Williams will retire at end of season

NFL Rumors: Plaxico to Miami?

According to agent Drew ...

MLB Rumors: Closing argument

It's a good bet the Tigers ...

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Chris Webber

Sixers

Knee Mar. 14 - Did the 76ers do their homework on Chris Webber's injured knee before giving the okay to complete a blockbuster deal with the Kings?

Philadelphia will tell you yes. However, league sources say the team has made phone calls after the deal was done to inquire about any more information that may have not been disclosed to the Sixers, according to Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News.

Webber averages more than 20 points per game. But only once in his first nine games with the 76ers has Webber scored 20 or more points (he had 24 in a 98-89 win over Cleveland March 4).

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Scott Williams

Cavaliers

Retirement? Mar. 14 - F Scott Williams will call it quits at the conclusion of the season, The Plain Dealer reported March 13. Williams, who went undrafted in 1990 after a four-year college career at North Carolina, played 15 NBA seasons that included three titles with the Bulls, who he joined as a free agent during the Michael Jordan era.

"It's been one heck of a ride," Williams said in The Plain Dealer. "I've had a career that I would have never dreamed of having and it's great to go out with this organization. I'm going out on a positive note."

The 6-10 Williams, who turns 37 on March 21, also played for Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Denver, Phoenix and Dallas. While his playing time has been limited, Williams has accepted a role of helping develop younger players. Williams is prepared to walk away on his own terms.

"It's time," Williams added. "My body feels good but I've always said that I didn't want this game to ruin my body. I didn't want to walk away with any lasting injuries or anything that would prevent me from enjoying the next biggest game of my life and that's playing one-on-one with my son in the driveway."

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Phil Jackson

Lakers

Coaching job Mar. 11 - Jackson's two-month South Pacific vacation is over and he's thinking about returning to coaching. But he's refusing media requests and he's not talking to teams about possible job offers until the regular season ends in April, the New York Times reports.

Jackson's agent Todd Musberger released a statement announcing the interview embargo.

Jackson, tied with former Celtics coach Red Auerbach for the most NBA titles (nine), is expected to command a $10 million annual salary. The Times reports at least eight teams could be in the running for Jackson's services, including his most recent employer the Lakers, the Knicks, the Trail Blazers, the Timberwolves. Each of those teams have interim coaching situations now, but the Times adds the Kings, Mavericks, SuperSonics and Bulls to the mix of possible pursuers.

The Knicks are thought to be the favorites.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Jermaine O'Neal

Pacers

Injury Mar. 11 - O'Neal's sprained right shoulder might sideline him longer than five games, the Indianapolis Star reported.

"There's no official word yet, but I'm starting to be afraid this is more serious than we hoped," coach Rick Carlisle said.

O'Neal sprained his shoulder attempting a dunk March 3 at Denver. A week of doctors visits in Los Angeles has raised the possibility of shoulder surgery – an option that might end the season for the all-star.

O'Neal, who has been on the injured list since March 4, discarded a sling days after the injury but has been seen favoring his shoulder, the Star reported. The signing of Dale Davis has helped the Pacers defensively, but O'Neal's offense is missed.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Guard Mar. 10 - With Doug Christie likely out for the season, the Magic are in the market for a guard. General manager John Weisbrod told the Orlando Sentinel that his preference is "a domestic player who's playing in Europe."

The paper mentions Jimmy "Snap" Hunter, who impressed Weisbrod in summer-league play and is now playing in Europe, as one possibility.

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Mike Dunleavy

Warriors

Clippers?

Mar. 8 - Will the Clippers' shingle one day read "Dunleavy and Son"?

According to the Los Angeles Times, Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy no longer has any qualms about coaching Mike Jr., a forward for the Warriors who will be a restricted free agent in 2006.

"I'd be very interested in him," said Dunleavy, who abandoned pursuit of the Warriors coaching vacancy three years ago when that team's front office planned to take Dunleavy Jr. with the third overall pick in the draft. "(When he was) coming into the league, I would not coach him. Now, I have no qualms about it. I don't know that he would. I don't think he would, but you never know."

Dad says his son has "established a certain credibility in his game", making the idea of a father coaching his son in the NBA any easier proposition to consider.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Doug Christie

Magic

Injury

Mar. 8 - Christie, who went on the injured list March 5, said he does not expect to play again this season because he needs surgery to fix bone spurs in his left ankle, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Christie said he has been "spitting up blood" in reaction to taking antiinflamatories to deal with playing in pain. There had been speculation that Christie, who missed the preseason with the Kings last fall and has been bothered by foot problems, was upset with being traded to the Magic in January.

He called in sick and missed a March 3 practice and the March 4 shootaround and game against the Knicks. But after a 90-minute discussion with his agent and GM John Weisbrod, Christie explained his absence and was placed on the injured list, the Sentinel reported.

Said Christie: "I'm sorry that things got misconstrued, but sometimes as an athlete, you don't like to talk about injuries. … I want to be part of the Orlando Magic."

Ray Allen

Sonics

Sonics

Cavaliers?

Bucks?

Clippers? Mar. 7 - Of the top-tier guys on the free agent list, Ray Allen has the best shot of leaving, Insider's Chad Ford says. Allen tried to hammer out a big extension with the Sonics all season to no avail. The two sides essentially bickered over the last year of a five-year deal being guaranteed.

Allen has threatened to bolt if the Sonics don't up their offer -- but where would he go? Cleveland is the most likely destination. If the Cavs don't land Michael Redd, Allen would be an attractive option. Allen hasn't ruled out a return to Milwaukee either, though that doesn't appear likely.

The Clippers could have interest, though it's unclear whether Allen would reciprocate. The rest of the teams with money will look for someone younger.

If the Cavs don't come through, Allen's options will be limited to either signing with Seattle for less money or working out a sign-and-trade with the Sonics. Under the last two scenarios, the Sonics get something back in return.

Michael Redd

Bucks

Trail Blazers?

Timberwolves?

Cavaliers?

Nuggets?

Mar. 7 - All-Star guard Michael Redd will command a huge raise next summer and the Bucks are prepared to pay it, Insider's Chad Ford reports. Redd enjoys playing for coach Terry Porter but if Porter is let go, which has been speculated, that could affect Redd's decision, The Journal Times reported.

There has been a lot of talk that Redd will bolt the Bucks for the Cavs this summer. However, the day before the trade deadline, Redd gave strong indications to the Bucks that he will re-sign in Milwaukee this summer as long as they give him a big deal.

Still, look for the Cavs to make a big push this summer. The opportunity to return to his home state and play with LeBron might trump the extra year and bigger raises that the Bucks can offer.

Redd is averaging 22.6 points and 4.3 rebounds per game.

Nick Van Exel

Trail Blazers

Mavericks? Mar. 7 - Losing and bad knees have pushed Nick Van Exel to re-confirm his desire to hang up his sneakers after the season. The Blazers are 13 games under .500 and the veteran guard is playing on knees he calls "bone to bone."

"I've been thinking of (retiring), especially through the tough times with my knee injury from last season," Van Exel told The Denver Post. "I was tired of feeling the way I felt. Losing takes a toll on me."

Would anything change his mind? "A winning or a good situation. A chance to win a championship." But would anyone want to pick up his hefty $12.8 million price tag for 2005-'06?

Van Exel averaged nearly 18 points a game in four seasons with Denver (1998-2002). "I never played with or coached a player with the guts that Nick Van Exel has," former Nuggets coach and general manager Dan Issel added.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Eddy Curry

Bulls

Bulls Mar. 7 - Limited to just 16 minutes in a loss at Milwaukee March 5 and being benched most of the second half in the Bulls' last two games, Eddy Curry spoke publicly of his displeasure and questioned if he has a role in Chicago.

"Eventually, you do have to take a second look at things and think if it's the right place for you and your family," Curry said in the Chicago Tribune March 6.

Curry committed four turnovers in that time, which coach Scott Skiles said was "probably enough" to deserve a benching. "He's available. We're just choosing to go in another direction," Skiles added.

Curry believes he's going to get a big contract this summer, Insider's Chad Ford writes. The Bulls like Curry, but owner Jerry Reisndorf doesn't sound ready to commit to a huge guaranteed deal for him.