• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

DJ is done for the season :(

chillzatl

• Admin

I was just told that he's done for the season. The doctors said something to the effect that he shouldn't even be jogging for nearly a year. The good is that he should make a full recovery and shouldn't have any long term problems from it.

Disappointing news, maybe we'll get a medical exception out of this?

He'll get paid for this year, then enter free agency, where the Hawks will likely sign him to a minimum deal to let him work out with the team for a year on the IL (his second year on the list).

Remember, they might not even know if he can attempt a comeback until next summer, as everyone has been warned about his delicate healing schedule.

So what business sense does it make to pick up that option?

They won't do it.

It's like the Ron Gant motor scooter incident, except nobody knows if DerMarr will be cleared to play basketball again next year or when he ever will.

Another thing, the NBA is hypersensitive to circumventing the salary cap in any way, so don't expect the Hawks to pay DerMarr to be a "bench coach" or get a job in the front office unless his career really is over. Otherwise, the NBA may put him on the cap anyway.

I trained Shawn Bryson this summer for several weeks and helped him out with a nagging shoulder injury. However, DJ's injury is well beyond my sports specific orthopaedic PT experience.

I thought the Hawks would pick up the option as much out of the kindness of their heart and PR, but your argument is strong as it is a business and AOL already is going into Luxury tax land trading for G-Rob.

W

If we keep Dermarr after his contract runs out

he will probably be signed to a really small

contract.He might not be a Hawk in the future

as we have put oursleves in cap problems

and have no ability to do much of anything.