How does this affect the Magic...?

Magic bolster frontcourt with addition of Kemp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Orlando Magic, taking a gamble to shore up their thin front line, signed troubled power forward Shawn Kemp to a free-agent contract Thursday.

Kemp is a six-time All Star, but weight and drug problems have sent his career into a tailspin. In the last two seasons with Portland, he averaged 6.3 points and 3.8 rebounds -- about a third of what he compiled during his prime with Seattle in the 1990s.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Kemp entered a drug rehabilitation center for cocaine use in April 2001, near the end of his first season as a Trail Blazer. He returned for the 2001-02 season, but was suspended for five games in February for failing to comply with his aftercare program.

Last month, Kemp reportedly agreed to forfeit more than $25 million of the $46.5 million left on his contract with the Blazers, and the team waived him.

Originally selected 17th overall in the 1989 NBA draft by the Sonics, Kemp has played in 972 career games in 13 seasons with Seattle, Cleveland and Portland, averaging 15.2 points and 8.6 rebounds. He was named to the All-NBA Second Team in 1994, `95 and `96 -- averaging 18.8 points and 11 rebounds in those seasons.

"This is a great opportunity for me,'' the 33-year-old Kemp said in a statement released by the Magic. "I've always felt that I have had a great relationship with Doc (Rivers, Orlando's coach) and look forward to playing with the guys.''

Orlando is desperate for a front line presence it has lacked the past two seasons. Last year, the Magic ranked 27th in scoring defense and 25th in rebounds.

In this offseason, the Magic overhauled almost their entire corps of big men.

Gone are Patrick Ewing (team bought out his contract), Don Reid (traded to Denver) and Monty Williams (left as a free agent). In their place, Orlando drafted power forward Ryan Humphrey and signed free agent forward-center Olumide Oyedeji a month later.

But Orlando lost reserve center Steven Hunter for 4-to-6 months when he tore a ligament in his right knee.

"Under the circumstances, and in addressing some of our needs, this is an opportunity for both the Magic and Shawn,'' Orlando general manager John Gabriel said. "We look forward to his return to the Eastern Conference. We feel we have a solid coaching staff, organization and the right leadership in place to make this a win-win situation.''

Rivers said he's aware of what he's getting with Kemp.

"I know the history here, but I'm a believer in giving people opportunities,'' Rivers said. "Shawn is a great passer, a heck of a rebounder and can still shoot. Is he a savior? No, but he has a chance at addressing some of our needs.

"I am willing to take that chance.''

• Premium Member

Now they have 2 guys who can play both Pf and C in Grant and Kemp. If Hill is truly back... This team will be explosive.

The question is....

Will Kemp lose the weight?

How fast will Hunter Come along?

If the answer to both of those questions is Positive, Orlando will be a running team with a great perimeter game. Kemp and Grant are also very good rebounders.

The problem is that unless Kemp loses the weight, they won't be able to stop anybody with a transition game. Teams like NJ, Boston will still eat them up because running leads to scores against a Hobbled Hill, a Fat Kemp, and a slow minded Miller.

• Admin

I think both guys will never be more than role players now. Their all star years have passed and they let them slip by. Baker does have the better chance of coming back to All Star form since he plays a more rounded game. Kemp relied more on his hops and that is now gone.

• Premium Member

Actually, Kemp was quite an able Rebounder. He could also score in the post.

Even with his cocaine & weight problem in Cleveland, he still put up 20/10 when he was playing PF full time. I believe that if Orlando can get him in decent shape (maybe 80% of what he used to be) and if they can get a Big C they will have a shot at watching him become a 18/9 player. That would open the door for Tmac/Miller to rule from the perimeter. The question is... What about defense? Tmac is the only defensive player they have.

If Kemp losses weight and adjusts his game

some he could return to 14/8 production some

where along the lines of Derrick Coleman.

I think Baker is better than him at the current

time.Did anyone notice his few good games in

the playoffs againest Duncan?He was actually

able to score on Duncan WHEN HE WAS AGGRESSIVE.