Collier1.65
Smith, J.1.371.462.24
Smith, D.0.720.74
Ivey0.720.74
Stoudamire0.720.740.77
Player #120.72
TOTALS38.2927.3728.8524.4715.20

Guest Walter

That's a really clean payroll. No "mistakes" at all. I give him some grief sometimes, but he is a good businessman as well as talent evaluator. One more reason to question Belkin's rationale for stonewalling the JJ deal. BK isn't bad on the books or often wrong about talent.

W

Quote:

That's a really clean payroll. No "mistakes" at all. I give him some grief sometimes, but he is a good businessman as well as talent evaluator. One more reason to question Belkin's rationale for stonewalling the JJ deal. BK isn't bad on the books or often wrong about talent.

Very true.

Great visual post. It lets us clearly see the future implications of contracts. It's also, as others have said, a testament to BK's foresight in financial planning. For a good example of planning in another sport, look at how Schuerholz has managed to work within AOL's budget by securing a core of veteran players while integrating younger players who can immediately play (the value of drafting young players and not rushing them to the majors without cause or public pressure). For a team who has worked in the opposite direction, look at the Yankees, whose giant payroll hasn't yielded the results you would expect from such a giant investment. Only now are they starting to realize the value of younger players. And it's a good thing their income is so enormous or they would be paying a much higher price for their excesses. The Braves model should have some application to the NBA as well--a core of higher paid vets and FAs with a surrounding group of younger, developing players (Chillz, Smoove, MWill, and Salim) who will contribute without eating a giant bite out of the salary cap until they are ready to extend their contracts. This is what makes team in leagues with caps sucessful over the long haul.

• Moderators

Quote:

How does Johnson get 70 million?? I can't figure out on a way to work those numbers, even with the 20 million start.

I think JJ's contract actual builds interest upon interest in the raise so that the amount of the raise each year grows as the previous year's base salary grows. That would account for the small difference between the numbers posted and the reported totals for his contract.