• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Amazing Feat for F. 9/11

Diesel

• Premium Member

The latest movie F. 9/11 by Micheal Moore I just found out made an amazing feat. Everybody knows that F. 9/11 opened up to 20 something million dollars in the box office and was the #1 movie this past weekend. What wasn't said is that it only showed in 1/4 of the box offices available nationwide. That's amazing when you really think about it. Spiderman will overtake it this weekend... However, this weekend, F. 9/11 will open in 1/2 the box offices available nationwide while Spiderman will open at them all. That's not to knock Spiderman because Spiderman 1 was the top grossing movie in movie history. However, it's amazing that F. 9/11 would do so well in such a limited capacity in only it's 1st week.

It makes you wonder, what other underdog movies have done so well in week 1?

If I had to guess, I would say...... Hmmm.....

Shriek1?

It's hard because usually the underdog movies (movies not shown on many screens) need a build up before they can make huge sells.

Quote:

That's not to knock Spiderman because Spiderman 1 was the top grossing movie in movie history.

Spiderman is the #5 grossing movie in movie history, not THE top grossing movie in movie history as you said.

The Matrix Reloaded holds the record for biggest opening day and the original Spiderman holds the record for the largest opening weekend.

Also, that POS movie F 9/11 hasnt had to go up against anything other than Shrek 2 which was already out for what, 3 weeks when it opened? Thats not that impressive.

F 9/11 showed in 868 theaters, with an average daily gross of 6.8 million. That is an average of $7,834 per theater for the average daily gross.

In comparison, Star Wars episode 4 (way back in 1977) only showed in 43 theaters, with a daily average of $518,158. That averages out to $12,050 per day per theater......or roughly $5,000 more per day per theater than F 9/11...and thats in US dollars with 27 years of inflation. That first episode of Star Wars was definitely an underdog seeing as how it only opened in 43 theaters and went on to become the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time behind the Titanic.

• Premium Member

Being an underdog...

But still, to open up with so low a screen count and to finish with 20 something million.... for the first week is a big feat reguardless of what movie. Also, I haven't seen much advertisement for the movie from the motion picture company, but there was a lot of advertisement from the Conservative Media...

It all makes me wonder what were the top Underdog movies of all time...

Forrest Gump

Shriek 1

The Lion King.

Jaws

Top Gun?

Footloose?