DiD anybody read this article?

Diesel

• Premium Member

'Big Dog' may put Hawks on short leash

by Mike Sandrolini / August 5, 2002

Following last season's second-half free fall, the question wasn't if the Milwaukee Bucks were going to shuffle the deck and deal one of their "Big Three," a.k.a., Sam Cassell, Ray Allen and Glenn Robinson. It was simply a question of when.

And Friday, it was "Big Dog" whom the Bucks turned loose, trading him to the Atlanta Hawks for Toni Kukoc, Leon Smith --a one-time first-round draft choice of the San Antonio Spurs-- and a first-round pick in the 2003 draft.

On paper, you are tempted to give the edge to Atlanta for getting the better end of this deal. Kukoc, a guard in a 6-11 frame, made a good first impression in the NBA with his ballhandling and playmaking abilities while winning championship rings with the Chicago Bulls during the mid-1990s. But you can take the "Sensation" out of Kukoc's longtime "Croatian Sensation" handle because he's lost at least a half step, if not a full step.

Smith, meanwhile, has yet to live up to his potential after the Spurs drafted him out of Martin Luther King High School in Chicago in 1999. He did hook on with the Hawks late last season after averaging a league-high 15.3 rebounds per game with two CBA clubs. However, Smith comes to the Bucks with off-court baggage -- most recently, he failed to show up to play for the Hawks' rookie team in Boston this summer (don't be surprised if he's not on the Bucks' opening night roster).

Long the subject of trade rumors, Robinson's departure isn't a shock. Considered by many to be the NBA's best-shooting small forward, Robinson averaged just over 21 points per game during his eight-year career with the Bucks.

Undoubtedly, Big Dog will bring some Big to the Hawks if he can duplicate his career average, and provide Atlanta with something it sorely lacked last season: perimeter shooting. Robinson also will help take the scoring load off of power forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim (21.1 points per game) and guard Jason Terry (19.3), the only Hawks who averaged in double figures during the 2001-02 season.

Hawks brass is hoping the addition of Robinson -- who, combined with Abdur-Rahim and a healthy Theo Ratliff, gives the Hawks one of the top frontcourts in the NBA's Eastern Conference -- will help them keep a promise to season ticket-holders.

That promise (gulp)? Atlanta will make the playoffs this season.

Let's put it this way, folks: I'd hate to be in GM Pete Babcock's and director of basketball operations Billy Knight's shoes, hoping Big Dog, with a change of scenery, can lead Atlanta out of the dog house and into promised land. I'm simply not convinced Robinson can deliver.

"Big Dog" did his share of whimpering as the Bucks slid out of playoff contention just one season after they nearly made it to the NBA Finals. All of Robinson's vital statistics -- points, shooting percentage, rebounds and assists -- took a dip in 2001-02, as well.

To top that off, Robinson has an August 19 court date hanging over his head, stemming from an incident last month where he allegedly pushed his ex-fiancee and demanded she let him into her house.

Robinson, to his credit, has apologized profusely for the incident. Nonetheless, he was charged with assault, illegal possession of a firearm and misdemeanor counts of domestic battery -- clearly not the kind of fodder you want in your bio as you try to establish yourself in a new city.

What puzzles most about the Hawks acquiring Robinson, however, is this tidbit: last winter, the Hawks averaged 94 points per game and surrendered 98.3 -- one of the worst ratios in the league (the Bucks, meanwhile, averaged 97.5 points while giving up 97.7). Robinson's scoring output alone may help bridge this gap. Then again, will the Hawks now lose games by margins of, say, 105-101? It's no secret "Big Dog" pretty much dogs it on defense.

The same can be said about Toni Kukoc's defensive shortcomings. Still, bringing Kukoc into the mix will enable George Karl to move sixth man Tim Thomas, a better defender than Robinson, into the starting lineup. Karl wants the Bucks to become a better defensive ball club and share the ball more. He likes Kukoc, and believes Kukoc can give the Bucks a lift offensively off the bench because of his ability to distribute the ball.

The deal makes sense for Milwaukee from a financial standpoint, too. Milwaukee locked up Thomas to a huge contract prior to the start of last season, and couldn't live with both he and Big Dog making big bucks. In addition, the Bucks freed up some coin by ridding themselves of a $12 million extension that would have kicked in at the end of Robinson's whopping 11-year, $80 million contract.

And here's the trump card for Milwaukee: Atlanta has two first-round draft picks in 2003, but the Bucks will get the higher pick.

That may very well become a lottery selection if Big Dog's game goes to the dogs in Atlanta. .

Mike Sandrolini has written about the NBA for various newspapers and magazines. He is a regular contributor to HoopsHype.com

It doesn't bother me this year like it did last year.Everyone

was on our jock last summer.....

Some people are saying the Bulls will make the playoffs and

we will not.

Sandrolini said:

"Let's put it this way, folks: I'd hate to be in GM Pete Babcock's and director of basketball operations Billy Knight's shoes, hoping Big Dog, with a change of scenery, can LEAD Atlanta out of the dog house and into promised land. I'm simply not convinced Robinson can deliver."

The operative word is "lead." Big Dog will not be expected to LEAD us anywhere, just to be a very good role player on a team with two established leaders in JT and Reef. Big Dog's role is to come in here and score his 20 ppg, grab a few boards and at least give some effort on D. Besides staying out of trouble, that's all we need from him. Anything over and above that is gravy.

The problem with the Bucks is that they had no leaders. Cassell, Allen and Big Dog all have big ego's and neither of them were willing to sacrifice personal accomplishments for the good of the team. Cassell and Big Dog get all the bad press because they are a lot more outspoken but Ray Allen's ego is just as big as their's, he just keeps a lower profile. I remember Ray Allen's first All Star game. He came in and shot the ball literally every time he touched it. When asked about it later, he said that it didn't matter who he was on the court with, he didn't feel that ANYONE should shoot anymore than he did. Jordan played in that game too if I remember correctly. Ray is by no means a troublemaker but he's too quiet (and a little to selfish) to be an effective leader.

The bottom line is that the Bucks were incredibly talented but they had no leaders. I don't think this trade addressed that problem and I won't be surprised to see Cassell moved out shortly.

I think Big Dog's big ego is exactly what we need everyone on our team is so modest on and off court. Everyone works within the offensive sceme. Big Dog is the fire we need. Reef is great but if he had Big Dog's ego he would average 35 - 36ppg. Big Dog is the one ego on an egoless team which makes him perfect because we have to depend on JT as the lone soul to get the team fired up.

At least not yet. I think an offensive gunner without a conscience is just what the doctor ordered for this team. I think Big Dog is a great fit. It's fun to think about the different ways we can attack teams now with Big dog on board. I don't care if he becomes our leading scorer and first option on offense. If he does, great! Reef would be an unbelievable 2nd option.