• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is a "Real Fan"

Lrenfro

What makes you a real fan? Is it because you have a lot of post on a message board? Is it because you want your team to win? Is it because you are fortunate enough to purchase season tickets? We are questioned as fans, we question each other as fans but how do you know you are a fan? Do you label yourself as a fan or do people come to your house and look around and tell you that you are a Hawks fan. How long do you have to be a Hawks fan to be a true hawks fan. Can you wake up and say I like those Hawks and now you are a fan. Do you have to remember the glory days before you can be a fan or do you have to be able to ACE a Hawks trivia? Just curious.

i said 60-82, but i prolly haven't seen that many on tv cause many of them are on when i have class, so i watch the first half/3quarters on gamechannel in class and then listen to the rest on radio driving home...i consider that the same as watching on tv or seeing it live as i'm doing the best i can to follow the game

btw, i think there is no definition of fan...if u say ur a fan, then ur a fan...there are different types, u can argue, like "fair-weather" and "bandwagon" and "diehard"...so u can attempt to define those

Quote:

Someone who follows the team. Unlike Dallas, Sacramento, LA, NY or any other team...we have no bandwagon to ride on. So everyone who follows this team right now is a true fan.

I agree.

Personally, I've been to 4 games, and seen all but about 12 games. The sad thing is, about 7 of those 12 have been wins. I have had the uncanny ability to miss half the wins and watch almost all the losses.

i haven't been to nary a Hawks game in my entire life...i followed them as a kid as I did the Braves and Falcons when i lived in middle Georgia. I was too poor to go to games. Now I'm actually getting to the point where I can afford going to games but I live in Florida, about 6 hours away...I'm usually spending that money on driving to Tallahassee to see my Noles...I plan on going hopefully next year to my first Hawks (and professional bball game at that) at the age of 33. Bring some of my Celtic/Magic friends along.

but that makes me no less of a fan..everyone around me knows i am a fan and i keep track of it on a daily basis, of course alot through this site..you are a fan if you kept loyalties to a team for a long time through good and bad, then you're a fan.. i listened to them on the radio when i was a kid low enough where my parents couldn't hear..to me that's more of a fan than someone who goes to more games but only when they win.

I consider myself a fan because I have followed this team from the days they were in St Louis (Bob Pettit, Cliff Hagen, and Clyde lovellet). Followed them through the "Pistol Pete" days, and the Dominique era. I have stayed with them through thick and thin and this is about as thin as I can ever remember!

I live in Connecticut and watch the entire schedule on NBA Season Pass but still manage to watch 3-4 games a year in person either in Boston, New Jersey or in Atlanta. This year is the first year I have not seen a live game in person.

I consider myself a fan because I ALWAYS root for my team to win and usually loudly (even though I may be in hostile surroundings like Boston where I've had beer thrown at me.

I go to just about every single Hawks home games, but I don't hold that aganist other people. I don't believe a "real fan" has to go to any Hawks games, but you should represent.

I support two NBA teams, but have flown high, and been down an the dumps. I have always stuck with the two, travel to see both, and etc.

I dislike people who acts like they support a team, but really don't.

I am on this board for the better part of 4 or 5 times a week. I read from you guys, I sometimes wonder what kind of fan am I? I see the stats you keep up with. I see the trade proposals. I see Scout proposals. I don't know much about any of that. The only team I watch is the Hawks. I get most of my knowledge from you guys. I do attend games every chance I get and I have a room in my house dedicated to Hawks paraphernalia. People walk in my house and say why in the world are you a Hawks fan. My only answer is I don't know I just like the Hawks. I was just trying to find some help in figuring out why I am considered a Hawks fan. When I am out of town, as I am allot I try to attend games when the Hawks are in the town. I am often asked who is your team this year? I reply the same, as it has been for the past 25 years The Atlanta Hawks. They laugh and ask when is the last time they have won a game I just reply they don't have to win for me to like them I just like them and hope they win. I guess I am a fan just because I am huh?

• Admin

I talk ball with people all the time and I love telling them that my team is the Atlanta Hawks. I love it when they say something ignorant like "man they've haven't had a good team since Nique" and I can school them and remind them of mookie, smitty, laettner, deke, etc.

I also love it when they try to talk about how bad we are now and I get to go off about Josh Smith or Childress and how we're turning it around. Not just the peripheral filler like "josh smith won the dunk contest" but the meat of why we're turning it around. How Childress can do this and Smooth can do that and how we've got a good draft pick and money and are in a position that this team has NEVER been in before. It shocks the hell out of people and I love it! Not only because they know that this guy knows some stuff about basketball. But that they know that I care enough to know it about the Hawks and that's what really matters!