• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

BK and the Bigs

Iman

I would have added this to the Kwame post but it was already getting to long to follow.

I think BK's strategy will be to go after pretty much all the hyped bigmen as early as possible. I see him making his first offer to the player he want most, slightly overpaying and for 4 years, say Dalembert starting at $8mil per. Then he'll continue to make more offers, less overpaying and shorter, say Chandler for 3 yrs starting at $7mil per. I think he'll want to push some teams to overpay and if in the meantime he gets a player he wants so be it, we have plenty of capspace. Once some early decisions are forced he can really go after players with less bidders to compete against and with more teams already cap committed. He might even make a bluff at one player to get the other, especially on teams such as Chicago, Washington, and Phili. We might get Kwame by making a big offer for Hughes for example. If we see an early overbid for Korver, that might mean he's trying to come after with a big bid for Dalembert. I see tons of offer sheets coming from BK.

While all this is happening, I hope we try to sign up a couple of projects with potential. I like Desagna Diop and Tskitasvilli both for some Collier sized contracts.

Lots of excitement for an offseason! What do y'all think, who will BK truely be trying to get. Who would be some nice fillers to sign?

the previous post is correct. one simply cannot employ such a strategy in FAcy. After an offer's made on a rFA, the team owning his rights has two weeks to match...which means you COULD go after ONE other rFA during this time, given our cap space...but it's difficult. urFA will be especially leary of signing here if we've already made an offer on a similar player who's a rFA for another team.

a) we can go after 3 at the same time...we have TONS of cap space...maybe even 4 depending on how much we offer

b) FAs know that to get the MOST MONEY, they will need to get us to bid them up...thus they will NOT sign while we are waiting to hear about daly/chandler/etc...they will wait until that is done and then get our bid so they can make the most money possible...why would u sell a 100k car at an auction when u know that nobody that is there has more than 50k to spend? when u can wait 2 weeks till the people with 300k to spend are at the auction?

Billy has already proven that he isn't going to go out and offer big contracts to mediocre players. He won't overpay in free agency, and most of that comes from his belief that teams are built through the draft, not free agency.

He's not going to give $8 million a year to a guy like Dalembert who only averages around 10 points and 7 rebounds per game.

I can see him offering a deal to Stromile Swift in the $5-6 million per year range, but I don't see anyone else on the market that Billy will pay more than that to get.

• Premium Member

I doubt that BK will go after rFA whom he does not want to be matched by their team. So I doubt he makes any offer for Chandler (the same way he did Swift Last season). I think it's possible that we might put a huge offer for Dally out there. I also think it's possible that we try to trade Al for Kwame some kind of way.

• Premium Member

I think what you fail to see is that BK has to do something this yr or risk losing his job. I think we have used the draft and will have 2 more picks next yr. However, we have so much money and BK is under so much pressure that he will probably put a deal out there that he knows Philly can't match for Dally simply because Dally is a Woodson guy, he's defensive and Athletic and Versatile. That's the BK montra...

"I think what you fail to see is that BK has to do something this yr or risk losing his job. I think we have used the draft and will have 2 more picks next yr."

all the more reason NOT to go after Kwame. if he struggles, or even fails to thrive some...you've got a losing team, and a bad one at that (with a now overpaid Kwame that will be completely worthless in terms of trade value).

the Josh's, esp. Smoove, are going to continue to make 'mishaps' as we mount more responsibility on them.

The best thing to do is build, around some stability, and get a pf/c that we KNOW will be serviceable in terms of defense/simple consistency.

• Premium Member

I don't think we're going after three?

I think we might go after Dally and Possibly Kwame...

BK MIGHT go after Swift, but I think NO will go after him stronger...

The point is that with 25 Million dollars and 2 medium contracts coming off the books next yr, BK will spend some money this summer.

• Premium Member

Quote:

he can look, but that doesn't mean that i, personally, want swift for more than a few mil, as he's not much different from smoove with less upside

Danger Will Robinson.. BS...

Well, fist..

Swift is much longer than Smoove.

2nd.

Swift can guard the Center position.

I think that you guys need to stop saying that he's no different than smoove... That's B.S....

I'm not advocating that we get Swift, I'm just pointing out that if we do get him, there's a reason. He's a PF/C who can play good defense and has potential on offense.

I dont think Swift is much longer than Smoove. But I do think he is used to player against bigger players, whereas Smoove is used to being bigger than the player he's guarding. I think that's why Smoove sometimes doesnt move his feet well, he let's his man get by him so he can block him from behind. I'd like to have Swift, he might have to come off the bench unless we get other scorers.

Last year we didnt go after Swift as a rFA, I think we will go after many rFA's this year. With our capspace and the length of the signing period I see us making many offers, 4-6 I'd guess. A trade of Harrington for Kwame or preferably Chandler wouldnt bother me at all. It may be required if we draft Marvin.

and some may know I don't do that with regularity. But it appears that he and I are of the same mentality regarding Swift.

Smoove=sf/pf depending on taste, with decent shot (in progress) and ability to handle a little bit.

Swift= equally as explosive, he centers game much closer to the basket. Not a particularly strong rebounder; gets large majority of his points in transition and offensive putbacks.

One can argue that they can both guard the 4...and play if. But as Diesel said, Smoove is a sf/pf while Swift is clearly a pf/c. Both can block shots.

• Premium Member

Nick, it's not just height and Weight...

It's BUILD and Style...

Swift on offense plays around the bucket. Has a Back to the Basket game in the low post.

What about Smoove?

Swift is longer with longer arms...

Smoove is bulkier with muscle weight.

Swift = PF/C

Smoove = SF/PF.

NOT the Same...

Smoove also has the same dimensions as SAR... Do they play the same game?

smoove's game isn't defined yet...he's still 19...we'll see where they go with him

however, i wouldn't mind having swift here, it would just be as a 20-30mpg backup and wouldn't need to be for 7+mil....if it's a decent amount or a 3-year higher amount, i'm ok...but i don't wanna throw 9mil for 4+ years at him