• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How Should the Hawks Be Dismantled?

Diesel

• Premium Member

The way I see it, we got ONE shot at this. IF this plan of ours don't work (regaurdless of what Babs say about staying together) this current team will be dismantled.

My question is, How should we be.

Say in April, we are not in playoff contention... Who should be traded for a player in their last yr?

1. Hendu/DJ for Coleman/2nd?

2. Theo ?

3. Should we trade the Big Dog?

Whoose head would be the first to roll?

I would try and package him for a swingman.Big Dog isn't

tradeable and really neither is Shareef.OR if JT is unable

to handle the PG by midseason we might have to trade

him and maybe DJ?

Man, Diesel your addicted to trades. Chill we only need to make a few mid season moves and we are in the mix. We will have to trade Big dog for a younger star in acouple of years other than that I dont see a need for any big moves. I think you addicted.

PS please stop bringing up DC he isn't a sissyballer but he is garbage which is just as bad.

• Admin

Those are minor tweaks. FAR from dismantling. If it made us better I wouldn't be opposed to trading any of those players you mentioned. But that's not dismantling.

we shouldn't have to dismantle this team for quite a few years. We have the core, JT/Reef and possibly either DJ or G.rob. Hard to say which one at this point. If DJ steps up this season, it's him without a doubt. JT/Reef/DJ. But if his defense isn't good enough and his offense doesn't grow then probably Robinson. But there is no reason at all to break up that core for another 5-6 years. We have the luxury of having those players at a good age, unlike Mookie/Smitty where age was a very realistic factor. We can keep retooling and working with the team for years before we really have to consider breaking it up and starting over. If this team, as is, can't get it done THIS YEAR, there is NO reason to dismantle. Make some tweaks yes, but dismantle, no way.

Chillz - why not keep them both. Granted that is assuming that DJ continues to develop and doesn't ask for too large a contract in two years

IMO, again assuming DJ continues improving this year, I say we sign him to an extension next summer as that might allow us to retain him at a somewhat cheaper price than having him patrol the free-agent waters in two seasons.

On that note, does anyone know if we have picked up the option on his fourth year (now that I'm thinking about it, that generally doesn't occur until the summer following the third, but I didn't know if it could be done earlier and if we had done so).

• Admin

But realistically if we kept this team together for 2 years and they don't get to a certain level you have to look to make changes. Not dismantling, because we have a young, strong core to build around. But you have to retool the team, try to find that missing player or players that can help that core get to the next level. I wouldn't move any of the core players for at least 2 years though and I think keeping JT/Reef together for years to come is a smart idea. That's really our core, our shaq/kobe, our walker/pierce, etc. You keep those guys together and build around them. We should be strong for years.

it is always good to look at different ways to improve. even the lakers (rush), kings (keon or donyell) and mavs (lewis) are trying to improve. we are a good team now, no doubt, but yet, we haven't proven anything to the league and won't until we start winning games consistently, we shouldn't stop improving just because our team just became much better.

i guess i misunderstood what you were trying to say. i think we should move dion now if we aren't likely to resign newble. i would prefer a defensive sg/sf to come off the bench. CC should go too. he hasn't played more than 50 games a season and his contract is bad. he is a decent player with heart, but we must move on and get a guy who can help us more. as for hendu, i really want to see how good he will be with the arrival of glenn robinson.