Someone answer me this..

emorystar

I think playing Josh Smith or Marvin Williams at PF is just stupid (in the bad way). Someone tried to tell me that JSmoove can't guard SG and SF's, so I figured I would pose this question..

Can Josh Smith guard LeBron James?

Michael Redd?

Wally Z?

Cuttino Mobley?

When Atlanta plays Cleveland, Marvin will check Hughes, and Josh will check LeBron, and they will do a good job defensively. Neither will be guarding Big Z or Gooden.

Not really

Not really.

Not really.

Not really.

I'll put Smith on Gooden any day before I put him on Hughes or Lebron. It might be a skill he can learn, but right now he gets abused by fast players who get him to bite on fakes. I mean he can D them up, but not that well. He would have no problem sticking with gooden, and swatting his shot out of the house when he puts a weak shot up.

There is even less of a chance Marvin can hang with Hughes.

It seems BK has already made that decision for us.

He is going to make Smoove bulk up as we've seen in his pictures, and he's going to make Marvin slim down.

I guess with's Smoove's blocking, and Marvin's shot. He had no other decision.

I'd put Smoove up against Drew Gooden any day. And I would like to see Marvin against LeBron. Hopefully Marvin would keep it close.

This is where Marvin was when he first got to UNC. I would like to see him here but leaner, with more definition. Marvin1.jpg

LOL. How many Hawks games did you watch last year?

Josh Smith is quick enough and strong enough to defend any perimeter player in the league.

Billy Knight knows that Josh Smith & Marvin Williams are both SF's. He will start both together at the 2/3. Both are athletic freaks, defense will not be a problem. Marvin has a sweet jump shot, and if you watched Josh Smith towards the end of the year he was gaining confidence in his jumper. This PF nonsense must end.

I watched about 75. I didn't say he wasn't quick enough, and I didn't say he wasn't strong enough. You're the one apparently saying he isn't strong enough to guard 4s. Josh is not that great of an on-man defender. He's a great help-defender and a fantastic shot-blocker. But he does not have good defensive fundamentals and gets fooled by fakes all the time. Larry Hughes would cross him over and lose him. It's not just a matter of speed.

Just like JT had every tool it takes to be a great defender, but just wasn't one.

Smith might learn the tools to defend 2s in the future, but at present you don't want him guarding 2s if you can have him guarding 3s or 4s.

You know there's a reason that you're basically the only person on here who thinks that he is a 2. He's about 10 lbs away from being Ben Wallace's height and weight.

because if you did, you would notice that Childress is our starting 2 guard, so you guys might want to get used to that. In case that's not enough for you, take into consideration that Bk and Woody have both said numerous times that Chillz is a 2.

Unless Childress is hurt, there is no way he wont be starting at the 2. At this point, my best guess would be that Smoove will start at the 3, Al at the 4, and Marvin will back up the SF position. If Al is moved for Curry that will change to Smoove moving to the 4, where he is more athletically skilled due to his being a monster shotblocker and intimidator. Anyone who watched the games last year saw a huge difference in how we played when Smoove was in the post compared to when he was out on the perimeter, mainly due to the fact that he isnt disciplined enough to stay on his man. He seems to prefer being in the post where he can rebound and block shots.

• Admin

I just don't know where you're getting this? Yah, Josh might have the lateral quickness to stay in front of "some" SG's in the league. That doesn't mean he can guard them. You think he can guard Rip? You think he can guard Kobe? You think he can guard T-mac? Those guys will eat him alive at this point in his career.

Come on man. Marvin and JSmoove are superstars. They are going to be the franchise players, and who the fans will come to see. Childress is a very nice player, but that is all he is. A career 6th man reserve in the Shane Battier mold. That is all he is, all he is ever going to be.

Quote:

That has nothing to do with their position. Smith-Williams is the forward combo of our future.

Replace forward with wing, and I agree with you.

Both are insanely talented 3's. I think Atlanta will start both, and not have a true SG. We will be able to get away with that because of our incredibly long PG and because Marvin & JSmoove will more than likely develop into two superstars.

• Admin

that either of them can play at the 2. All you said was childress isn't good enough to start and Marvin and smooth are both stars in the waiting. What that heck does any of that have to do with them playing the 2?

You put either of them at the 2 and we will get destroyed night in and night out by the likes of Kobe, Tmac, Vince, Ginobili, Jefferson, Hamilton, the list goes on and on and on. They CAN NOT guard those players.

They might not be perfect SG's but they aren't perfect PFs either. You could also say they will get killed by Duncan, Garnett, Rasheed, Amare(he's a PF now), etc. Part of this is because every team gets killed by great players, and not because they are bad for their position.

Quote:

I disagree with you,I think Chillz may eventually be a better 2 than Joe Johnson,at the end of the season he was putting up 17ppg, BK has already stated that Chillz is the starting SG.

Doesn't matter because if we get Joe Johnson he will play PG.

All 3 have skills that translate to both postions. That being said, BK has stated on more than one occasion that Childress is a SG and Smoove is a SF.

A look at our summer league team will give us a good idea of where our guys are likely to start out playing this summer. My guess is that Chillz will start at SG, Smoove will start at SF and Marvin will start at PF with Diaw at PG and who knows at Center.

It certainly won't shock me to see Smoove get some minutes at SG against certain lineups, particularly if we don't sign Joe Johnson, but I think he'll see a LOT more minutes at PF than SG. Same goes for Marvin.

# Player Pos Ht Birthdate College/Countryy Yrs

1 Josh Childress G 6-8 210 06/20/83 Stanford '04 1

64 Gyasi Cline-Heard F 6-8 230 08/16/79 Penn State '01 R

63 Jason Conley G 6-5 212 Missouri '05 R

13 Boris Diaw G/F 6-8 215 04/16/82 France 2

43 Sharrod Ford F 6-8 213 01/09/82 Clemson '05 R

25 Elliot Hatcher G 6-0 175 11/24/71 Kansas State '96 R

36 Royal Ivey G 6-3 200 12/20/81 Texas '04 1

45 Arthur Johnson C 6-9 255 12/20/81 Missouri '04 R

41 Lonnie Jones C 7-0 228 11/08/79 Ball State '02 R

4 Alex Lopez

8 Lamont McIntosh G 6-3 175 07/01/82 Georgia State '04 R

35 Jeremy McNeil C 6-8 255 03/11/80 Syracuse '04 R

33 Josh Powell F 6-9 225 12/05/83 N. Carolina State '03 R

22 Tre Simmons G 6-5 194 07/24/82 Washington '05 R

15 Donta Smith G 6-7 215 11/27/83 SE Illinois College '04 1

5 Josh Smith F 6-9 225 12/05/85 Oak Hill Academy '04 1

16 Omar Thomas G 6-5 205 02/27/82 UTEP '05 R

20 Salim Stoudamire G 6-1 186 10/11/82 Arizona '05 R

24 Marvin Williams F 6-9 228 06/19/86 North Carolina '05 R

12 Rashad Wright G 6-2 190 03/17/82 Georgia '04 R

Note that Chillz is listed as a G, Diaw is listed as a G/F and both Smoove and Marvin are listed as Fs. If the Hawks planned to play Smoove or Marvin at SG, why wouldn't they list them as G/Fs like Diaw?

Anyone else concerned about having a shooting guard that just finished a season making only 13 3s at a 23.2% clip? I don't deny that Childress will be our starting SG next season if the roster remains the same, but in the long run I think he's much better suited as a 6th man who can come in and play various positions.

I hope he's putting serious time into his jumpshot this summer if he's gonna be a successful 2 man.