• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How did Dermarr look in his return to Phillips?

Blunt91

I couldn't see the game but I was wondering how well did Dermarr Johnson play. I saw that he had 16points which is pretty decent. Whom was DJ matched up against Childress or Josh Smith? I saw a clip on Hawks.com that shows Dermarr trying a layup with Smoove trying to block it. So did Dermarr look better than Childress? Which 6thpicked looked better to you?

• Moderators

I saw parts where Demarr looked really good. Apparently he hit a lot of threes. He did get totally stuffed by Smoove on a 1 on 1 fast break but managed to get the ball back and put it in and complain to the officials about getting fouled when he so obviously got rejected. But, he looked really good offensively, but to me Childress is a better all around player. I didn't see enough last night to really compare their games but it still didn't seem like Demarr was starter material, but he definitely is a spark off the bench. Its amazing he's back and playing in the nba considering what he's been through.

Childress likes to play in the paint, not just stand around and wait for the ball to come to him at the 3pt line like DJ has always done. They really arent even similar players because of how aggressive Childress is and how passive DJ is. The major thing that will make Childress successful where DJ has failed in his career is that Childress isnt afraid to mix it up and when he has a rough shooting night he will be okay because his shots are higher percentage shots and he gets to the FT line.

I will give it up to DJ though he does have a sweet J from downtown. I wish he was still here playing for us but I do wish him well and I expect him to always be a productive bench player. He is just too thin and passive to ever be a successful starter though.

DJ seems to have all but abandoned his inside game. I remember him being a pretty good finisher and week side defender when he played here. The one time he went to the hole, Smoove sent it back out. He did shoot the ball well, but thats because Smoove wasn't getting out on him. After the 3rd butt chewing from Woody, Smoove finally got in his face on the perimeter and DJ no longer had any wide open 3's.