• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons News

Dukegotgame

ATLANTA -- Lacking the kind of size typically necessary to successfully play the 3-4 front, the Atlanta Falcons addressed that shortcoming Sunday by signing former Indianapolis Colts defensive tackle Ellis Johnson, ESPN.com has learned.

The Falcons also acquired third-year wide receiver Trevor Gaylor in a trade, sending an undisclosed choice in the 2004 draft to the San Diego Chargers for the former Miami of Ohio star. To reach the mandatory 53-player roster limit, Atlanta released wide receiver Quentin McCord, fullback George Layne and cornerback Darrick Vaughn.

A seven-year veteran and the Colts' first-round choice in the 1995 draft, Johnson was jettisoned last week after he approached Indianapolis officials and asked to be released. He said he felt he did not fit well into the one-gap scheme implemented by new coach Tony Dungy and coordinator Ron Meeks, and preferred more playing time.

Johnson, 28, signed a three-year contract worth $4.5 million, with a signing bonus of $1 million and a base salary of $650,000 for 2002. There were a number of other teams interested in Johnson, but some offered just one-year contracts, and others simply did not appeal to him as much as the situation with the new-look Falcons defense.

The Colts left the door open for his return, telling Johnson he could return if he didn't find work elsewhere, but he seemed determined to find a new home.

The former University of Florida standout, who weighs about 288 pounds, has the kind of size the Falcons have lacked upfront as they convert to the 3-4 front under Wade Phillips, their coordinator in his first year with the club. Although he will play some at tackle, spelling starter Ed Jasper there, it's expected Johnson will line up primarily at end.

A lingering abdominal injury that has kept Travis Hall off the field for the entire preseason and a shoulder injury that will sideline Shane Dronett the entire year has left the Falcons without size at defensive end. Phillips has stressed the importance of speed in the 3-4, but opponents have been able to run on Atlanta in the preseason, and the front is difficult to play without bigger ends.

The addition of Johnson, a stalwart in his seven years with the Colts, might allow Patrick Kerney to move to right end in pass-rush situations. Kerney had 12 sacks for the Falcons in 2001. Certainly the acquisition just further upgrades a unit that underachieved last year, when it ranked No. 30 in the NFL, but which should be much improved this season.

Johnson already was in Atlanta on Sunday and is expected to begin practice with the Falcons on Monday, and probably will play in the opener Sunday at Green Bay. He visited with Falcons officials Friday and, despite thinking about a few other options, clearly liked what he saw and heard.

He has 271 tackles, 33 sacks, four forced fumbles, two interceptions and 20 pass deflections in his career, which includes 104 appearances and 84 starts. Over the past five seasons, Johnson averaged 15.2 starts. His best season was in 1998 when he registered 55 tackles and eight sacks.

In Gaylor, the Falcons are getting a big, physical wide receiver who did not live up to his billing with the Chargers, but who might benefit from a change of scenery. Given the team's need for a young deep threat, the deal could turn out to be a good one for the Falcons.

A fourth-round choice in the 2000 draft, Gaylor, 24, has played in 21 games and started five contests. He has 27 catches for 399 yards and one touchdown.

He is a tough player and Tony Dungy wanted to keep him bad, but Dungy likes to rotate his defensive lineman and Johnson refused to be a part of a rotation so he asked to be cut or traded. The Dolphins talked to him but he didnt want to be part of our defensive rotation and he wouldnt start for us. Gaylor could be a good signing also. He has some potential.

a MUCH better special teams player than Smith and the reality is that neither Smith nor Jervey was likely to see very many carries behind Dunn & Duckett. I like Mo Smith too and I'm sorry to see him go but it is probably a good thing for him. I won't be surprised at all to see him being a contributor on another team before its all said and done. I wish him well.

Johnson has been a weak run defender his entire career. The Falcons also play a 3-4 defense, and Johnson isn't a two gap player that can play on the nose. This is just another bad move in a long list of bad moves for the Falcons. They keep adding players that don't fit the scheme they want to run. They have effectively neutralized the abilities of their two best defenders, Keith Brooking and Patrick Kearney. Now, they add a player that isn't any better than the guy they currently have at NG.

I see the Falcons are in for a long season.

I think the 3-4 will create even more opportunities for Brooking to make plays and if Hall can get healthy, Kearney can move to right end where he played in college. I think Kearney will be great there and Brady Smith can come off the bench. We'll see about Ellis Johnson but I expect him to play some at DE as well. I DO think the Falcons need a big run stuffing NT to compliment what Catfish and Johnson will bring to the table. The big thing right now though is to get all the linebackers (and Hall) healthy so that we can see where we are. I'm also concerned about the safeties. If the D-Line and linebackers can get healthy, I think that safety is the biggest weakness on the defense.