• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Get Off DerMarr's Back

jaywalker72

I agree that I have an ultra-optimistic view of DJ's development and certainly, as the article suggested, Turkoglu is ahead of Slim and seems to be the better pick.

The article was written to shine some perspective to the rest of the NBA readers (not necessarily yourself) that DerMarr is not a "bust" or "a disappointment".

Most of these folks don't even acknowledge that Johnson:

a. has improved at all

b. is willing to improve.

c. contributes in any way to the Hawks.

Many in other forums list Johnson as the Hawks most overrated player.

I think that there is a general lack of knowledge about Slim and I wanted to make sure there was a piece written and read that showed some perspective.

I think people, like yourself, know who played which positions if they wanted to compare the swingmen.

And while QRich has as many NBA seasons as Slim, he still had one more year at DePaul than Slim did at UC.

DerMarr did say some ridiculous things his first season, and in my interview with him last season, he admitted that making an impact in the NBA was a tougher road than he thought it would be.

A sign of his maturation was certainly doing what the coaches wanted him to do last year to stay on the court, and understanding that he must prove himself to the staff to get playing time, not demand playing time and then show what he can do.

One last item on DerMarr's growth:

At the Dickau press conference, I asked DerMarr what this might mean for his playing time, seeing as how Dickau would likely see 20-25 minutes a game right off, pushing JT to the 2, and where did that leave Slim?

He responded by saying that he'll play anywhere on the court that the coaches ask him, and that playing the 3 isn't a lot different than playing the 2.

Compared to his "I am a shooting guard" statement of his rookie season, it certainly shows a change of heart, and more importantly, a maturing player.

He has a tendancy to get out of control when he plays. He is a good athlete, but there are times when it looks like he either can't control that athleticism or he just doesn't think.

I like DerMarr's upside, but I want to see marked improvement from an offensive standpoint this season. I want to see him get a better handle on the ball so he can dribble penetrate more often. I want to see him more consistent with his shooting. I, like many others, want to see a little offensive aggression from him.

If his offensive game ever catches up with his defensive game, Atlanta has one hell of a player.

But, I stated when DerMarr was drafted that I didn't see the type of player that would be the go-to man for a team. Rather, I saw a player who could be a Scottie Pippen type of player that feeds off a go-to guy (not necessarily like Michael because there is no one like him).

I think DerMarr would be a perfect compliment to JT and SAR, and I also feel that Dion's and DerMarr's games are great contrasts to each other and would be very effective in the starting line up together at the top of their games.

Mike Miller is better than Darius Miles right now.I don't see the

superstar some see.But Martin is the best in the draft,but 14/5

isn't impressive.

Mike Miller has better offensive stats because other than McGrady their are no other players on Orlando's team. D.Miles is better than Kobe not statistically, but when assessing him versus Kobe after 2 years I think DMile will be the better of the 2. That is if he ever gets playing time with the over loaded clips.

D.Miles is better than Kobe not statistically, but when assessing

him versus Kobe after 2 years I think DMile will be the better of

the 2."

Whatever......

The hawks, and everyone on this board, want to go out and get a quality SG/SF. I personally prefer a SF so DJ can play the 2. We need some size in the backcourt to become a contending team. I also would prefer Lewis of Mike Miller to be the SF that we bring in. Anyway, I digress...

If we bring in a Lewis for example, he will immediately become the 3rd option guy (SAR, JT, Lewis in that order). That leaves DJ as the 4th option. How many 4th option guys do you see in the league averaging 15+ PPG? None!!! You have to share the points. I see it being SAR - 21PPG, JT 18-19PPG, Lewis 15-17PPG, DJ 10-12PPG. That would be an outstanding lineup. 64-69PPG from the top4 would be incredible. Add in Theo's 10PPG of thrash and you have 74-79PPG from your starters unless you have NO bench. With a Decent Bench you would average 110PPG (now we are getting a little ridculous).

I believe that is why the coaches want DJ to focus on Defense. They know the best way to frustrate a young guy is to not let him touch the ball much. With an expected trade, the best DJ can do for us is guard the best swingman on the court. I could see getting a Mike Miller and he and DJ switch positions based on who they are playing. (Vs Orl, LAL, MIL DJ plays the 2, Vs NYK, NO he plays the 3)

The over-rating of Darius Miles amazes me. The guy has tons of athletic ability, an intuitive knack for blocking shots, getting some boards, running the floor, and finishing...but he lacks the most important part of the game...a jumpshot. Seriously, Miles really can't shoot from the floor and unless he learns to do so, it's really going to hinder any more progress from his game. People keep using the Scottie Pippen mantra for those "all-round" type players...but Pips could shoot and score too.

I think it is a little early to say DMiles can't shoot. He came straight out of high school where he probably never had to shoot. He will learn how to shoot.

He may not be able to shoot but he does a lot of other things that are impossible to learn well. Ala blocking shots, finishing strong, rebounding. I think he has many intangibles of basketball. Shooting will come.

Guest Walter

Pippen came out of college making him 4 years older than Miles coming out of HS and shot a miserable 17% from 3pt range. Pippen couldn't shoot. He learned.

w