MLB Rumors: Thompson finished?

Justin Thompson's comeback ...

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Ray Allen

Sonics

Sonics

Cavaliers?

Bucks?

Clippers? Mar. 7 - Of the top-tier guys on the free agent list, Ray Allen has the best shot of leaving, Insider's Chad Ford says. Allen tried to hammer out a big extension with the Sonics all season to no avail. The two sides essentially bickered over the last year of a five-year deal being guaranteed.

Allen has threatened to bolt if the Sonics don't up their offer -- but where would he go? Cleveland is the most likely destination. If the Cavs don't land Michael Redd, Allen would be an attractive option. Allen hasn't ruled out a return to Milwaukee either, though that doesn't appear likely.

The Clippers could have interest, though it's unclear whether Allen would reciprocate. The rest of the teams with money will look for someone younger.

If the Cavs don't come through, Allen's options will be limited to either signing with Seattle for less money or working out a sign-and-trade with the Sonics. Under the last two scenarios, the Sonics get something back in return.

Michael Redd

Bucks

Trail Blazers?

Timberwolves?

Cavaliers?

Nuggets?

Mar. 7 - All-Star guard Michael Redd will command a huge raise next summer and the Bucks are prepared to pay it, Insider's Chad Ford reports. Redd enjoys playing for coach Terry Porter but if Porter is let go, which has been speculated, that could affect Redd's decision, The Journal Times reported.

There has been a lot of talk that Redd will bolt the Bucks for the Cavs this summer. However, the day before the trade deadline, Redd gave strong indications to the Bucks that he will re-sign in Milwaukee this summer as long as they give him a big deal.

Still, look for the Cavs to make a big push this summer. The opportunity to return to his home state and play with LeBron might trump the extra year and bigger raises that the Bucks can offer.

Redd is averaging 22.6 points and 4.3 rebounds per game.

Nick Van Exel

Trail Blazers

Mavericks? Mar. 7 - Losing and bad knees have pushed Nick Van Exel to re-confirm his desire to hang up his sneakers after the season. The Blazers are 13 games under .500 and the veteran guard is playing on knees he calls "bone to bone."

"I've been thinking of (retiring), especially through the tough times with my knee injury from last season," Van Exel told The Denver Post. "I was tired of feeling the way I felt. Losing takes a toll on me."

Would anything change his mind? "A winning or a good situation. A chance to win a championship." But would anyone want to pick up his hefty $12.8 million price tag for 2005-'06?

Van Exel averaged nearly 18 points a game in four seasons with Denver (1998-2002). "I never played with or coached a player with the guts that Nick Van Exel has," former Nuggets coach and general manager Dan Issel added.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Eddy Curry

Bulls

Bulls Mar. 7 - Limited to just 16 minutes in a loss at Milwaukee March 5 and being benched most of the second half in the Bulls' last two games, Eddy Curry spoke publicly of his displeasure and questioned if he has a role in Chicago.

"Eventually, you do have to take a second look at things and think if it's the right place for you and your family," Curry said in the Chicago Tribune March 6.

Curry committed four turnovers in that time, which coach Scott Skiles said was "probably enough" to deserve a benching. "He's available. We're just choosing to go in another direction," Skiles added.

Curry believes he's going to get a big contract this summer, Insider's Chad Ford writes. The Bulls like Curry, but owner Jerry Reisndorf doesn't sound ready to commit to a huge guaranteed deal for him.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Allan Houston

Knicks

Retirement? Mar. 2 - Team president Isiah Thomas again expressed concern about whether Houston, sidelined since Jan. 21 with an arthritic knee, will ever play for the Knicks again, the New York Daily News reports.

"Reality tells me that I have to plan as if Allan Houston won't be here," Thomas told WFAN radio on March 1. "Now, if Allan Houston returns, that's great. But I have to plan and move on as if Allan Houston is not going to play."

Thomas has hinted that Houston might need to consider early retirement. Houston insists he is not considering retirement, even though he has missed 69 of the past 139 games. He is owed $56 million on a six-year, $100 million contract he signed in August, 2001.

Antonio Daniels

SuperSonics

Bucks?

SuperSonics

Mar. 2 - Daniels – and not former Buck Ray Allen – might be the Sonic most likely to join the Milwaukee franchise this summer as a free agent, the Seattle Times reports.

A candidate for Sixth Man of The Year honors this season, Daniels might find a starting spot with the Bucks next fall if he tests the free-agent waters. Plus, there's the lure of fellow Columbus, Ohio native and good friend Michael Redd – provided Redd re-signs with the Bucks.

"It's almost a waste of time to think about it," Daniels told the Times. "My focus is here and to get this team as far as we can in the playoffs."

Daniels has not publicly stated whether he will become a free agent this summer, the Times reports.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Head coach Feb. 28 - Coach Frank Hamblen is a placeholder going into the summer and does not have a long-term future in Los Angeles. According to Insider's Chad Ford, the Lakers will pursue Phil Jackson, whom the Knicks also want. Whoever doesn't get Phil likely will make a pitch at the Pistons' Larry Brown (who claims he won't coach another NBA team) and ousted Wolves head coach Flip Saunders.

GM, head coach Feb. 28 - Head coach Mo Cheeks and GM John Nash might both go down with the ship in Portland, Insider's Chad Ford reports.

The Blazers have been indifferent, at best, toward Cheeks for several months. They haven't done much to support him and have infuriated Cheeks with their constant suggestions on who should be playing.

Nash isn't in a much better spot. Can anyone honestly say the Blazers are better off now than they were two years ago? The team continues to make dumb financial moves, was unable to turn three good trade assets into a trade before the deadline and, for the most part, has turned much of the city against it.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Head coach, GM Feb. 28 - Raptors head coach Sam Mitchell and GM Rob Babcock are off to a rocky start – and at least one of them might not last until next season. The good money is on Mitchell. His rookie mistakes as head coach have turned into a big enough distraction that Babcock might look to see what else is out there this season.

Babcock isn't off to a great start, either. He made a huge error on draft night, muffed the Vince Carter trade, then sat out the trade deadline, reportedly afraid that he might make another bad move. He'll likely have another year to prove himself, but the pressure will be on this summer for him to begin righting the wrongs (some self-created) in Toronto.

Feb. 28 - Timberwolves coach/VP Kevin McHale could be out of both jobs if things don't turn around soon, Insider's Chad Ford reports. McHale's win-now, worry-about-the-future-later philosophy caught up with him quickly. Leaving the front office to coach the team was the final act of desperation.

Regardless of whether the team makes the playoffs, it's probably time for a change in Minnesota. McHale's inability to get a trade done before the deadline, and Kevin Garnett's growing surliness toward the team, likely will get him kicked to the curb.

Tyson Chandler

Bulls

Bulls Feb. 25 - Like teammate Eddy Curry, Chandler survived the trade deadline and remains a member of the Bulls. GM John Paxson apparently plans to keep it that way, telling the Chicago Tribune he wants to re-sign both players and hopes neither even bothers to solicit an offer sheet from another team.

"I think they want to be here," Paxson told the paper. "I expect us to sit down and negotiate and get a deal done that's good for them and good for us."

Donyell Marshall

Raptors

Pacers

Heat

Spurs

Knicks

Timberwolves

Rockets Feb. 25 - The Raptors balked at pulling the trigger on numerous offers for Marshall before Thursday's deadline, including offers of such young prospects as Sasha Pavlovic and Dorell Wright. Instead, they'll play out the season and let Marshall walk in free agency.

Peja Stojakovic

Kings

Lakers?

Feb. 24 - The trade of Chris Webber to Philadelphia should clear up Stojakovic's future in Sacramento. The veteran small forward had let it be known early in the season that he wanted out, and a rumor flying at the All-Star Game suggested the Kings were ready to oblige. But it seems the Kings chose to keep Peja and move Webber instead.