• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Inside Legler: Players @ the First Half

Weez

Nash, James sparking turnarounds

By Tim Legler

ESPN Insider

I have to admit it. I love a good debate. And when you are talking about the NBA, nothing can spark a more heated argument than ranking the top players in the league, position by position.

This week I will focus on the perimeter players wreaking havoc across the Association. For the purposes of this discussion, I will take a look at the players that have been the best performers as we approach the mid-point of the season.

Point Guards

1. Steve Nash (Phoenix Suns)

No player in the entire NBA has a greater impact on the success of his team this season than the Suns' playmaking point guard. Winning 31 out of 35 games with Nash in the lineup, the Suns have been the biggest surprise in the league.

Although his statistics (15.3 ppg, 51 percent from the floor, 10.9 apg) are certainly gaudy, they don't tell the entire story. The true measure of a great point guard is his ability to make life much easier for his teammates.

Nash has taken on 90% of the decision making that takes place in the course of a game and has a tremendous impact on the production of his fellow starters. All four -- Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Marion, Quentin Richardson and Joe Johnson -- are having career years at the same time. As the early season MVP, Steve Nash has made picking this year's top point guard the easies decision of all.

2. Steve Francis (Orlando Magic)

Steve Francis is finally able to display the skills we all have been waiting see since coming out of the University of Maryland. Freed from the stifling offensive pace of Jeff Van Gundy's system in Houston, Francis is enjoying life with the running and gunning Magic.

Despite the fact that Francis is not a pure point guard in the old school sense of the word, he is the primary playmaker in a high octane offense that feeds off his explosiveness in the open court.

His scoring (21.8 ppg) has been impressive, but he has always had the ability to put up big numbers. The reason he is having the best season of his career is his added ability to create for others in transition and half-court sets. As indicated by his seven assists per game, Francis has enjoyed being able to flourish in the Magic's open floor style as a scorer and playmaker.

Allen Iverson is keeping the Sixers in playoff contention.

3. Allen Iverson (Philadelphia 76ers)

Granted, the Sixers are a miserable 18-20 in the horrific Atlantic division. But imagine where they would be without his 28 points per night. Iverson, despite having very little help in Philly, is having one of the best years of his career.

He has made the move to point guard under coach Jim O'brien fairly seamlessly and has been able to dish out over seven assists a night, despite being the first three options on offense. I have always been a big proponent of praising guys that are on winning teams, but in Allen Iverson's case, his heart and consistent production tell the whole story.

Shooting Guards

1. Lebron James (Cleveland Cavaliers)

Is there really a need to explain this one? I mean, the Cavs are 23-15. That's right. The Cleveland Cavaliers are 8 games over .500 near the end of January. They are tied for first place in a division that features the defending world champion Detroit Pistons and the Indiana Pacers. Lebron James is the reason for their remarkable success.

Amazingly, at 20 years old, he has elevated himself to the greatest perimeter player in the NBA. He scores (24.7ppg). He creates (7.3 assists). He rebounds (7.2). Most importantly, however, he leads. His innate ability to understand how to get his teammates involved in the flow of the game, while also being able to take matters upon himself when needed, make Lebron James the most unique player to enter the NBA since Shaquille O'Neal.

2. Ray Allen (Seattle Supersonics)

Long regarded as one the top shooters in the NBA, Ray Allen has taken his game to another level. The team's early season success (27-10, 1st place in the Northwest division), along with a ridiculous shooting spree to open the season, has elevated Allen (23.9 ppg, 42% three point shooting) to superstar status.

The major difference this year in Allen's game has been the fact that he has taken a team with one other high level player, Rashard Lewis, and a full compliment of role players, and lead them to an 8.5 game lead over the preseason favorite Minnesota Timberwolves. Whether the Sonics can maintain their pace and be a factor in the playoffs remains to be seen. For the time being, however, Ray Allen deserves plenty of love.

3. Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles lakers) / Tracy McGrady (Houston Rockets)

OK. Call me indecisive. I can't decide. The deepest position in the NBA affords me the luxury of not having to choose between these two scoring machines.

Kobe has taken a team that many (not yours truly) picked to miss the playoffs and led them to a 21-16 record, good for 6th in the talent laden West. He has embraced his long sought opportunity to be "The Man" and willed his competitiveness onto his teammates, making the Lakers one of the hardest working teams in the league. He still has a long way to go in terms of trusting his teammates and incorporating Lamar Odom into the offense, but Kobe has faced the pressure and not wilted.

Tracy McGrady took a little while to figure out how to play with Yao Ming, but it is beginning to happen. There has never been a question about T-Mac's talent and scoring ability. His prowess as a leader and winner? That was another matter. He is starting to answer his critics and prove to us all that the expectations placed upon him are warranted.

Small Forwards

1. Antawn Jamison (Washington Wizards)

Using the same formula applied to Lebron James, it is easy to understand how Jamison has risen to the top of the heap at the small forward position. He has lead a surprising Wizards team to playoff contention by bringing his innate scoring (20.1), rebounding (8.4) and leadership to a long-suffering franchise saddled with a losing mentality.

Along with fellow Warriors' cast-offs Larry Hughes and Gilbert Arenas, Jamison has turned Golden State East into one of the most explosive and high-scoring teams in the entire league. More importantly, however, he has helped to make it fun to be a Wizard fan once again and turned the MCI Center into more than just a place to see a great concert.

Shawn Marion remains an underrated players.

2. Shawn Marion (Phoenix Suns)

I have felt for years that Shawn Marion has been one of the most underrated players in the NBA. He may still be, but not for long. The blazing start by the Phoenix Suns has put Marion on the map.

Although he plays the power forward position for the vertically challenged Suns, Marion is a 6-9 track star capable of finishing with the very best. He has always scored (19.3 ppg) at a high rate. The most underrated aspects of his game have always been his rebounding (9.5) and his three point shooting (38%). If Marion continues to perform at this rate, and, more importantly, the Suns can sustain a long playoff run, there will be nothing overlooked about Shawn Marion's game ever again.

3. Rashard Lewis (Seattle Supersonics)

I admit it. I like winners. I enjoy watching teams that play the game unselfishly and without hidden agendas. No words better describe the Supersonics. As a result, Rashard Lewis (20.5ppg, 9.5 rbs, 46% fg) has emerged as Ray Allen's right-hand man on the NBA's most surprising team.

At 6'10", with great quickness, Lewis presents a multitude of match-up problems for opposing teams. If you want to guard him with a small forward, Lewis will post up and use his length to shoot over defenders in the post. Guard him with a traditional power forward and he will use his explosive first step to drive to the hoop. Force him out on the floor and his 40% three point shooting will devastate you. In short, he is a complete offensive player.

So, let the debates begin. I can hear you at the water cooler. What about Dwayne Wade? Where is Paul Pierce? No Stephon Marbury? Tony Parker? Rip Hamilton?

Hey, it's harder than it looks. Just wait until I get to the post players.

Tim Legler, an NBA analyst for ESPN and former NBA 3-point champion, is a regular contributor to Insider.