• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Heat Rebuild plaease

I do not consider myself a "hitch hiker," although it is relativly obvious that I do not post here often I do peruse the site and use HS for more than just the Insiders. I am a Heat fan and basketballboards.net is where I post most often. I do appreciate your posting of the Insiders and to brown nose a bit I hope K-Mart takes the Hawk offer and the Nets don't match. Pretty please. Haha.

here ya go. it took a few days, but you were insistent (and I didn't realize until late last night that I hadn't posted it). As you stated, or I did, I'm much less likely to post for requests from non-normal board members. generally I post them as (or before) I read them. Hopefully, it'll spark more conversations, thus my reasons.

Shaq in Miami?

By Chad Ford

ESPN Insider

Pat Riley jumped ship too early. After watching his beloved Heat -- a team he thought would contend for a title until Alonzo Mourning went down with an illness -- descend into the lottery, Riley had had enough.

Summer Blueprints

What will your team be up to this summer? NBA Insider Chad Ford breaks it down

Detroit Pistons

Indiana Pacers

New Jersey Nets

Memphis Grizzlies

New York Knicks

Denver Nuggets

San Antonio Spurs

Dallas Mavericks

Houston Rockets

Charlotte Bobcats

L.A. Lakers

Sacramento Kings

Utah Jazz

Philadelphia 76ers

Atlanta Hawks

Washington Wizards

Phoenix Suns

Cleveland Cavaliers

Seattle SuperSonics

Chicago Bulls

Golden State Warriors

Los Angeles Clippers

Orlando Magic

Boston Celtics

Portland Trail Blazers

Rookies like Caron Butler and Dwyane Wade were nice additions. Lamar Odom had tons of potential. But Riley was weary of losing. A week into training camp last fall, with Butler out indefinitely with an injury, Riley wasn't seeing many positives. He couldn't bear it any longer.

Riley quit. Stan Van Gundy stepped in. And the Heat became the surprise team in the East last year. Led by a reborn Odom and a Rookie of the Year-caliber performance by Wade, the Heat were, no pun intended, the hottest team in the East as the playoffs began.

Now Riley is getting restless. A year ago he saw lottery. This year he sees championship. Shaquille O'Neal is on the block, and from all accounts, Riley is making a run at him.

"I mean Tracy McGrady got traded, he was on the market," Riley told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "I've heard three or four other great-name players that are on the market, Shaq being one of 'em. You've got to pursue 'em. You're foolish if you don't try to pursue 'em and at least listen. Nothing's happened. Everything right now is so premature."

Could the Heat land Shaq? Are they willing to blow up their young team to get him? Here's a look at what to expect as Insider continues its summer blueprint series.

Heat Summer Blueprint

DRAFT: The Heat stunned a lot of people on draft night by passing on Jameer Nelson, the college player of the year, for little-known high school player Dorell Wright. The Heat needed a point guard in the worst way, and Nelson was considered by many to be the most NBA-ready point guard on the board.

What happened? Wright is pretty darn good. He hadn't gotten the hype of Dwight Howard or Sebastian Telfair, but scouts who have seen him most claim he has a chance to be a Tracy McGrady-like star. The Heat still believe Wade will be their point guard of the future, and in Wright they landed their two guard. He scored 30 points in his summer league debut, including 23 in the second half. Not too shabby for a high school kid. Even LeBron didn't post those numbers in game one.

FREE AGENCY: The team was hoping to land two players with its mid-level exception -- Mark Blount and Rafer Alston. They got neither. Both players commanded much more money and agreed to terms with the Celtics and Raptors, respectively. Where do the Heat go from here?

They've shown some interest in Jamal Crawford, who also would be a perfect complement in their backcourt. The problem with Crawford is the asking price. His agent wants six years, $60 million. The only way to do that is in a sign-and-trade. The Heat could offer Butler and Eddie Jones for Crawford, Jerome Williams and Eddie Robinson and save some money in the long run. But it's debatable whether a trade like that actually makes the Heat any better. Offensively, Crawford has more potential than Jones. But he's not a good defender. Losing Butler would hurt as well.

They've also showed interest in Erick Dampier, but again, it would take a sign-and-trade to get him.

Making things even tougher, Riley prefers not to spend a lot of money on a big contract this year and would like to limit things to three years.

TRADES: By now, you've heard the Lakers and Heat are talking. The deal has taken various forms over the last few days. It sounds, by all accounts, that Brian Grant and Lamar Odom are in it for sure. There's been some debate over whether the Heat also will include Butler in the deal.

Shaq would give the Heat a dominant presence, but is he worth the risk?

After the Heat's nice playoff run, it's clear Riley wants to strike while the iron's hot. But is he sacrificing a nice, long-term run with a maturing club for a quick, two-year shot at the title?

If the Heat have to give up Grant, Odom and Butler, they're essentially left with Shaq at center and Jones and Wade in the backcourt. Having Shaq counts for a lot, but it's awfully tough to win without an experienced four, three and point. Giving up the three players for Shaq isn't the problem. On talent, it's a pretty fair deal for Miami. It's the lack of depth a move like that creates that is worrisome. If Shaq is still out of shape or gets injured, the team is wiped out. Also, will Mickey Arison, the Heat's owner, really agree to the huge extension Shaq is seeking?

You also have to wonder about the Lakers doing this trade. Odom and Butler are nice young players who would fit well in L.A., but neither is a sure thing. Grant is solid, but way overpaid. The Lakers are left without any real size, becoming the Heat of the West, with Kobe substituted for Wade.

COACHING: Stan Van Gundy has done a great job in Miami and recently got a well-deserved contract extension. Of all the things in flux in Miami, Van Gundy's job doesn't appear to be one of them.

FRONT OFFICE: Pat Riley has the itch. He talked to the Lakers, albeit briefly, about coaching again. His name is everywhere. If he can't coach, he wants to be in the Finals, and Shaq offers the ultimate temptation.

For years, Riley has chosen the here and now over the future. For the first time in his career he is rebuilding with young, talented players. Is he willing to stop that process dead in its tracks in exchange for a two-year window at a championship run with Shaq. History suggests the answer for Riley is yes. But given the circumstances of the trade, it looks like a risk the team shouldn't take. If it pans out, the glory is great. But if it fails, Riley will take his act elsewhere and leave the rest of the Heat to pick up the pieces.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.