• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nice Hawks Win - PG Observation

pathway23

I think Ivey and Lue can get the job done at PG for us. Ivey is the defensive PG and Lue offensive. Of course, this game may have been a bad example because Minnesota's backcourt is in serious disarry. At the same time, Lue's assist to turnover ratio is like 3.5 to 1, even though sometimes he gets a little shot happy, and Ivey is improving as PG imo at the same time his lack of confidence in his shot gets teammates involved more than Lue does.

Look at this -

In 48 minutes vs Minnesota

Lue 29min 9-12 FG 1-1 3FG 4-4 FT 3 REB 3 AST 0 STL 0 TO 23 pts

Ivey 19min 3-4 FG 0-0 3FG 4-4 FT 3 REB 5 AST 1 STL 0 TO 10 pts

Thats 33 pts, 8 ast, 6 reb, 1stl, 0 to from the PG spot in a game! wow!

I think we need big people period in draft and FAcy and maybe one of the marquis SG in FA. Sure a Deron Williams wouldn't hurt, but imho, PG isn't the most glaring need on this team. We've also got Diaw who can manage spot duty at the point.

Any thoughts or opinions?

I think Lue would be better in a back-up role because his game is so up and down. He can have nights like he did tonight and he can have nights where he's 2 for 10 from the floor. His defense is sometimes up & down too. I feel Deron Williams is a floor general and will make the right pass everytime and set his teammates up to score. I feel Williams will be better defensively than Lue also.

It's obvious we have no bigs, but I'm not so sure we'll see another player of Williams' caliber for a while. The thing is, if we don't take Bogut, there's not really any other bigs worth taking that high. I like Ronnie Turiaf later on in the draft, we may have a chance to get him with our first 2nd round pick. He's a big banger that stays in the post on both ends of the floor.

Thing with Bogut...to me, it seems like he 'thrives' under certain systems, but not all. I'd trade down if it were possible to 'arrange' a deal for williams. PG penetration/defense initiates the positioning that leads to our exposed 'interior'.

Lue and Ivy are no more than 2nd or 3rd stringers ..Tonight was the exception, certainly not the rule..We had huge nights from Lue and Delk..That is the reason we won..Neither are consistant enough to string together 5 or 6 good games in a row..What I don't understand are the veterans getting big minutes and Diaw and Donte get 8 and 6 respectively..That is just FLAT OUT POOR COACHING at this point of this season. BK needs to tell Woody that he don't give a damn if we get blown out by 30 these last few games, get ALL the kids alot of minutes so we can see what we have..We know what Googs, Lue, Delk, Drob, Collier, etc can do..This new guy we signed (James Thomas), he needs a few minutes also..He appears to be a rebounding machine..He is the all time rebounds leader at Texas, and averaged 13 a game in the NBDL..He was Ivys teamate for 4 years at Texas..Is just a kid himself..Bench the vets, play the kids...............

I agree that it's an abberation, and that both players a 'true' backups (Lue as a scorer, Ivey as an 'actual' pg). The played well last night...which is probably why you're not seeing the younger guys get much burn.

While I have questioned why Diaw's getting DNP=CD's, I think the precedent set at the beginning of the year remains true, even this late in the season. If a player, rookie or whomever, wants pt, they've got to earn it. The team should try to win each game, and put the best players on the court.

If that's the reasoning...I have no probelms with it.

• Premium Member

But anything beyond that? Can't say. Lue for certain, I know the extent of. He's a PG that doesn't really make the players around him better. He can run the offense, he can make plays, but he isn't the kind of playmaker that changes how a team plays. He's a good sparkplug to bring off the bench...and quite worth keeping around for that.

Ivey started off real strong at the beginning of the season, then came that injury, then he just got lost in the rotation. I was really excited about him early on. He showed tremendous poise and control and an exceptional ability to get into the lane.

Both of these guys are decent, but neither should have an impact upon our draft plans. I think we're too caught up in trying to fill holes...when the entire team is just one big hole. What we really lack is a player that rasies the level of play of everyone around him and to me, it doesn't matter what position he plays.

Yup, Lue and Ivey and maybe Diaw are worth having as backups, they'll probably never be key players on a good team. I've been happy with how BK has used the Joshes this year. However, I dont get the rest of it. Ivey would get as many minutes as Lue if it were my team. Donta and Diaw are in crowded positions but I'd still have them on the court in place of so many Delk or Googs minutes. We supposedly want to be a defensive team and all our young players seem as solid defensively as our vets. Maybe someone figures we're paying the vets more, make them take the loss, dont mentally damage all our youngsters.

ivey=best defensive pg

diaw=top 2 defensive players on team

i'd run ivey/diaw/danta/chill/smoove lineup

it'd be our best defensive lineup

it'd be our best young potential lineup

smoove at center wouldn't be TOO much unlike amare at center...we don't care about winning anyway tongue.gif

but seriously, those 5 should at least get 30mpg...cut lue down to 15mpg and let googs backup smoove 15mpg and let drobs/collier rotate at the center

actually, i'd have the new guy play center 30mpg, cause he's a rebounding machine, so we need to know if we want him for the future or not

My main point was that PG wasn't the biggest need on the team. The PG position isn't the reason opposing players especially big people are having a tea party in our lane.

Sure these guys aren't first tier PGs in this league but if we want to win we need to think big first.

A first tier drafted PG, no matter who it is, isn't going to make that much of a difference if we are still counting on Collier and Drobs in the pivot.

Tyronn is a quandary. Nights like Saturday, he looks like Steve Nash on the court, slashing, dishing, hitting big shots. Other nights, he might as well be Steve Henson out there. Overall, I would say he and Ivey have shown improvement all year. If Lue wasn't so short, he could get it done on both ends. I think both of them should watch tapes of Mookie Blaylock to see how defense is played from the point position.

But I would say that Lue has blossomed in his role this year, and I am happy with his performance given what we have to work with.

the stats from the game showed that they got it done on the offensive end...but only ivey can adequately defend the opposing pg...

another defensive pg that can run the team, like deron, would be great, with ivey as the backup...we'd be set at pg for years to come if deron is near as good as he we think he'll be

Lue has did a nice job for us but let's face it even if we offered him good money I doubt he would want to come back to this losing team. He probably can't wait till the season is over so he can explore his other options in the league.

I totally agree about BIGS being our 1st priority. We need a legitmate NBA center or Power Forward that can sometimes play Center like Amare Stoudemire.

Priority should be Center then Point Guard in the Draft/Offseason and then look for a legitimate Power Forward.

All I am saying is Lue and Ivey are not the answer at PG next year or the future. They would be excellent backups but we need to get another legitimate star Point Guard either through FA or the draft.

• Premium Member

Mookie was a pure joy to watch on both ends of the court. A lot of people blasted him for that pullup shot that he'd always take on the break...but other than that, man...Mookie was a phenomenal PG. What a backcourt that was...Mookie and Smitty.

Man, if we had younger versions of both those guys right now...[censored] and a younger Deke too..

lol

I can dream can't I! grin.gif