• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Everyone talking about defense, but........

TheRealDray

Does anyone else get the feel that the NBA is beginning to take a swing to the more open offenses. I mean D is still most important, but look at the latest "trend" in the NBA, Kings, Mavs, Magic, Clips, etc. All of those teams are more of the we think "we can outscore you" school of thought, and that seems to be becoming more and more prevelant among GM's, and management. Obviously, Stern and his cronies enjoy it much more since it makes for a more exciting brand of

b-ball which should mean bigger ratings.

I know Big Dawg is more of a shoot first player, but I feel like we are basically trying to be one of the first East coast versions of the Mavs and Kings. I would hope that we can add 4-5 ppg to our team total(hopefully even more LOL), and that may actually lower our opponents ppg, since that will be fewer fast break opportunities off of missed shots.

I know that D still wins championships, but Miami/Orlando are good examples of teams that I am talking about the Heat led the NBA in lowest ppg against, and missed to playoffs and the exact opposite is true of the Magic most ppg against(at least in the East) and made playoffs(many injuries did not help the Heat), but it still shows that D is not the be all and end all of who wins and makes the playoffs. A very good O and solid D are many times just as good if not better.

I know I rambled a bit in this post, but I just got sick and tired of reading how Big Dawg will make our D worse. Some of the so called experts who get paid for reporting on ESPN and such are so full of crap it is sickening. No one ever mentions the fact that the NBA is attempting to win back the publics attention(especially w/ the baseball problems looming), and the best way to do so, is to have fun, more high scoring games that are fun to watch in person as well as on tv. I just think that we are trying to stay above the curve w/ this deal!

GO HAWKS!!!

Well the deal is that Big Dog and Toni are about the same

defenders.But our defense might be below average UNLESS

Terry becomes more defensive minded and less shooting.Can

Lon convince JT to doing this?JT is quick enough to be a good

defender,but I'd rather see him play better one on one defense

rather than getting steals in the passing lanes.

The Heat always have scoring problems.This isn't gunna change

until they get a new head coach.I like Pat....I really do,but the

game has passed him by and it is leaning more toward offense

and that will only make his coaching look worse.

You figure Orlando average around 100PPG WITHOUT Grant

Hill and Mike Miller missing games.US and Celtics have the

potential to be a bigger offensive team because I do believe

Baker will do better in Boston.

Although John Luca isnt the greatest coach in the league, he is a very smart man and knows a lot about basketball and his opinion of this whole debate is

--A good action will always beat a good reaction--

I love it........that speaks volumes about our teams likely makeup.

RealDray, I agree with you in that the League is moving more towards the open offenses and run and gun style of play that flourished in the 80's but was subsequently ironically altered by Pat Riley and the Knicks (somewhat different from the showtime lakers wouldn't you say?).

We have the scoring punch now to compete with most anyone.

I think a lot really depends on Theo. His shot blocking/ altering capabilities provides the inside defensive presence that will make players think twice about driving the lane. This piont is huge, as it alters the responsibilities and nuances of every other player on the floor.

With Theo there to block shots, something that was less than average with Nazr, it makes everyone on the floor much better defensively, esp. the back court players who generally guard the quicker ball handlers who usually penetrate.

I was impressed with Jay's nugget about Dawg leading the Bucks in steals. I realize that JT was a very good defender in college; while not a great "on the ball defender," I think he capitalizes on playing good "team defense." There's differences in the two styles, and with JT's speed, covering ground in the backcourt to hinder passes into the post and cutters, we are better than average defensively IMO.

Everything on the defensive sad revolves around our having a force in teh middle. Hopefully we have it, because with JT's team defense, DerMarr (the obvious starter due to his three point range and highly notable on the ball/ man on man defense), Robinson, SAR, and Theo, we're able to post a lineup that averages 6'9 in height and has at least average defenders at every position.

Man I'm excited. Another thing with Robinson is that he's a name people recognize, and will hopefully put more fans in the seats to watch this team dominate.