want him to do. We will see him gradually improve different facets of his game until he finally becomes a good all around player. I don't expect DJ to be great every night this upcoming season but I do think he will be a lot more consistent than he was last year. I think we will see even more flashes of great play from him this season and that will set the table for his future.

It is amazing to me how uninformed the AJC writers are regarding the games of our players. Look at this quote:

"Coach Lon Kruger and his staff still are waiting on Johnson's development as a defender. But he held Boston's Kedric Brown, a first-team all-summer league performer, to three points."

The Hawks' coaching staff has been touting DJ's great D for almost an entire season. Musselman talked about it being a big key to our success this summer. DJ's development as a defender is the LEAST of the coaching staff's concerns with regard to his game.