• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's up with the Bucks? Respond please.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Having read some posts by Bucks' fans on RealGm, I think I agree with them that "something's up" with their organization. First of all, many Bucks' fans don't think that Robinson was as much a troublemaker as he is made out to be and I for one would have to agree...

It doesn't make sense - Leon Smith will most likely be cut and doesn't really matter if he isn't. Hawks did not particularly want to give Kukoc starter $ for 8th or 9th man quality, so taking him "off their hands" in exchange for a starter hurts the rest of the EC (inc. the Bucks). Yes, the Bucks get cap room, but not enough the next two years to sign a top quality FA to replace the loss of Big Dog. Of course, Tim Thomas finally gets good minutes, but is that really worth giving up a 20ppg scorer? A lot of Bucks' fans think he'll never be as good as Robinson, nor does he have that much better a contract.

I read somewhere that the Pacers' pick was top 15 protected. If that's true, then the Bucks will probably not get a "high-quality" pick unless the Hawks tank the season (and even the Hawks' pick is top 3 protected isn't it?).

And why did they not demand Nazr in return?

Other than Thomas getting more PT and cap room 3 YEARS from now, the only positive for the Bucks would be if the Hawks screw up this season. So is it just me, or does it seem illogical to help a team out by trading a 20ppg. scorer to them, taking one of their big salaries, and giving them more roster space in return, All THE WHILE hoping they'll screw up? And anyways, even if we don't make the playoffs, we'll still get a late first rounder to "ease our pain."

Am I missing something here?

You mention the cap relief and possible chemistry aleviations as some of the few reasons that the Bucks made this trade. I think they had some other objectives in mind:

1. (as mentioned), getting TT more pt to justify his contract, Karl's love of him

2. Adding a decent player in Toni who has been there, can hit the shots (when healthy), and can pass and get his without disrupting others' shot attempts

3. Increasing the ability to resign M. Redd. He's shown he potential and proved his worth. I don't think they wanted him to slip away, but needed to show him that they had room for him.

4. Adding another draft pick for next year in case things start// continue to go sour. If Cassell gets hurt or can't hold up, the team becomes quite mediocre, having only Ray Allen and possibility Mason as established players.

5. while taking yet another risk, they potentially have the ability to develop Leon, an undeniable talent, yet someone who has yet to figure out what he truly wants...and with the unguaranteed contract, they can cut him at any time.

I'm not saying that they got the better end of the deal, but I think they wanted to "cover all their bases" without swaying too much towards the dreaded "rebuilding" franchise. They still have a good team, possibly very good, but are in the hands of health in many ways (similar to the nets in that regard).

I'm not saying I agree with the trade from their point, just trying to find the rationale in their decision.

I have to wonder if they are considering rebuilding or something.

Cassell is getting old.Thomas/Redd/Ray Allen aren't that old.Maybe

Sam Cassell isn't in their future plans either?Could they send him

to Miami or somewhere?What about Boston since they need a PG?

Like I said, they are covering all their bases. I think that they've quitely slid into a quasi-NYK rebuilding mode, i.e. not saying as much to the media, but making decisions highlighting the fact. Having that talented of a team and not making the playoffs really turned some heads, including Sen. Kohl I believe.

Look at it. With the exception of Cassell, they have a very young team and including three rookies on their roster (Haislip, Gadzuric, and Ronald Murray).

If things start to go downhill this year, I believe they'll trade Cassell to a playoff contender in need of a vet starting pg (look what Indiana did last year in crunch time...no pt for the rook in the playoffs).

I have to say though that it's a dangerous move considering you're rebuliding and yet have the highest paid coach in basketball. If things do continue to go south, expect Karl to look for a way out as I'm not sure he wants to rebuild. Most est. coaches don't. ?

In short, they're hoping for the best yet preparing for the worst.

Is is possible that George Karl relates Glenn Robinson to Shawn Kemp? With the most recent allegations and pattern of alcohol abuse and perhaps infidelity, Karl believes Robinson is on the same downtown train as his once beloved All-Star in Seattle? Perhaps he cared for Robinson enough to get him out of town in order to save him from the same demise as Kemp?