• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Q&A for MED SCHOOL Admissions

CBAreject

The interview process depends a lot on where you are interviewing. When I interviewed at Pikeville, I had three questions to answer. Who am I? Why Pikeville? Why Osteopathic Medicine?

That was it.

When I interviewed at UMC-Jackson, I was asked questions about bacterial DNA. Some places will ask you things completely off topic from medicine. One of my friends here at PCSOM said that his interview was just a conversation, that he wasn't asked any questions.

It is hard to get a feel for how each place teaches. You will hear different stories from different people. I have always felt that your education is what you make of it though.

Quote:

How is the interview process?

So, I guess you've already filled out your primary application (AMCAS). If you're getting secondaries by now, you should return those as quickly as possible to demonstrate your interest.

Interview days are somewhat variable, but most contain similar elements. You'll have a meet and greet, talk to a fin. aid representative, take a tour of the facilities and affiliated hospital, and generally have 2 30-60 minute interviews.

At least one of your interviewers will be on the Admissions Committee, and it might even be the Dean of Admissions, but this is a random process.

The interview format is usually conversational. It will begin with something like, 'Tell me about your family.' At some point in the interview, you will be asked about your motivation for applying to medical school and ultimately being a doctor. A few interviewers will cut to the chase and ask this pointed question right away. You should have somewhat prepared answers for the following questions:

"Why do you want to be a doctor?"

"Tell me about yourself." (this should be an interesting story)

"What would you do if you didn't get in to medical school?"

Quote:

How do I find out about the different teaching styles of the schools?

You should be able to find out this info on the school website. There is almost always a 'curriculum' heading. If you need more information, call the admissions office. You will certainly be given a full description during your interview day.

Quote:

What should I be looking for?

This, of course, depends on what is important to you, but here are some things you might consider.

Apply to schools where

1) you feel like you have a fair chance of being accepted (apply to MANY schools with a wide range of competitiveness, though)

2) you are satisfied with the school's reputation

3) you think the curriculum suits your goals

4) you think you could LIVE for 4 YEARS (do you want to be separated from your family, being too busy to fly home?)

Choose to attend the school based on

1) the fact that you are ACCEPTED

2) the amount of debt you will have at the end of 4 years

3) the prestige of the school

4) the unique opportunities (research, etc.) that you will have at the school

5) the 'personality' of the students (you do have *some* time for socializing)

Hope that answers some Q's. Will check back in a couple of days. I have my second exam on Monday...

CIM is Current Issues in Medicine.

Today, we had a speaker come in and talk about medical malpractice and tort reform.

Some very interesting stats came out in this talk.

First, malpractice premiums have gone up in states that have a cap on punitive damages. In California, rates have increased 137% over the time period she was discussing. That's too much, but it does show that caps are effective. The increases in states that have no tort reform is a whopping 505%!! If you are an orthopod that was paying $20,000 for malpractice 5 years ago, you are now paying $120,000.

Another thing lawyers don't want to tell people is that the patient only gets 22% of the award. The trial lawyer gets almost 50% of the award. The rest goes towards lost wages by the patient. Incredible!

It's really easy to see why trial attorneys don't want tort reform legislation to go through.