• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks News: January 3, 2005

HawkTodd

Hawks News: January 3, 2005

For Hawks' rookie, there's no place like home (1-3-05)

In some ways, Josh Smith is an assembly-line 19-year-old. "You'd be surprised how many nights he sits around playing video games, watching TV or talking on the phone, like most teenagers do," said one of his agents, Steve Holman.

On other nights, the Hawks rookie travels a special path reserved for the elite few.

These are the opposite poles that players such as Smith have straddled since the NBA began picking young players from the vine. How the league raises its stars from high school to high-profile overnight remains a wonder.

One minute, Smith is spending an evening several feet above the Philips Arena court, collecting an ally-oop pass from Al Harrington, whirling with his back to the basket and throwing down a jolting over-the-head dunk.

The finer points of basketball have yet to be sharpened. But the physical exploits already have inspired the Hawks play-by-play man of 15 years to invoke the franchise's most sacred image. "He's the most exciting thing we've had here in a long time. He does bring back memories of Dominique," said Holman, referring to Hawks superstar Dominique Wilkins.

The next night, Smith may be at his parents' house in Kennesaw, just hanging out. Or maybe he shows up at his younger sister's basketball game inside his one-time playground at McEachern High School. Normal stuff.

Of the challenges facing the youngest of the NBA elite, loneliness, at least, should not trouble Smith just yet.

"It was a blessing for him to be in Atlanta," said Wallace Prather, a longtime friend who serves as one of Smith's agents. "A lot of times, a teenager goes to a city, and when practice is over, his teammates go home to their wives and families. With him being here, he doesn't have to struggle being in an unfamiliar city. He can go home and see Mom and Dad. He doesn't have a lot of the problems a normal teenage rookie would have."

Help from all quarters: Like any emerging star, Smith is the product of an amalgam of influences. It's a rarity in NBA life that he can jump into his new Escalade — it's the single biggest extravagance since signing his three-year, $3.4 million contract — and reach many of them in less than an hour.

Start with something as trivial as the nickname, the hip "J-Smoove." A childhood friend in Cobb, Courtney George, entered Smith in his cellphone under that nom de speed dial, and it just sort of stuck.

Move to the tattoos on each arm. One is a tribute to where Smith is from: An outline of his home state resting upon the initials DSGB (Down South Georgia Boy). The other is a representation of the Lord with a basketball and the quote: "With God on my side, how can I fail?"

Some fathers discourage body art. But Smith's father, Pete, was by Josh's side when he got that one.

"I didn't want to get a stupid tattoo," Josh said. "Some people get tattoos that they regret in the future."

Then consider the many voices in his ear, all nearby and providing a constant instruction. It takes a village to raise a small forward.

The coach keeps up a steady refrain of "harder, faster, more." Mike Woodson knows that Smith could be tempted to glide by on his gifts. Others, notably ESPN's Jay Bilas, painted Smith as unprepared for the NBA life on the night the Hawks made him the 17th pick of the draft. So the prodding never stops.

He since has shown a startling athleticism — as when he swooped from the help-side for 10 blocks against Dallas on Dec. 18 or produced two highlight dunks against the Mavericks again four days later. There are holes in his ball-handling and his left-handed shot, but who steps straight from 12th grade to finished product? Woodson has increased Smith's minutes dramatically, and his current average of seven points, four rebounds and 1.5 blocks a game figure to increase.

"The kid has made tremendous strides in term of his basketball game," Woodson said. "He has a long way to go. He knows now he has to play hard and give big-time effort when he's on the floor. I don't think he knew that this summer."

As for guiding these teens through the minefields of fortune and fame, Woodson said: "They gotta grow up. They're in the big-time league. Yeah, they are young men, but I don't chaperone them. They hang with their teammates, their friends, [and] you just hope they do the right thing. All we can do is mentor them and keep preaching to them the dos and the don'ts of the road."

The teammates are there to give the lessons, from 42-year-old Kevin Willis to Harrington, another high school-to-the-NBA fast-tracker. They all share the responsibility of putting a little age on the kid.

"He has a high basketball IQ. He's as athletic as anybody in the league," Harrington said. "It's a work in progress. It's like you're always pulling him aside saying something to him, coaching him, trying to make him better."

Willis tells him: "You have the talent; you have the skill level; you're going to grow some more; you're going to get stronger. Keep a balance there; you're going to be a special person in this league."

"It's a whole base. We love each other like family," Smith said.

Parents' big presence: Then there is his actual family. His parents are here to take care of the details, whether that is coming over to Smith's Smyrna apartment to fix breakfast or providing a base for all the Hawks' young players. Paulette Smith prepared a Thanksgiving feast for the Hawks' other rookies — Josh Childress, Royal Ivey and Donta Smith — and Harrington.

A large man with a presence to match, Pete Smith is a constant courtside presence as the team warms up before home games. He then settles into his seat behind one basket to study the game.

He is a one-time trucker and a pretty fair basketball player who is very hands-on with Josh. Through his own readily admitted mistakes — "I knew the street life" — Pete Smith feels qualified to guide his son around many of the potholes that collected him. Often when Pete Smith speaks, it is in absolutes.

"As a parent, you always know when your children are born, they are something special. That boy is something special," he said.

Or about women: "Everyone wears a mask, and behind that mask is the real person. Sooner or later, you're going to get behind the mask and see the real person, and, hopefully, it won't cost you a lot of money when you do."

Or about Josh's obligation to his profession: "I always tell him this is a privilege, not a pleasure. Don't turn it into pleasure."

Paulette Smith adds: "I really feel that Josh is grounded. He was brought up in a spiritual environment, taught to do right and to always respect other people and respect himself. I always tell him, 'Make sure you walk in integrity.' He always knows where to come back to. I'm real confident about his decisions."

Of course, in the end, Josh is his own most reliable rudder. He has been asked to grow up quickly, to skip a transitional phase or two. Expectation weighs heavily. Temptation loiters around every hotel lobby.

"I'm comfortable," Smith says. "You can't have a lot of stress on you. You got to play under pressure thinking it's not really pressure. You got to have confidence.

"I know right from wrong. I know not to do dumb stuff."

Along with his ability to elevate higher and quicker than most, the 6-foot-8 kid has one other physical quirk: To go with the size-14 feet are a pair of quite regulation-issue hands. He can't securely palm a basketball, explaining why he sometimes loses the ball in mid-dunk, clanging the ball off the back of the rim.

It is a reminder of how young Smith is, how much there is for him to grasp.

------------------------------------------------------------

Rookie Rankings: Jan. 3, 2005

6. Josh Smith, F, Atlanta Hawks (No. 17)

Stats: 7.1 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 1.4 APG (13.0 PRA)

Upcoming: at Cle. (1/5), vs. Sac. (1/7)

Breakdown: The athletic Smith has blocked at least one shot in every game since being inserted into the Hawks starting lineup. Smith is averaging 2.73 blocks as a starter and only .80 blocks when coming off the bench.

Heat rise, Magic disappear (1-3-05)

29) Hawks (5-24) (28)

When we said no one can fill Philips Arena, of course we meant no one on the Atlanta roster. Just wanted to clarify, since LeBron, for example, has proven he can do it.

Power Rankings: Suns, Heat streaking across NBA (1-3-05)

29) Atlanta Hawks (5-24) (29)

Josh Smith is averaging 7.1 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.6 blocks in just under 20 minutes per game. The 6-foot-9 rookie is also showing the kind of athleticism not seen in Atlanta since the days of Dominique Wilkins.

THE DAILY (1-3-05)

Atlanta Hawks: It was Atlanta's closest loss in over a month. Falling 104-101 on Sunday to the Wizards, the Hawks had their closest loss since a one-point disappointment to the Knicks back on November 30th. Since that point, all their losses had been blowouts and none had been by less than five points. To be within one point with 3.1 seconds left to team that is second only to the Heat in the same division is a good way to start the New Year. Not the best, of course, but it's certainly better than getting blown out. Is the chemistry starting to come together?

Atlanta Hawks Team Report - January 3

(Sports Network) - The Atlanta Hawks lost to the Washington Wizards, 104-101, on Sunday at the MCI Center.

Antoine Walker posted 18 points and 13 boards in Sunday's loss for the Hawks, who dropped their fourth straight.

Atlanta, which will wrap up its brief two-game road trip in Cleveland on Wednesday, has dropped four straight and eight of nine on the road. The Hawks are 2-11 away from home this season.

The Hawks are 0-2 against the Cavaliers this season. Cleveland defeated Atlanta twice at Philips Arena. The teams are scheduled to play once more this season, as the Cavs will host the Hawks on February 16.

Walker has scored in double-digits in seven straight games. He is averaging 17.3 points and 9.6 rebounds in that span. Walker leads the Hawks in scoring (20.3 ppg) and rebounding (9.1 rpg).

I wondered about this until I read it in the above article.

Josh Smith does not have the hands to match the rset of his body. He played PF against the Wizards and posted up several times, with the same results each time, the ball was striped away. Otherwise he played well there, and the Hawks took the lead with him at that spot.

I know Willis has very short arms, and it did not keep him from leading the League in rebounding. Some of you may dissagree, but bad hands is what killed Cal Bowdler's career in the NBA. The nice thing about Josh is that he can play multiple positions, and this should not diminish his value.

i dont think small hands means much.

yes it helps to have bigger hands... but small hands wont get u kicked out of the league.

Steve Francis cant grip the ball and he has NO TROUBLE doing his thing in ORLANDO. Like u mentioned, Kevin Willis has short arms/hands and hes has a wonderful career.

As for CAL BOWDLER, i think he just lacked TALENT. straight up TALENT. he could have the hands of SHAQ and he'd still be in a league like the NBDL- not the NBA.