• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade with Portland! - San Antonio Model

hawks1

Need some bold moves to be competitive next year - San Antonio model!

Conditions of Trade: Hawks with worst record in NBA plus Lakers don't make playoffs

Atlanta Trades: 2005 2nd Round Pick, 1st Round Pick from Boston/LA, Tony Delk, Predrag Drobnjak, Donta Smith

Portland Trades: Theo Ratliff, 2005 1st Round Pick (top 5 protected)

Why? Theo recently signed a contract extension that has 3 years remaining after this year with approx 35 million. I agree that is way too much for Theo, but it is only 5 mil more next year once lose Tony and Predrag's contracts. Further, he is a defensive minded, long, athletic 7 footer with a fair offensive game. Lastly, Portland gets out of his huge contract (saves 25 million) since they are starting Joel Pryzbilla and Theo is coming of the bench. Would I prefer Chandler, Curry, or Brown - sure, but they will be more money and require 6 years, and who is to say they will ever mature if you give them that many years at so a huge dollar figure. Portland would have cap space coming available if they trade Theo, somebody who is obviously not in their future with Pryzbilla's performance, but Atlanta would not take Theo's contract without enticement of their pick this year.

Draft: 1st Pick of Draft - Andrew Bogut

Portlands Projected Pick Today #6 - trade down or best PG available vs best athlete available

Free Agency: Throw 4-5 year contract after Joe Johnson - give max dollars, but not max years - 4 years and 50 mil - he is great 3 point shooter and aggressive defensively; consider resigning Tyrone Lue to nice size 1 year contract -1 yr 6 mil (way too much, but must overpay to not give multi-year contract)

2005-2005

PG Tyronne Lue/Boris Diaw/PG from Spurs #6 pick

SG Joe Johnson/Josh Childress

SF Al Harrington/Josh Smith

PF Andrew Bogut

C Theo Ratlif

Reminds of Spurs - two 7 footers, with C defensively minded; draft good PG to develop for 1 year behind Lue and Diaw; deep at 2/3 spot with athleticism; Harrington contact expire next year and Smith will be able to step in and then plenty of money in free agency - keeps team under tax threshold, with youth and experience, no unmoveable long term contracts, keeps all picks; mix of youth

I know Bogut is not Duncan, but with his size, athletic strong body and outside shot, he would fit in with Harrington's slashing, post-up ability with Theo's offensive rebound game and Johnson's outside game with athleticism - this team would be sick next year and be set for years to come - all are reasonable moves and would be very accomplishable

Thoughts?

• Moderators

Wow. I think Theo would pull a JJ and refuse to play here. I think he really hated it here and players seem to be getting away with that now.

But isn't Pryz playing because Theo has been injured? I haven't really been following it that much. Theo had a good year for us but I think he is too injury prone to become one of our highest paid players. I'd rather take a chance on Curry.

I like your thinking though. It may be time to trade a pick for some proven talent. I'd like to get something better than Theo though.