• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Answering our needs through a draft trade

capstone21

• Admin

IF Bogut goes number one and Gerald Green goes to Portand at 3 then I would propose a trade with NO for the #4 to get Paul as our PG. It would be Harrington/2 for Magloire/Paul.

We get our Center and Point Gaurd and still have not hurt our capspace to acquire the rest of our roster. Now our need becomes power forward. The good news here is that the Power Forward is plentiful this summer.

WE can overpay for Chandler now or go after Swift or Brown at a cheaper price. I would also want Chris Anderson. Great Energy off the bench at both C and PF. We still have money to go after one of the sgs

We resign Lue and go after a guy like Keith Bogans or Jason Kapano who can play SG and SF and can hit the open 3 and will be very cheap.

At 31 take the best player available.

Magloire/Drob

Swift or Brown or Chandler/Anderson

Childress/Smith

Hughes/Bogans/Diaw

Paul/Lue/Ivey

I like the #2/Al for #4/Magloire deal as far as filling our needs but I'm not sure if I'd take Paul over DWill, yet. If we got Magloire, though, I would not get into a bidding war for any of those hybrid PF/C's that will be overpaid this summer like Brown, Swift, Chandler or Dalembert.

• Admin

Well the trade opens up the option for either of the point guards. If you prefer Williams then we don't need to worry about Portland taking Green. I just have a feeling that Williams is going to be a very very solid point guard while Paul may become a star.

Swift and Brown will not command as much money as the other guys. Since we used Harrington's salary to cover most of Magloire then we can more then afford one of those guys. David Anderson is another option if he is as good as projected. This trade gives us more flexibity with what we need to do to fill our roster.

Having Josh Smith and Stromile Swift would worry me with having a lack of ball-handling and shooting on the court. That's why I'd almost consider going after Kwame over Stro if they came at close to the same price just b/c Kwame brings so much more in terms of skills. The question is, could Woody and being back in GA help Kwame turn his career around? It seems like he is just a non-passionate, lazy player to me. I guess we'll see. I have all my faith in BK. He does seem to have some interest in Stromile, though.

Deron Williams

Josh Childress

Josh Smith

Stromile Swift

Jamaal Magloire

Could that team do any damage? Defensively, I think that team under the right coaching could be dominant. You have the beef with Magloire, not a more athletic forward combo in the league with Smoove/Swift, a long SG, and a strong PG. On offense, however, it seems that ballhandling and shooting could be a real problem.

This is the best trade idea that I have seen. Magloire is unhappy in NO and they have Chris Andersen as their Center of the future. Clearly, Andersen is not the Center that Magloire is, but why keep a guy that simply does not want to stay? NO would have their marquee guy in Marvin and we will get our C/PG combo. Both teams make the best of their situations and that is the hallmark of a good trade.

Finding a power forward is easier than finding a PG and a Center. We could find a PF in the early second round or trade up and get a guy like Diogu. If that does not work out, we can go with what we have and wait a year to answer the PF situation next year.

The thing that worries me with Magloire is that I've read that he wants to be moved to Toronto. If I remember correctly, he is Canadian. Would he be any happier in Atlanta? I think he should b/c adding him and either Chris Paul or Deron Williams would make us a legit threat in the Eastern Conference. I look at those 5-8 seeded East teams and am just amazed at the lack of good teams.

I don't know why we'd do this. Look at the statistics - Magloire is not that good. Al's stats are better. So we'd be trading down to make a bad trade.

Why does everyone want to dump the #2 pick? When was the last time the hawks could pick so high? We've been drafting at lower levels for 20 years and got crap for it. Let's at least TRY for a franchise player. JFC !!!

yeti

Exactly....Well said. This would be a terrible terrible trade for the Hawks!!!

First off Magloire is not that good and he is aging and you are not only giving up your best player and most veteran player in Al you are also giving up the No. 2 pick for a No. 4 pick.

You are giving up a statistically better player and stepping down 2 draft picks and get nothing else!! Does that make any sense.

And to top it off your roster is full of rookies and second year players and one aging player in Magloire.

Whats the deal with the aging comment? He just turned 27 last month so he has at least 6 more good top years in him. You are talking about a guy who is one of the few legit Cs in the league with his size and with the way he plays. You guys are also using his stats from last year on a bad team and when he was injured most of the year as well which isnt right. The year before when he had PJ, Wesley, and Davis playing with him he was averaging almost 14ppg and 11rpg which are terrific numbers when you consider what most starting C's give you. I wouldnt hesitate for a second to make this deal since I am guaranteed getting one of the two elite level PGs from this draft plus filling in my 5 spot with a very talented still young big man. If Bogut is still there at #2 I highly doubt I would trade down, but its foolish to take Marvin when we have 2 other positions of tremendous need that a trade like this could completely solve and allow us more effectively use our FA money as well as take the BPA with our top 2nd round pick.

• 2 years later...