• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

10 reasons Hawks need Newbel's perimeter D

coachx

This is what scares me entering the season without Newbel.

1. Vince Carter

2. Jerry Stackhouse

3. Reggie Miller

4. Ray Allen

5. Tracy McGrady

6. Allan Houston

7. Latrell Sprewell

8. Paul Peirce (SG/SF)

9. Eddie Jones

10. Allen Iverson

This is a list of 2-guards in the East that the Hawks must go up against about 4 times a piece during the season and possibly the playoffs.

I hope DJ will step up and be the stopper but will these big time names intimidate the young DJ. Newbel has proven he is not intimidated by the big time names and has shut down the likes of Kobe Bryant before.

In my opinion, the Hawks cannot afford to cut E. Davi and have his contract count against the cap since we are so close to paying the luxury tax that will soon be set. Therefore, Davis will be the 5th guard.

If Newbell doesn't sign for short $1 mill a year, than Willis will.

Newbel is needed more in my opinion since Crawford is alwayse hurt and he was the best perimeter defender on the team last year.

Then again, Haslem would be the cheapest way out. The Hawk's could probably get him for $350,000 to $500,000 a year (rookie minimum).

• Premium Member

I think you're right about Davis - the fact he's in the last year of his contract and is older than the other four guards probably mean he's staying put for now. Can't see the Hawks cutting him after taking on more salary with the trade, unless Newble signs cheaply.

IMO, here's the breakdown:

PG: Terry/Dickau/Davis

SG: Johnson/Glover/Davis/Terry

SF: Robinson/Crawford/Johnson/Rahim

PF: Rahim/Henderson/Mohammed/Crawford

C: Ratliff/Mohammed/Henderson

The likelihood that Ratliff will miss some games this year due to injury means Nazr would get a lot of time at Center in the meantime. In that case (and no one could reasonably expect Theo to play all 82 games), who would be Nazr's backup? Alan Henderson? I think it's pretty obvious the Hawks need more depth at Center, regardless of other defensive liabilities, so that the other players can play where they're more comfortable.

I could be wrong, but it looks like Player #12 will be a Center and Willis seems to be a popular selection...But if he's not the Hawks' primary choice, is there anyone else out there capable of filling that role?