• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Random Thoughts

tmac13

*To all those who don't want Eddy Curry..WE HAVE TO GET CURRY..We have no choice..Its either Curry now, or 2nd and 3rd tier guys for the next 3 or 4 years..Look at next years draft, even if we have our choice of centers, Josh Boone may be the best in the draft and he is no more than a small, below average NBA starting center..Look at the next few years free agency..Outside of an aging Ben Wallace(who will stay with Detroit) there is nothing available..All the good players stay on their current teams..If we have a legitimate chance to land a top 8 NBA center this year we have to do it..Curry is not perfect, but we have to hope our coaches and management can work on his shortcomings..I don't want Jason Collier and Mark Madsen to be our centers next year.

*The Hawks are changing radio stations in Atlanta..Horrible move..They are going from WSB 750, a huge clearchannel giant that can be heard not only throughout the city, but most of the state very well at night, to 790 the zone which litterally disapears at dark if you are not inside the Atlanta perimeter..A bad move for a team trying to build a fan base..Once again the Hawks ownership makes moves with no consideration of the fans.

*Anyone else think Salim may turn into Gilbert Arenas?..He may be the steal of the last several drafts..I would be so delighted if in 3 years he is considered the best point guard from this draft..

*If we get Curry, what do we do about interior defnse and rebounding?..Do we put Smoove at the 4 and tell him to clean the boards and swat any shot he can?..I actually think it would work great but can Woody get Smoove to accept a more Dennis Rodman type of role over the Dominique desires of Smoove?

*Will Chillz be okay with a 6th man type of role?..If we are lucky enough to get Joe Johnson, it seems a JJ/Salim backcourt may make alot more sense than a JJ/Chillz combination..With so many quick 1 and 2 guards in the east I don't see a JJ/Chillz duo working fulltime on the defensive end..Who is going to d up on Iverson, wade, Marbury etc...We may be forced to play Salim or Ivy alot for defensive reasons.

*Anyone else think the Suns management has made one of the alltime blunders in this Joe Johnson fiasco? They could have signed him last year for 6 years and 50 million..Instead they put him off and gave Q'Rich almost that same amount..This angers JJ..Then they turn around this year, trade Q'Rich, sign Raja Bell, all before they secure JJ..Now, they will either lose JJ or be forced to pay him the max..Strange moves by people that are supposed to be financial and basketball experts.

*As bad as we need bigmen, why don't we have anyone at all on our summer league roster that has a prayer of making the team? Why didn't the hawks offer Morris a 2 year 1 million dollar deal to keep and develope? I can't imagine Morris turning such an offer down.

That sucks about the radio station change. I live in Southwest GA and I can pick up 750 pretty well. I don't blame Billy Knight on this one, I blame Bernie Mullin and Arthur Triche. Marketing and Communciations is the part of the team they are responsible for making better or help to maintain.

Quote:

*To all those who don't want Eddy Curry..WE HAVE TO GET CURRY..We have no choice..Its either Curry now, or 2nd and 3rd tier guys for the next 3 or 4 years..Look at next years draft, even if we have our choice of centers, Josh Boone may be the best in the draft and he is no more than a small, below average NBA starting center..Look at the next few years free agency..Outside of an aging Ben Wallace(who will stay with Detroit) there is nothing available..All the good players stay on their current teams..If we have a legitimate chance to land a top 8 NBA center this year we have to do it..Curry is not perfect, but we have to hope our coaches and management can work on his shortcomings..I don't want Jason Collier and Mark Madsen to be our centers next year.

I agree and I am also sure BK brought Curry in to make him an offer. There is no doubt in my mind BK wants Curry. We will just have to wait and see as to how bad (much)

Quote:

*The Hawks are changing radio stations in Atlanta..Horrible move..They are going from WSB 750, a huge clearchannel giant that can be heard not only throughout the city, but most of the state very well at night, to 790 the zone which litterally disapears at dark if you are not inside the Atlanta perimeter..A bad move for a team trying to build a fan base..Once again the Hawks ownership makes moves with no consideration of the fans.

Cannot really comment on this ( I am now in Cincinnati) other than to say, there must be a reason which is probably cost.

*Anyone else think Salim may turn into Gilbert Arenas?..He may be the steal of the last several drafts..I would be so delighted if in 3 years he is considered the best point guard from this draft.

I think Salim was one of the steals of the draft if not "the steal". He will be a good player for a very long time.

*If we get Curry, what do we do about interior defnse and rebounding?..Do we put Smoove at the 4 and tell him to clean the boards and swat any shot he can?..I actually think it would work great but can Woody get Smoove to accept a more Dennis Rodman type of role over the Dominique desires of Smoove?

Smoove is gonna play defense and dunk I do not care where you play him. So my answer to that is yes.

Quote:

*Will Chillz be okay with a 6th man type of role?..If we are lucky enough to get Joe Johnson, it seems a JJ/Salim backcourt may make alot more sense than a JJ/Chillz combination..With so many quick 1 and 2 guards in the east I don't see a JJ/Chillz duo working fulltime on the defensive end..Who is going to d up on Iverson, wade, Marbury etc...We may be forced to play Salim or Ivy alot for defensive reasons.

I honestly do not know how that will work out other than to say six solid players can get 35 minutes and still have some minutes left over for the other role players.

Quote:

*Anyone else think the Suns management has made one of the alltime blunders in this Joe Johnson fiasco? They could have signed him last year for 6 years and 50 million..Instead they put him off and gave Q'Rich almost that same amount..This angers JJ..Then they turn around this year, trade Q'Rich, sign Raja Bell, all before they secure JJ..Now, they will either lose JJ or be forced to pay him the max..Strange moves by people that are supposed to be financial and basketball experts.

They blew it from a financial stand point and if they do not bring him back from a team standpoint. JJ was a big reason this year for their success and when he went down in the playoffs they had absolutely no one left to play D.

Quote:

*As bad as we need bigmen, why don't we have anyone at all on our summer league roster that has a prayer of making the team? Why didn't the hawks offer Morris a 2 year 1 million dollar deal to keep and develope? I can't imagine Morris turning such an offer down.

I don't know, I do like that big kid from Missouri? He was a rebounding monster in a decent conference. He also did pretty well with the blocks to. He is small but very strong.

The AJC's reporting that 750 dropped the Hawks, not the other way around?

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/haw...5hawkradio.html

"The Hawks, dropped by their longtime radio flagship station after last season, have found a new spot on the dial."

Hurts getting dropped when you're the hometown team! 680 The Fan would definitely have been a better choice for broadcasting reasons, but I like the Zone's programming much better these days. The best option would be Z93 or 96 Rock picking them up on the FM dial.

As for Randolph Morris, something just ain't right about that guy. Watching him in high school against Howard a couple times, he never seemed to impose his will and his intensity was completely vacant. I only watched two games, but it seemed like he just took what was there for him (which at 7-0 tall, was plenty to put up big numbers), rather than being the aggressor.

At Kentucky, he's been strange, too. Doesn't seem to work hard, and his relationship with Tubby has been so odd. Who faxes their coach that they're leaving the team???

His talent and potential are unquestionable, but until he snaps out of whatever he's in, I think we're better off without him.

I agree on Curry, he's the only guy I think we can get, especially at a decent price. Hopefully the older he gets, the more he's willing to improve his D and rebounding. A change of scenery can go both ways, but I love it when a guy leaves a town with something to prove, especially if he's going to a town with nothing but upside and a solid young foundation.

HORRIBLE

every night on my way to class, i can pick up 790 fine all the way to school, but when i leave at 9pm, there is no reception...and usually i watch the first half online in class and then listen to 3rd quarter on the way home and then watch the final quarter on tv when i get home

sigh

I know it is frustrating to miss 790 at night in the burbs because of the station's lower wattage, but it will help the Hawks with overall coverage and potential buzz. The radio talking heads will be talking Hawks basketball far more than they have in the past which is a good thing. Also remember than many small town a.m. stations will carry Hawks basketball at night.