• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC Al Harrington Article

Lascar78

No new info, other than Woody basically throwing in his 2 cents and seemingly hinting that he'd like Al to stay, or at least be well taken care of. Good to see the Hawks in the AJC though

Link

Pivotal season for forward

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/03/05

This could be the last training camp for Al Harrington in a Hawks uniform. Or it could be the second of what could be many more.

At this point, no one is quite sure.

But the unspoken significance of every moment, every second even, is clear for the Hawks' versatile veteran forward who is in the last year of his contract.

Is he here until the NBA's February trade deadline or for the long haul?

"As of right now I'm a Hawk, and that's all that matters," Harrington said before today's start of camp with media day. "I'm a true professional, and I'm treating this season like I do every season. So I'm here to do work and help my team. Everything else is what it is."

With Harrington, All-Rookie pick Josh Smith and No. 2 overall draft pick Marvin Williams playing what appears to be the same position, the rumblings about Harrington's possible departure began on draft night and haven't let up.

As valuable as Harrington is to a still young Hawks team on the floor and in the locker room, he could be even more valuable at the bargaining table as the season progresses.

Playoff caliber teams eager for a shot at a championship are always looking to add difference-makers near the trade deadline.

Usually, most any serviceable talent will do, provided they can fill a specific role. But the chance to acquire a 6-foot-9, 245-pound workaholic with a knack for scoring inside and out, and a history — save for last season's 13-69 campaign with the Hawks — of playing a vital role in winning situations, is sure to entice many teams.

"I know there are teams out there that feel like I can be a difference-maker or whatever," Harrington said, "but that's really not up to me. I'm here to do whatever I can for the Atlanta Hawks to win games. All I want to do is win. Whatever it takes, I'm going to do it because I can't take another season like last year."

The Hawks began the 2004-05 season on roller skates. They had a new coaching staff and a reshaped roster, headlined by Harrington and veteran forward Antoine Walker, who was in the last year of his contract.

By the time Walker was sent to Boston at the trade deadline, the foundation for a disastrous season was in place.

But it was perhaps the weeks after Walker departed that best highlighted Harrington's true value. He and Tyronn Lue carried the team throughout the remainder of a tumultuous season.

Harrington led the Hawks in points (17.5), rebounds (7.0) and minutes played (36.8), playing with an aching back and sore knee while also shouldering the bulk of the responsibility internally and publicly as the losses mounted.

That's why Hawks coach Mike Woodson said the contributions made last year can't be overlooked now with all sides pondering Harrington's future.

"You can't just kick Al or Lue to the curb, because they were pretty good for us last year," Woodson said. "We can't ignore that. And that's why we brought Lue back here. He's a big part of the puzzle here. Al Harrington is a big part of that puzzle, too. Whether he thinks he is or not, he is.

"Yeah, he's going into the last year of his contract, but if he does what we think he can and does what's expected of him, he'll be rewarded for that. Any team will reward a player for his positive play on and off the floor, and helping these other guys get better. That's what it's all about."

• Premium Member

We are too young to trade Al.

Plus, I think Al can be the lead scorer for this team. I suppose that he and JJ can be a dynamic duo scoring wise... Giving us an instant inside out game.

I think that we are finished looking for the draft to build us up, if you look at us, we have some fairly good pieces... enough to trade with and enough to build on, so it's time for us to move on.

Since Smooth's beefed up and has an inconsistent outside shot, could Al potentially be moved back to SF? I think he'd be a little more comfortable going against guys closer to his size than overmatched by big PF's too.

Whether people believe it or not WE NEED Al Harrington!! He is and probably will continue to be our best player.

Is he a superstar that can carry a team all by himself? NO.....but he is very important to the success of this team.

Also this is a very very young team. Al is our only true veteran.

What big man out there would you trade Al for? I thought Curry for Al trade would have been a done deal, but after further review I am glad we didn't pull that move. Curry was the most potentially talented big out there. Who else would you trade Al for?

JJ is our best player no matter what position he plays and Childress will become better than Al before the year is out. I like Al but he's a role player on a good team and a starter on a bad one. So if he remains our best player then we're still a bad team

I like the intangibles he brings and his veteran leadership but I just don't see him staying through the year...

I like the depth we have at the 2,3,4 spots. It's a long season and there will be some guys injured - and the rookies may not be ready for such a long season. We should be able to keep some fresh legs on the court. So I'd like to keep Al. Then work on point guard and center next year. (Next year I'll be upset if we get another 6'8" forward.)

Happy Tuesday, yeti

yeah, if we get another 6'8/6'9 swingman next year, then i'll be upset

but for now we are just about perfect on our depth charts for 2-4 if everyone pans out...the ONLY issue is that we can't start all 4 of our 2-4s...tho they can all get 30+mpg...that may work itself out in a trade or if one of the four ends up being best as 6th man